Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Post Reply
daveweyer
Senior Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:36 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by daveweyer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Hey everyone, here is an aside from the Jimi Hendrix Experience, just for a laugh. My son did this parody of the metal guitar hero, someone who followed in Jimi's footsteps, but ended up believing his own bullshit.
We used the Marshall to get the guitar tones.
Check it out, The Legend Of Wildo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-jFbHKGukU

FloPoeKo
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:04 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by FloPoeKo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:01 pm

daveweyer wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:35 pm
Hey everyone, here is an aside from the Jimi Hendrix Experience, just for a laugh. My son did this parody of the metal guitar hero, someone who followed in Jimi's footsteps, but ended up believing his own bullshit.
We used the Marshall to get the guitar tones.
Check it out, The Legend Of Wildo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-jFbHKGukU
And the guitar sounds... :rock:

I have a very basic question: I´m pretty new to the fuzz world and have a hard time getting my head around the whole biasing issue. After fiddling around with your basic fuzz face and a few different germanium transistors, I managed to modify the collector-voltages of q1 and q2 by their respective resistors. What voltages should I be reading at the e,c and b pins and why? Depending on the transistors, this varies a lot and I was wondering where to go...

daveweyer
Senior Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:36 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by daveweyer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Generally speaking you should have between .42 and .67 volts on c of Q1, 0 volts on e, and at least .2 volts on b, depending on the DC bias setting. On Q2 -c you should have between 2.63 and 4.32 volts, and the Q1 c voltage on the base, with the emitter the same less the junction voltage drop of your device. The DC bias control takes these voltages to the point where Q1 cuts off in either direction. Clear as mud?
Hearty welcome to the forum by the way!

FloPoeKo
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:04 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by FloPoeKo » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:45 pm

daveweyer wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:38 pm
Clear as mud?
More than I could wish for, Dave. Funny how answers suddenly become concise and as plain as a pikestaff once you talk to someone who knows his onions...Good to have you here on this forum... I wasn´t that far off btw. I´ll see to it as soon as I´m back home again and report on the progress...Maybe hook up my trusted bitscope (I read somewhere running the signal trough a small resistor like a 6.8kΩ gives a more accurate reading on a fuzz face)...

FloPoeKo
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:04 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by FloPoeKo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 pm

daveweyer wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:38 pm
Generally speaking you should have between .42 and .67 volts on c of Q1, 0 volts on e, and at least .2 volts on b, depending on the DC bias setting. On Q2 -c you should have between 2.63 and 4.32 volts, and the Q1 c voltage on the base, with the emitter the same less the junction voltage drop of your device. The DC bias control takes these voltages to the point where Q1 cuts off in either direction. Clear as mud?
Hearty welcome to the forum by the way!
Dave, I measured my build following your numbers. All voltages can be dialed in to look as you suggested, except the base of Q1. Here, it reads between 0.19V and as low as 0.1-0.14V depending on the transistors... What does that tell me? :?

Tek465b
Senior Member
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:43 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Contact:

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by Tek465b » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:12 pm

One should worry only about the Collector voltage of Q1 and Q2(unless something is really wrong/troubleshooting the citcuit)
If you use different transistor then in some case you will have to use a different zener diode.(usually lower Vbe and/or more Beta Gain on Q1 will need an increase of the Zener voltage.)

The Base voltage(Vbe) of Q1 is perfectly normal around 0.1V and up for germaniul PNP :)

FloPoeKo
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:04 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by FloPoeKo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:26 am

Tek465b wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:12 pm
One should worry only about the Collector voltage of Q1 and Q2(unless something is really wrong/troubleshooting the citcuit)
If you use different transistor then in some case you will have to use a different zener diode.(usually lower Vbe and/or more Beta Gain on Q1 will need an increase of the Zener voltage.)

The Base voltage(Vbe) of Q1 is perfectly normal around 0.1V and up for germaniul PNP :)
Thanks a lot... That helped quite a bit!

Tek465b
Senior Member
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:43 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Contact:

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by Tek465b » Tue May 01, 2018 8:54 pm

Allright, so the new batch of PCB are in!
I hope you like it.
Theres 38 in stock now. :D

Image

Image

Image

Image

Edit:
I created a Ebay listing:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/West-Coast-Fuzz ... SwBY5a6i24

daveweyer
Senior Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:36 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by daveweyer » Fri May 04, 2018 11:26 am

Tek, really nice work!! They just look great, and it's especially amazing to see those original germanium devices sitting in there as if it were 1969. What I would have given to obtain circuit boards like that back in the day.
Wonderful job.

Tek465b
Senior Member
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:43 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Contact:

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by Tek465b » Fri May 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Would you like to have 1 or 2 board? am willing to gift them to you for free :)

daveweyer
Senior Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:36 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by daveweyer » Sat May 05, 2018 10:19 pm

Well of course that would be great. My own little back room creation immortalized on its own circuit board!

bobtec
Senior Member
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 4:38 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Dana Point,ca

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by bobtec » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Xplorer wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:37 pm
bobtec wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:13 pm
I bought a I bought a 63 bandmaster from the Hollywood Bowl in 1971 when they were remodeling it West Coast worked on it it has three plate resistors on each preamp two 100 and a 220 it's a great sounding amp
Oh nice ! That would be great to see it if you're ok with it.
If I figure out how to download stuff I would be happy to...I just bought a new used computer yesterday I have not been on the internet for 1 1/2 yrs...The coolest thing about it when I got the paper work they gave me a log sheet of who used it from 1964 to 1970 when they remodeled the Hollywood Bowl they sold all there backline amps I have a picture of Hendrix using it But the log sheet show the Beatles Stones CCR,who ever played the Bowl would rent the backline stuff..2 showmans 63 bandmaster 65 bassman 64 deluxe 2 65 twins I was in 11th grade at Hollywood High..Back then you could go to guitar center and buy used Fender guitars for $125 53 telecasters and $75 for any 1950;s Stratocasters :drool:

User avatar
Xplorer
Senior Member
Posts: 2436
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:27 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by Xplorer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:38 pm

sending a pm to you about it

daveweyer
Senior Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:36 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by daveweyer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Xplorer, this is pretty cool. Did you find out about those amps I modded for the Hollywood Bowl backline? He's right, you could pick up old Strats for $50, and old Fender Deluxes for $25. I had so much of that old gear at West Coast I didn't know what to do with it. Too bad I was so dumb, I could have had a nice retirement now. Lots of musicians would bring stuff in, but then couldn't pay for it after the work was done, and then just abandon the stuff. That's how I got this old Twin I traded to Neil Young for an early '48 Fender Deluxe and some cash. At least I kept that. I built some tube base adapters that allow you to use EL84s instead of 6V6 tubes in the Deluxe, it really crunches nicely.

User avatar
Xplorer
Senior Member
Posts: 2436
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:27 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by Xplorer » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:02 pm

daveweyer wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:09 pm
Xplorer, this is pretty cool. Did you find out about those amps I modded for the Hollywood Bowl backline? He's right, you could pick up old Strats for $50, and old Fender Deluxes for $25. I had so much of that old gear at West Coast I didn't know what to do with it. Too bad I was so dumb, I could have had a nice retirement now. Lots of musicians would bring stuff in, but then couldn't pay for it after the work was done, and then just abandon the stuff. That's how I got this old Twin I traded to Neil Young for an early '48 Fender Deluxe and some cash. At least I kept that. I built some tube base adapters that allow you to use EL84s instead of 6V6 tubes in the Deluxe, it really crunches nicely.
Damn, 50$ for a strat and 25$ for such amp ? Well, at least you knew this period and could play with all these toys.
So you still have Neil Young's amp ? cool !

No, i didn't get news from Bobtec yet.
Closer to build the fuzz but man .... so many things on my list of "to do's" .......

Post Reply