Everything We Know So Far

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Ralle

Re: Everything We Know So Far

Post by Ralle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 am

Recorded this today... the timing isn't what it's supose to, but any ways... it sounds a bit more fat due to my les paul with the 500t pu. Plus the fact that I don't have any pedals like the phase 90 or anything... just the amps. Reverb and slight slapback delay from cubase.
https://soundcloud.com/user-158645024
I know there's probably more to do, like tuning in the amps more alike ( I'm one of those that doesn't belive Ed did crank his amp ), on this clip the setting as follows: Main amp: precense full, bass at 9 aclock, mid full, treble slightly backe down to somewhere around 3ish aclock, gain at apr. 11.30 a clock, normal channel vol is off.
PA amp: presence at 9 aclock, bass at 9ish, mids at 3, treble at 2, master at allmost nothing ( bedroom volumes ) gain/volume, at 12, tone at 1 o r 2... the numbers shows clockwise, not what it says one knobs...
So I guess depending on what room, venu, cabs and guitars/pu goes we won't be able to replicate Ed's sound to 100%, plus the fact that he reamped on the album ( if he did that on all songs? ), imagine what could be done through the mixer console, and how that affects the sound... You can say that this just one of the many variations of the sound, just as Ed had the opportunity to do... But like I said before, I just want the amps... the rest is mine. :wink:

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jnew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:05 am

Thank you for the details. Your clip sounds really good. I completely agree about Ed not running VOL I completely on 10. I guess some people have had amps where it all stays together but all of my amps (as well as 2 original 68's that I've played) seem to have their sweet spots anywhere between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions, or 5 and 8 as would be indicated on the panel. However :lol: having said that, the RWTD clip I posted earlier did have it ALL up to 10. But for any other VH songs with more articulate single note rhythm type stuff, like FYLT, Jamie's Cryin, etc, it just doesn't work. Volume back down to about 6, or like the 1 o'clock position. Yep, amps are funny like that. :roll:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:09 am

Wow... For some reason I couldn't post this clip on soundcloud, due to copyright issues... they removed it... I disputed it, so let's see what happens... to be continiued :shock:
I don't get it... RWTD is up there...

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:24 am

Ralle wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:01 pm
Sorry, I didn't read you question correct; I hava a big 8 ohm effect resistor as a load for the main amp, and after that the signal is tapped across this 0.68 ohm resistor into the seccond amp. Use a speaker cable into the load and a guitar cable out from the lineout...
Why are you using an 8-ohm resistor for the load verse a 16-ohm resistor?...Your not running your main amp in 50w mode by pulling two of the output tubes are you? Come to think of it; isn't your 4x12 cab loaded with four 8-ohm Celestion GB's?

jnew

Post by jnew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:36 pm

I had that problem before with Soundcloud. I switched to soundclick.com and never had any more problems. Except for forgetting convert to MPEG from a different format. :?

I do believe Ralle's cab is loaded with 8 ohm, 6402 coned Greenbacks. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:18 pm

"Why are you using an 8-ohm resistor for the load verse a 16-ohm resistor?...Your not running your main amp in 50w mode by pulling two of the output tubes are you? Come to think of it; isn't your 4x12 cab loaded with four 8-ohm Celestion GB's?"

I pulled two tubes, but I switched the ohm selector to 4 ohm so that it would fit the 8 ohm cab, no difference there...

DeanUlve

Post by DeanUlve » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:48 pm

Ralle wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:09 am
Wow... For some reason I couldn't post this clip on soundcloud, due to copyright issues... they removed it... I disputed it, so let's see what happens... to be continiued :shock:
I don't get it... RWTD is up there...
Yep, had all mine pulled as well
:cry:

DeanUlve

Post by DeanUlve » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:49 pm

jnew wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:36 pm
I had that problem before with Soundcloud. I switched to soundclick.com and never had any more problems. Except for forgetting convert to MPEG from a different format. :?

I do believe Ralle's cab is loaded with 8 ohm, 6402 coned Greenbacks. 8)
Gonna have to sign up to soundclick then!
:thumbsup:

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:41 pm

Let's see if this works... still on soundcloud, but with the guitar only... I'll be damned if they remove it now...
Anyways, the point here is to show what a perfect setup this is, this is recorded so low that the strings are audoiable in the background, and yet the main amp and the first stage in the PA head goes full blast... The master is set at as low as it's eaven possible without dissapearing... the rest of the family is sleeping right now...
When saying full blast I mean it's loud, but the amp is not crancked; the gain is set at ( clockwise ) apr. 10.30-11, treble at 3, mids are full, bass at 9, presence full.
Adjusting the treble allows the mids to be scooped in a very usefull way, while adjusting the bass allows it to be more steady firm attack, and yet rich and full when hitting the high notes ( wich is harder to do with the bass completly off )
Allso the les paul straight in the main amp, so I guess there's stuff I'm missing out on when it comes to the effects ( wich comes from cubase )...
https://soundcloud.com/user-158645024/im-th-one-x-2

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:20 am

Oh man, I really like that. There is a dimension of complexity in there that just "SEALS THE DEAL" for lack of better words. Great playing as always but as far as the tone and going down that Master PA rabbit hole, VERY well done. :thumbsup:
I will be going there. :drool:

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:54 am

Just had to do it... first etempt on reamping... don't know if I did it correct, but I recorded the main amp only thrue the load/line box ( without the cab ) into the mixer/computor... You probably know that lining an amp gives it a vere ugly, harsch, kinda trebly sound ( due to the input impeadience, I suppose ), But I belive that's the idea here, cause when sending that signal back into the PA head and out from the cab it becomes like this mid rich kinda nasal sound, and without the brutal highs that's in the amp from the beginning... Now, same rule applies here; the PA head's powerstage and cab needs to be pushed fairly high ( wich I couldn't do here ) in order to make the PA head distort in the right way... that is very noticable, cause the presence works as ugly as it does on a 2203 master amp at lower volumes... it needs to be pushed so the trebs and presence mix up more correct in the sound. In this recording it's clearly obious that that's not the case here, but you can hear is the "curve" of the sound, if you know what I mean... He he... new territories to explore ( well, to me, at least )...
1. How to treat the sound recorded from the main amp.
2. How high of a signal from the mixer into the PA head.
3. How to adjust the eq, tone and gains/master on the PA head.
4. Where to put the effects ( like echo, phase 90, flanger, cause the best place to put those must be before hitting the PA head, right ( I know Ed had'em into the main amp live... )
5. How to treat the sound recorded from the PA head, it had to be eq'd in some way in the mixer...
Well, here is my first etempt on reamping...
https://soundcloud.com/user-158645024
again, effetcs from cubase.

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:18 pm

Ok, so this is the seccond test... Man, this is really interesting... from what I can hear, that typical sound from when lining an amp direct into the mixer, is one VERY important ingreadience to his sound... when taking it back into the PA head, it really opens up and you can hear how the highs gets treated in the very same way Ed has... it's like the highest freqs are just cut right off... wich is EXACTLY what I was looking for... But now there's more opptions how to finetune the sound...
https://soundcloud.com/user-158645024/i ... -reamped-2

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:35 pm

Ralle wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:41 pm
Let's see if this works... still on soundcloud, but with the guitar only... I'll be damned if they remove it now...
Anyways, the point here is to show what a perfect setup this is, this is recorded so low that the strings are audoiable in the background, and yet the main amp and the first stage in the PA head goes full blast... The master is set at as low as it's eaven possible without dissapearing... the rest of the family is sleeping right now...
When saying full blast I mean it's loud, but the amp is not crancked; the gain is set at ( clockwise ) apr. 10.30-11, treble at 3, mids are full, bass at 9, presence full.
Adjusting the treble allows the mids to be scooped in a very usefull way, while adjusting the bass allows it to be more steady firm attack, and yet rich and full when hitting the high notes ( wich is harder to do with the bass completly off )
Allso the les paul straight in the main amp, so I guess there's stuff I'm missing out on when it comes to the effects ( wich comes from cubase )...
https://soundcloud.com/user-158645024/im-th-one-x-2
The audio clips sound so good...I've got to try this setup. The only thing I can't quite understand is the line out even though you've explained it a couple of times already. What is the impedance of the line out (reference to ground) with the 0.68 ohm setup? The line out I currently have is similar to the one used on the Hotplate attenuator which uses a 5K pot along with two resistors (a 1K and a 470 ohm I believe).

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:08 pm

I think what he is saying is, if after the load resistor you add another .68 resistor, that would be your line out signal to the Master PA amp. It sounds like a fixed line out as opposed to the 5K pot, 470 Ohm and 1K resistor that you talk about. That is variable with the pot sweep and all. I think his is just fixed with a .68 only. :what:

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:14 pm

jnew wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:08 pm
I think what he is saying is, if after the load resistor you add another .68 resistor, that would be your line out signal to the Master PA amp. It sounds like a fixed line out as opposed to the 5K pot, 470 Ohm and 1K resistor that you talk about. That is variable with the pot sweep and all. I think his is just fixed with a .68 only. :what:
If that's the case then the impedance of the line out is super low. That would also yield a fairly high voltage output since a 0.68 ohm isn't going to drop much voltage.