Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

rgalpin

Re: EVH plexi observation....

Post by rgalpin » Thu May 11, 2017 4:18 pm

great! thanks for the help.

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Sorry, but is it possible to see the pic your talking about, plex? I think I've missed that one... :shock:

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jnew » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:37 am

We both tried to post it. I'll e-mail it to you.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:19 am

Thanx man. I just sent you my email adress...

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:55 pm

I e-mailed it last night. Did you not get it? Maybe I have an old e-mail address? Let me know. :wink:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:11 pm

Hmm... the one I sent you is valid...

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:54 pm

Just sent again to the one you provided. :thumbsup:

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanx man... I was looking in wrong folder... that's why I didn't find it... great... Yes, I have seen this before...
Looking at that pic, I see that the big blue can are infact two cans sitting ontop of eachother ( you've probably seen that allready ), one is for first stage and one for the seccond stage... that clearly shows... so that looks like it's in order. What strikes me is the fact that this is the "Friedman" speqs ( as I call it ), not the one Chris C. or Plaap talks about ( wich is the one I'm going for )... So there's two amps, and one of'em has the with pot... :scratch:

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:17 pm

I think I recall Dave F having talked about working on the amp in that pic, but that it was NOT the 12301. What is interesting is the size of those chocolate caps. Like .047 or something. And the little blue coupler for V1B. Who knows what value that is. :shrug:

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:43 pm

Hmm... I was thinking more in line of a different brand of .022's and that the blue one is a .0022, but who knows...
So this is not the 12301 amp... well, in that case, is the 12301 according to the Chris C./Plaap speqs or the Friedman/M.cameron speqs? Has that even been established?
Still, what ever the fact is on that one, to me, the speqs that fits the most would be Chris/Plaap speqs... through out the years of trying and testing the Friedman speqs, I never got as far as I did with the other speqs... and that was like instantly I heard it... like " ok here it is "... and even more now with the new "reamping/slaving" method... it's obvious... to me, that is...
One thing though, since there's so many pics of the amp with the knob, I wonder if he had at least two main heads that he chose from from time to time... and if so, having tested the white knob variant, having it as a master in the same possition as the PA head ( wich is a VERY usefull thing ), I know what it does to the sound... and that could make it possible in my ears that the Friedman speqs works... turning it down juuust a bit makes it a bit thinner, and some of the highs get cut off... and would ( in theory ) work very well in that amp...
But I haven't tryied it yet... and I don't think I will in a near future as long as have the sound I'm having right now... but it is tempting to try it out... :wink:

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:10 pm

According to Chris, he saw that shared cathode arrangement in 1980, as per that eyewitness account thread. I don't know when Plaap saw it. All other accounts claim the split cathode/Lead specs. I don't know when those guys saw the amp though. Before or after Chris/Plaap. :what:

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 pm

Here's what Mark Cameron said about the amp:
" (1) By Mark Cameron by pictures taken in the early 80'S.
There ARE small tone altering and/or gain altering mods.
I do have pic's so I CAN physically see that the amp has a split cathode arrangement.
...the cap on v2(330uf) cathode.
...its a 2.7k/.68 and the resistor looks like the stock part(but I don't think it is)but the cap is one of those yellow square type from the 70' Marshall's. From the circuit card It looks like it came stock with this arrangement. The post that is pressed in looks stock too witch tells me more than anyone could.In the pics the serial # is 12301. "

No wonder why there's so much confusion about it... everybody claims THE amp had the serial nr 12301, but this amp Mark talks about does not get the sound, unless that white knob theory does the trick, being a simular master as the PA head has... if it doesn't, well, then the 12301 scenario is just a big scam... I wonder what serial nr the Plaap/Chris C. amp had?
The Plaap/Chris C. amp was witnessed in 1980...

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:11 am

Are you suggesting a Master PA, master volume on one amp would do the trick? Hmm.

Ralle

Post by Ralle » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 am

Well, the thing about the Friedman speqs, to me, where that I never got the "curve", or freqs right in that sound, especially after all the talk about cranking the amp... just too much gain in the wrong spots... one thing that stands out the most where the filterings, the value of the big cans, 2x32u for the preamp, 100u PI, 16u screen and 50u mains... it just doesn't work for that sound... plus what you get with the 33k/500pF tonestack, not to mention the split cathod arrangement in v1... Unless you have that master in there...
Here's why I could consider the PA master:
I had to test it in my amp, just to see what it did to the sound, I mean, it's the "white knob" we're talking about :wink:... I found that it did cut off some of the highs I allways wanted to get rid of, it made the sound a bit thinner, wich I allso liked... it allso made the ballance between the freqs better... it got easier to play, eaven with lower gain levels... it cleaned up the amp in a very nice way. If I had the Friedman speqs, that PA master would be my first choise to try.
What's makes me doubt it, is the fact that the Plaap speqs gives the sound just about a perfect "curve " to the sound just right there... the shape of the tone... and that is very much due to the filterings and tonestack, and the fact that the brightcap on the gain pot is a must be, when have a sharerd cathod arrangement... If you add the little odd things in at amp, like the 330pf mixer bright cap, the 100pF PI sizzle cap, that tells a lot more than the Friedman speqs ever will for the tone. Unless that PA master doesn't do the trick, I pretty much rule out that amp... That is yet to be tested... :wink:

jnew

Post by jnew » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:12 am

A lot of info there but I follow you. You basically are running your Plaap/Chris spec into the Master PA and have yet to try the Friedman spec that way. I agree that Plaap spec puts the amp right into that EQ slope zone but find that the low end seems to get away from being nice and punctual. Funny balance there. But re-amping does do some wonders in that area.