1959 SLP RI what to expect...

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Zebrapup01
Just the numbers in order: 13492

1959 SLP RI what to expect...

Post by Zebrapup01 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:04 pm

Ordered one of these finally. Awaiting shipment. What tweaks to the reissues are necessary to achieve a ‘68 spec? I realize the differences from turret to pc board, would just like to know what you guys have found with these. I’m not concerned with a master volume as I plan on using my Rivera mini rock crusher, and a brown box. How are the transformers regarded? What tube provider and brands of tubes are most reliable? I’ve been through a litany of boutique stuff, including the Bogner Helios 100 watt and a suhr sl 67. It’s become apparent that the original circuit and Iron is the only thing that will get me where I want to be. Any insight is welcome! Thanks folks!!

neikeel

Re: 1959 SLP RI what to expect...

Post by neikeel » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:53 pm

Well done
There are a few versions with subtle differences, not sure about the newest ones.
Very simple to use - turn up and play.
A 68 has very low filtering, the circuits are very similar.
Try it first, dial it in and then come back to us if you want to change things :rocker:
Neil

Zebrapup01

Post by Zebrapup01 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:03 am

Well, spent a couple of hours with the amp. Electro harmonix preamp tubes, Russian winged Cs, mercury choke and OT, dagnal PT and a master volume. Now, when I asked if the master was the only mod, I was told... yeah the guy didn’t mention anything else... so until I pull it out of the shell, it’s anybodys guess. Sounds like a plexi. Pretty dang good. And that’s from the rock crusher into a crap mixing board and through headphones and decent JBL monitors. Really wish I had gotten one of these years ago. I love how it magnifies my touch, and it springs back at me just the way I like. Really anxious to try the brown box with it.

jarrodthebobo

Post by jarrodthebobo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:26 pm

You're using guitar speaker emulation right? I can't imagine running the guitar straight through an attenuator and into monitors could sound like anything other than a can of bees :what:
"I hear you knocking but you can't come in-
I know you've been drinking Gin." -Louis Jordan

Zebrapup01

Post by Zebrapup01 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:43 am

Yes, it has speaker emulation.

bobtec

Post by bobtec » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:42 pm

I have a 1993 100 watt SLP No MV.I use a modded Boss SD1 or a PS sYSTEMS pOWER tOOL reactive LOAD...if THE FILTER CAPS EVER DIE I WOULD LIKE TO LOWER THE FILTERING ALITTLE...aLL BY ITSELF IT IS VERY BRITE,BUT IN A LIVE SETTING THEY REALLY CUT..gOOD pHILIPS nos PREAMP TUBES HELP..sTAY AWAY FROM mm TRANNYS..WAIST OF MONEY :shred: MY 2 CENTS