1987 Head Shell?

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

revolver1
Just the numbers in order: 7

1987 Head Shell?

Post by revolver1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:08 pm

Does anyone know the dimensions of an original 68, 69 or 70, 50watt 1987 small box (no vent) head shell?

Not including the feet just the width depth and height of the wood shell?

Wattever

Re: 1987 Head Shell?

Post by Wattever » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:12 pm

I have a drawing of what I think is the one you're after.

PM me an e-mail address, and I'll send it to you.

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 am

Thanks wattever. :toast:

Wattever

Post by Wattever » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:54 am

It should be on it's way. :thumbsup:

If you figure out what kind of fasteners to use to attach the front panel, (not shown on the drawing) Please let me know.

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:43 am

I am seeing a few slight differences in dimensions including Marshalls 1987 re-issue.

Has anyone got an original they could get the dims off?
It's the height I'm mostly interested in.

Cheers

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:49 am

Whatever, not sure if I'm missing the point but as I understand it the side elevation showes a square strip of timber at the front of the cab running from top to bottom. This is fixed (glued and screwed) to the side panels, one either side and the front panel is then fixed to these strips by screws from the inside.

Wattever

Post by Wattever » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:52 am

I see the blocks that the face panel attaches to, but being only 3/8 thick Baltic, I can't imagine normal wood screws getting much grip into the front panel.

I wondered if they used something like this

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/s ... chine-head

under the tolex to attach it more securely.

Sorry the dimensions are off on that drawing. (I didn't create it, so I assumed it was right.)

If you find what the correct size is, let me know, and I'll try to add it to the drawing for future reference. (Not that it will help the 2 shells I’ve got cut and finger jointed already.) :cry:

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:36 pm

Oh, I'm not saying the dims are wrong. I have a cab that I suspect is a little short height wise and when I started looking into it I'm seeing quite a variance between different builders. Not a lot of difference really but not consistent.

There is no top vent so I was thinking about overheating.

Since I've never even seen an original 68/69 in the flesh I was hoping someone who actually owns one may be able to shed some light.

I see what you mean about the front panel thickness.
It does sound like there isnt much for the screw to fix to.

I wouldn't know the thickness of the front panel on my Mojo cab I stripped but from memory it was about 8 or 9 ply, enough to get a fixing. Don't know if that helps.

The screws were fairly thin self tapping type with a course thread but that is definitely the way it was done.

I did a thread in the DIY amp build section titled "2203 build, attempting image links" not long ago. There is a pic of the stripped cab, you may be able to zoom in on it and get a look at least if you do it on your phone.

And wow doing the finger joints your self :worthy:

Having built it your self I'm sure it will look great and you'll always have that satisfaction of having done it for sure.

Wattever

Post by Wattever » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:12 am

Actually, finger joints are pretty easy, once you get the equipment and build a jig.

Like you seem to be, I prefer to learn how to do things myself, if the learning process seems interesting enough.

The ultimate goal, with all of this building/buying cabs for recovering, is to get good enough at it to do the top handle pinstripe I came into a few years ago.

These head shells I plan to add the piping grooves to learn how to cover them. I have a feeling I’ll prefer that to doing the complete one piece wrap that I did on an old 800 series 1960 I did.

I found your naked cab pics, and looked at them. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Took a few threads to find it, but I really enjoyed looking at all your build pics. EXCELLENT work!!! :clap:

I now know why Mustards are so hard to come by, you've used them all! :P

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:48 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Guilty.....

Sorry it was in the master volume builds not the DIY. My mistake.

I agree, the learning process is quite addictive. If only I enjoyed school this much.