S.I.R. 100W SuperLead Schematic pt. II

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

CoffeeTones
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: S.I.R. 100W SuperLead Schematic pt. II

Post by CoffeeTones » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:03 am

There are similarities in the first three preamp cathodes but many differences in plate resistor values, attenuation between stages, peaking, smoothing, the tone stack, fourth stage cathode and master volume. These will make a great difference in voicing and feel. The cathodes may be coincidental, but which preamp was designed first? Only the second designer could say if he borrowed ideas from the first. Borrowing happens a lot in amp design.
:rockon:
Last edited by CoffeeTones on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snakepit86

Post by snakepit86 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:46 pm

Roe wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:22 am
Roe wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:08 am
The CAE3+ lead channel looks surprisingly similar to a #39 preamp: http://www.lordriffenstein.com/images/cae-3+.jpghttp://f.defaut.free.fr/perso/DIY/CAE%203_SE.bmp
Any comments on this? the typology of the CAE is very similar but the voicing may be somewhat different?
had on JMP with this mod, directly from Suhr's right hand, Mr Martin Golub, Great amp, great mod but with some dead points.

The amp has some snarly tone, not too, not really de AFD tone. The caswell #39 i had on the bech sounded WAY more afd if you know how to dial it

my two cents

Roe

Post by Roe » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:18 am

that's useful - thanks
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

sonoman1979

Post by sonoman1979 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:21 am

Does anybody knows what amp did slash use in this concert, jcm800?

https://youtu.be/75NEcJLhlcw

CoffeeTones

Post by CoffeeTones » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:54 am

I believe #36 raw, Mk.V modded.

"Bottom line is based on an amplifier (that took me a year to do), a Marshall 1959T that I modded for Billy Squier when he was recording Signs Of Life...all of the guitar tracks on the album is done with the SquierFire. Before I left NYC for LA, I scaled-down the SquierFire mod so I could mod Marshalls by adding an additional tube (which is already there in a 1959T)....this became the Mk.V series of my mods. There are many Mk.V series modded amps of mine out there.
When I was @ SIR-LA, I replaced a guy named Dave (who had replaced Tim Caswell) in the repair shop. Glenn Buckley was my immediate boss. SIR-39 modded by Tim Caswell sat on the shelf for months and months UNRENTED! I convinced Glenn to let me mod it like thee amps I had been doing in NYC. He agreed. The first thing to be removed was the entire Caswell mod including the switch! The SIR-LA #39 Caswell mod NO LONGER EXISTED! SIR-LA #39 was no entirely MY MODIFICATION. SIR-LA #36 is a copy of MY MODDED SIR-LA#39! It is in NO WAY any copy of any of Caswells work.
A gentleman named John Rhymas (not certain of the spelling) contacted me upon many, many occasions @ SIR-LA wanting to get the story of #39, #36. etc. Unfortunately, by that time I was having some serious problems with cocaine and alcohol...and had very little patience to deal with anything other than modding amps and a pending contract with FourLife/HIWATT. Some where I still have a letter from Johyn R.--as soon as I find it I will make you a copy and send it to you.
In the long run, it REALLY annoys me that Glenn Buckley never stepped up to the plate and told the TRUTH about SIR-LA #39 and #36. But, he and Tim were close friends...much closer than Glenn and I. It also annoys me that Slash never once contacted me about #39,36 or 34...I had known Slash for years and had been working on his gear long before I worked at SIR-LA. Furthermore, Del James, who I have known since he was 16 or 17 when he lived in Mamaroneck, NY (2 townsw away from where I lived then) worked for Slash and GnR for years and never contacted me either. Then again, Marshall knew my name when they had #34 and they never contacted me either.
I am clean and sober for 10 years now...yes there are alot of things I would like to change in my past...but it is the PAST...I do not live in the past, I live in the now and plan for the future. I am a very humble person...Guitar Player interviewed a bunch of us amp techs in the 80's...most tech had 4-5+ paragraphs...I had one, two at the most...an ad on the page next to my paragraphs curiously had the catch phrase "Less is More".
I have had some caswell amps in my shop...they do NOT sound like #39 because they are Caswells #39, NOT Frank Levi #39! I have one in my shop now. I do NOT participate in the forums because they are so "jaded"...so Caswell brain-washed...I cannot spend the time on a "lost cause"...99% of the designs are WRONG! I made another #39 this year for a close friend of mine. I do NOT plan to make another one. Honestly, Iand I will tell anyone this, BRBS is the ONLY amp that really does sound like #39.
BTW; The orig. mod had EL34's in it...later changed to 6550s.
I hope this helps you, my friend. If you need more info, I'll do my best to get it for you...I am still in contact with people that visited the sIR-LA shop and played #39 as well as #36.
Cheers, Frank Levi"

CoffeeTones

Post by CoffeeTones » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:28 am

Supposedly the same mod used on this album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0ySVigKRo

sonoman1979

Post by sonoman1979 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:49 am

Very interesting reading Duane. Mr. Levi said that orinal mod had el34s and then changed to 6550s, but when they were replaced?, I think that AFD recording was done with 6550s.

snakepit86

Post by snakepit86 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:12 pm

CoffeeTones wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:54 am
I believe #36 raw, Mk.V modded.

" Honestly, Iand I will tell anyone this, BRBS is the ONLY amp that really does sound like #39.
Cheers, Frank Levi"
did you post this before?

i thing BRBS is not as close to the real #36 as other members like Duke, PuroMojo or me.

Listen to the Mr brownstone mixed by Alan Niven, the guitar mid hump desappear and sound more like a Jose amp, so it led me to conclude that most of the mid boost wah like agression in the slash guitar track was for the console and mastering, not the real.

I do not use a .1 cap on my #36 and sounds awesome, i get my mids from my LP, pickups and speakers

ANYONE ELSE DID WONDER WHY #34 HAS TOO MUCH MIDS AND #36 DID NOT?

CoffeeTones

Post by CoffeeTones » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:42 pm

I did not write that. It was supposedly a quote of Frank Levi. BRBS is not the closest sounding to me. BRBS did capture the sound at one point but lost it and never got it back.

I also think the .1uF sucks. It is too thin. #34 is actually too thin, so the .68uF presence works good. Also, remember #34 had the bright cap on a switch according to the Santiago scheme. I'd have the 150k on a switch too.

The unprocessed, #36 MK V was very likely fatter and more Fender like than most think. Most everyone shoots for the processed tone. Listen to the beginning of "My Michele" and "Don't Cry" in the Ritz video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75NEcJL ... e=youtu.be

herbvis

Post by herbvis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Not 36. The amp was recovered in the summer of 1987 by sir. :(

Could be a jubilee.
Last edited by herbvis on Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoffeeTones

Post by CoffeeTones » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:11 pm

You're right, could be a Jube. I didn't recall the date of the #36 repo.

herbvis

Post by herbvis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:21 pm

I think it may be a jube. His tone in the video sounds similar to the shows that I saw on their current tour. I think he used jcm2210s around that time period as well.

And yes, the .1uf does suck lol

snakepit86

Post by snakepit86 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:50 pm

CoffeeTones wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:42 pm
I did not write that. It was supposedly a quote of Frank Levi. BRBS is not the closest sounding to me. BRBS did capture the sound at one point but lost it and never got it back.

I also think the .1uF sucks. It is too thin. #34 is actually too thin, so the .68uF presence works good. Also, remember #34 had the bright cap on a switch according to the Santiago scheme. I'd have the 150k on a switch too.

The unprocessed, #36 MK V was very likely fatter and more Fender like than most think. Most everyone shoots for the processed tone. Listen to the beginning of "My Michele" and "Don't Cry" in the Ritz video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75NEcJL ... e=youtu.be
sorry, i mean that it was frank's words, i asked if you posted this quote before because it is familiar to me.

I was talking about the .1 cathode cap, not the presence cap

snakepit86

Post by snakepit86 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:52 pm

herbvis wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:21 pm
I think it may be a jube. His tone in the video sounds similar to the shows that I saw on their current tour. I think he used jcm2210s around that time period as well.

And yes, the .1uf does suck lol
i think its more likely be a 2210 or 2203, a 2203 just straight sounds like this.

I always wanted to know what amps did slash use in the gap between #36 and the jubilees

CoffeeTones

Post by CoffeeTones » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:53 pm

snakepit86 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:50 pm
CoffeeTones wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:42 pm

sorry, i mean that it was frank's words, i asked if you posted this quote before because it is familiar to me.

I was talking about the .1 cathode cap, not the presence cap
So was I.