Picture of Eddie's Recording Rig for Early Albums

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

johnnybgoood
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Picture of Eddie's Recording Rig for Early Albums

Post by johnnybgoood » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:13 pm

Below is a pic of Al Estrada's Rig Setup for the the David Lee Roth Tour. Look familiar? The differences are as follows. Estrada is using Input II on the top amp. It's possible that the top amp is the secondary slaved amp using the variac on that head as indicated by the dimmed light. Another possibility is that Channel II was modded for extra brightness and gain. Also, he is using a reactive load instead of a big fat resistor.

Compare Estrada's rig to this.
version 2

rdodson

Post by rdodson » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:31 pm

Except Al said it is all for show per Dave's orders and he's using an SL68 behind the Marshalls.

Good pic, and I get it, but I tend to trust that Al isn't lying.

Interesting nonetheless.
Ron Dodson
Dallas
Romans 9:16

johnnybgoood
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by johnnybgoood » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:17 pm

rdodson wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:31 pm
Al said it is all for show per Dave's orders and he's using an SL68
No disputing the great tones of the SL68. Estrada wails on his promo video for Suhr.
However, why did they care to wrap sleeving on the instrument cables if these amps were placed there only for show? Does the sleeving improve the efficiency for stage setup by organizing cables for amps that are left unused? Could be. No need to hunt for cables if they are all together.

There's something more to consider. Roth cut the backup singers from his show. He's watching cost. He's become a lounge lizard singing Karaoke to the backing vocals of a taped Michael Anthony. If he's doing that vocally, would he care about amp presentation that much?

Dave and Dave Unchained discuss the piped in backing vocals on their last podcast.

monkface

Post by monkface » Sun May 03, 2020 12:32 pm

Slightly off topic but the new Ted Templeman book has the only picture I've seen of the band recording VH1. It's taken from the control booth by Donn Landee. If it's Ed's slanted cab seen in the picture, it looks white or more likely stripped of tolex. Anyway pretty amazing to finally see. Unless it's been out there and I missed it!

vintmodJCM
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by vintmodJCM » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:23 am

Just a thought on the Variac:
It seems to me that most (if not all) of the talk surrounding Ed's use of the Ohmite Vari/AC ignores the need for re-biasing the 6ca7s to compensate for drastic, and even nominal, changes in wall voltage. If Ed ever dropped to 70 volts, his amp would surely sound like crap without being re-biased, and there's an upper limit involved here. That's pretty low input voltage and really not very practical, but I'm not ruling it out.

Nevertheless, I do think that Ed would have caught on to a slider resistor out of practicality and, if he himself was doing the re-biasing, it would be practical to have outboard taps and bias control, otherwise he would be constantly, needlessly, wasting time pulling the chassis before a gig and risking death shock. Highly-charged capacitors and delicate benchwork don't mix well with hard partying or rushing to play a gig. Better to have those capture nuts welded or soldered in, too. :vh:

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by jnew » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:39 pm

There has been lots of talk about rebiasing (and whether or not Ed’s amp was) Dave Friedman has also spoke up about it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;