BOYCOTT UPS!!!

Product sales, customer service, and announcements.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:47 am

More horror stories...pics of my last 2 packages from George...

UPS have it in for you, George?!?!?!? :x
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:33 pm

Holy SHIT! What do I have to do to get packaged delivered even somewhat safely?????

I did ship an amp via DHL this week, it seems to have been delivered OK. This is the same amp that FEDEX ruined, paid a claim on, then ruined again. WTF???

It's also the reason I has to make those OT brackets. Twice it was delivered with the OT laying sideways....

Chief: let me know if any of the parts survived.

VG
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Bainzy
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Bainzy » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:42 pm

In all honesty, I don't think I've ever had any company in the UK handle a package like that. Maybe it's something to do with lack of consumer legislation in the USA, but that kindof stuff just does not happen here. Even the UPS packages I've got from America have come in perfect condition, and I've had quite a few items from the USA.
"I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you"

Shred Guitar
Plexi Mods - now with new forum, please join!

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:47 pm

It has really gotten terrible lately. My drivers from all delivery companies have said that the price of gas and state of the airlines has made their lives hell.

UPS, for example has changed the driver who picks up and drops off at the shop 4 times in the last 3 weeks. That sucks because my old guy knew I had fragile items, and that the heavy boxes were amps. He was careful with stuff.
A few of these new guys have dropped large boxes in the driveway and just left them there. Fuckers.

Until the shippers figure out how to ship the same packages for 1/2 the cost, our boxes will continue to pay the price. It sucks.

VG
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:48 pm

Everything seems to be OK, George. And, they're all pretty safe parts. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the quad of KT66's but you wrapped 'em up real well in the bubble pack and the boxes don't show any damage. We'll see...
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:15 pm

I would seriously consider keeping sheets of plywood around to cut for the critical packages, slip plywood in the sides, top and bottom then pack the stuff like hell in the middle. Sure, it means more shipping cost, but if the alternative is smashed packages I think we all would understand. I like getting my stuff in one piece, although I've also yet to have a problem either (crosses fingers.)

Or that real stiff corner angle stuff that some packagers come up with, where the hell do you get that stuff? My 4x12 came shippied with that in all the corners and the crap is tough as nails!!

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:02 pm

I think it comes in an aerosal. You put the thing in the box and put small plastic bags in the corners then you stick the end of the plastic tubing from the can in the bag (sort of like foam insulation cans) and spray the foam in there. It hardens and makes the thing real secure with the foam corners. Its mojo that does it. Ive gotten things like that from them. That wouldnt stop or protect anything from a puncture but Ill bet in a straint fall or crush itd do a great job. Id still reenforce the sides with the really thick cardboard though. Some really thick industrial caqrdboard would work as well as plywood and have some give to it as well, kinda like foam. I wish I knew where to get foam sheets. The really hard stuff. The heavy cardboard is real expensive and hard to find

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:44 pm

The stuff I'm thinking of is almost just the stiff cardboard version of angle iron, about 1/4" thick and formed at a right angle to slide down into corners. It's tough as nails.
I'd like to know where the average Joe can get the foamy forming stuff too though..........

Leftee

Post by Leftee » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:00 pm

I'm late to the game, but have something to add.

FedEx Ground (not FedEx Express) is just as bad - if not worse than UPS. I have had really bad luck with them in my area. They can NEVER find my house, although FedEx Express and UPS can. They damaged a double boxed guitar too. Every package delivered by them is beat to she-it. Last time they couldn't find my house (again) I ended up calling FedEx CS to complain. The lady told me that FedEx Ground are contractors and vary by area. She relayed that, from her seat, they generate a lot of complaints. She admitted that they don't use the same system for locating addresses that FedEx Express uses.

I'll use UPS before I'll use FedEx Ground.

joshwilson3

Post by joshwilson3 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:20 pm

Leftee wrote:I'm late to the game, but have something to add.

FedEx Ground (not FedEx Express) is just as bad - if not worse than UPS. I have had really bad luck with them in my area. They can NEVER find my house, although FedEx Express and UPS can. They damaged a double boxed guitar too. Every package delivered by them is beat to she-it. Last time they couldn't find my house (again) I ended up calling FedEx CS to complain. The lady told me that FedEx Ground are contractors and vary by area. She relayed that, from her seat, they generate a lot of complaints. She admitted that they don't use the same system for locating addresses that FedEx Express uses.

That's the problem with these companies. They use "contractors". Hell, even the post office uses "contractors" to deliver regular mail.

Leftee

Post by Leftee » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:22 pm

I've had zero problems with FedEx Express Saver service. 2 - 3 day delivery all over the US. 8)

joshwilson3

Post by joshwilson3 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:26 pm

Flames1950 wrote:The stuff I'm thinking of is almost just the stiff cardboard version of angle iron, about 1/4" thick and formed at a right angle to slide down into corners.
The factory I work at uses that stuff. Hard as nails. I used it for the corners of an amp I sold many months back.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:42 pm

Leftee wrote:I'm late to the game, but have something to add.

FedEx Ground, or FedEx Home Delivery? My understanding was that it's the FedEx Home Delivery service that was contracted out to whoever gets some bozos to roll in with a drivers' license. They get a lot of the residential stuff now, while FedEx Ground is who I get at work and they never give me any grief.

Leftee

Post by Leftee » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:06 pm

FedEx Ground. I know where there terminal is as I have to go pick my crap up all the time.

It is a FedEx Ground delivery truck too, not that it EVER makes it to MY house. (said with righteous indignation) :wink: :lol:

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:16 pm

I know its serious, but I can't help but laugh at the way those boxes look in those pictures. Did they deliver them with a straight face? They look like they were used as footballs in a terminal tackle football game.