What is the importance the POWER TRANSFORMERS with the LEAD AND MERCURY from 60s to early 70s MARSHALLS TO TODAYS?MEGA I

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

daneswede1
Just the numbers in order: 13492

What is the importance the POWER TRANSFORMERS with the LEAD AND MERCURY from 60s to early 70s MARSHALLS TO TODAYS?MEGA I

Post by daneswede1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:30 pm

I love Metro and Georges amps . Just resigned up to forum. Anyway , This question has been asked I'm sure however the IMPORTANCE OF MY QUESTION ABOVE. I hear about Heybour, Dagn, MM etc top replacement power and output transformers and they sound great....

WHAT IS THE SONIC DIFFERANCE IN AN OLD LEAD AND MERCURY FILLED POWER TRANNIE VS A NEW REPLACEMENT. THX TO ALL!!!JAMES IS BACK. sorry for all the caps. First post back. Last time capping out....

danman

Re: What is the importance the POWER TRANSFORMERS with the LEAD AND MERCURY from 60s to early 70s MARSHALLS TO TODAYS?ME

Post by danman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:53 pm

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any lead or mercury inside any vintage transformers other than the small amount of lead from the solder used. I suppose the metal used to make the laminates could contain some amounts though. I would have to guess the sound differences between new and old iron is due to the differences in wire and metal that is manufactured today.

daneswede1

Re: What is the importance the POWER TRANSFORMERS with the LEAD AND MERCURY from 60s to early 70s MARSHALLS TO TODAYS?ME

Post by daneswede1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:47 am

The DIFFERANCE in wire and metal that is used today compared to the wire and metal used from yesteryear.?? O.k.

Someone told me lead and mercury was used in the construction of the old P.T.'S and O.T.'S, and choke. Perhaps the wire and metal they use as you state.
The fact that some companies take more time and care when constructing these pieces. I remember Eddie getting pissed after blowing his 3rd P.T. . Then when Peavey was with him he took three years before he endorsed that 5150 amp.

Anyway, I think there is more to add along with these two critical factors. Material used and the construction of the parts.
I bought a 1959HW back in 04'. I remember turning it up and it just did not sound right. My tech put an Heyboar in it. It did have a different response sonically. I was about to start replacing caps but stopped and sold it opting to buy a 77' NMV.
You still could find with some searching and layout 2-3k for a 69 superlead BACK THEN..
THX for the info. I see so many posts talking about how important the old transformers are and their replacement bretheren.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:08 pm

Old amps are typically the sum of their parts, including the transformers. Very few clone amps with new transformers, new filter caps sound exactly like the ones they are trying to emulate. Transformers are part of the equation.
I have a 65 JTM45 that had a blown transformer - everything else is 100% original as it was in 1965 (except for the NOS Mullard ECC83s, GZ34 and KT66s) but including all the caps etc.
It sounds fantastic, as good as any others I have heard or played, I tried two OTs in it (corksniffing) the Dagnall that Marshall had fitted and a Marstran 789-74 both sound identical. Definitely one George should put through his analyser.
:what:
Neil

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:11 pm

the OTs matter more than the PTs, I believe. As long as the PTs got the right voltages and sag/response they seem to be good
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39