VH I Tone (revisited)

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Post Reply
kiddangerous
Senior Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:36 pm

VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by kiddangerous » Sat May 26, 2018 4:35 pm

I've been making some solid progress over the past couple of months, check out this clip set against the original backing track for Feel Your Love Tonight. Things missing include the plate reverb and a 1.5kHz dip that I think was done in post.

https://soundcloud.com/themusicologygro ... comparison

I need to re-re-visit the other albums because I think the same setup was used with slight variations.

Tazin
Senior Member
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:54 pm

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by Tazin » Sat May 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Sounds really good. A lot of the fudimental "nitty-gritty" of Ed's tone appears to be present.

Lbrown3743
Senior Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:04 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Land of The Rising Sun

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by Lbrown3743 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:46 am

Sounds awesome man!

kiddangerous
Senior Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by kiddangerous » Tue May 29, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks, always helpful to have a few more ears on things. Despite the existing differences this tone is definitely fun to play.

User avatar
rgalpin
Senior Member
Posts: 3666
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:08 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by rgalpin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:17 pm

i love the way that sounds! when you dig in to the E and A strings, the low end is strong. backbone!

what are you using? you refer having made progress - so i guess you may have posted your spec in earlier thread - but if you wouldn't mind re-posting the spec here, that would be awesome.
My songs: http://www.robgalpin.com/?page_id=95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My tones: http://www.soundclick.com/members/defau ... er=rgalpin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tazin
Senior Member
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:54 pm

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by Tazin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:52 pm

rgalpin wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:17 pm
i love the way that sounds! when you dig in to the E and A strings, the low end is strong. backbone!

what are you using? you refer having made progress - so i guess you may have posted your spec in earlier thread - but if you wouldn't mind re-posting the spec here, that would be awesome.
I believe it's all software based stuff....No "real" amps.

kiddangerous
Senior Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by kiddangerous » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:50 am

Thanks! Yes, that's correct. My approach is pure software.

That being said if you have the real gear it should sound the same! In the app I'm running a '69 spec plexi into a blend of vintage Blackback and JBL speakers, mixed slightly more with the Blackback. It's surprising how the tone changes as you shift between the two. Also I've afforded for mismatching the cabinet impedance to bring out more top end though I have no proof that this was done, it could have been in post as well.

Tazin
Senior Member
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:54 pm

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by Tazin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:47 pm

kiddangerous wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:50 am
Thanks! Yes, that's correct. My approach is pure software.

That being said if you have the real gear it should sound the same! In the app I'm running a '69 spec plexi into a blend of vintage Blackback and JBL speakers, mixed slightly more with the Blackback. It's surprising how the tone changes as you shift between the two. Also I've afforded for mismatching the cabinet impedance to bring out more top end though I have no proof that this was done, it could have been in post as well.
Are there any "alterations" to the '69 plexi circuit (i.e. different cap values, different pot values, etc.,)? Or better yet, what are the specs your using for the amp simulation?

Mismatching cabinet impedance?...For the JBL speakers?

jape88
Senior Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:55 am
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: England

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by jape88 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:59 am

Tazin wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Mismatching cabinet impedance?...For the JBL speakers?
Don't think it's the same mismatch your implying (amp/cab?), but every jbl d120 (both orange and grey frame) I've seen has always been 8 ohm, in fact after getting two I had to get some old 8ohm greenbacks to complete the cab ...or did Ed or Rudy even bother matching the speakers :scratch: all those cabs he had I find it hard to believe they were not all 16ohm cabs at the jack.

Nice simulated tone kiddangerous, would like to know how you achieved it.

kiddangerous
Senior Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by kiddangerous » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm

Thanks. The model corresponds to the 1959 schematic dated from 1970.

The only additional change was related to the top end as I mentioned. There has been plenty of debate over whether an attenuator or a slave was used. It still stands that the top end on that guitar tone was unparalleled for the time. Regardless of how it was done I allow going beyond spec so to speak to capture the same grind at the right point in the signal chain.

dnatronic
Senior Member
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:47 am

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by dnatronic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:25 pm

jape88 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:59 am
Tazin wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Mismatching cabinet impedance?...For the JBL speakers?
Don't think it's the same mismatch your implying (amp/cab?), but every jbl d120 (both orange and grey frame) I've seen has always been 8 ohm, in fact after getting two I had to get some old 8ohm greenbacks to complete the cab ...or did Ed or Rudy even bother matching the speakers :scratch: all those cabs he had I find it hard to believe they were not all 16ohm cabs at the jack.

Nice simulated tone kiddangerous, would like to know how you achieved it.
I've thought about this. If Ed did use use two 8 ohm JBLs with two 16 ohm greenbacks, the the overall cab impedance would be about 10 ohms. If Ed and/or Rudy realized this, they could have run the amp at 8 ohms and the match would have been pretty close. Or maybe they didn't bother which could explain all of the blown output transformers that Rudy mentioned in an interview. Who knows?

jnew
Senior Member
Posts: 1554
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Front Row Seat From the Outer Continental Shelf

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by jnew » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 am

Try this on for size. The 50W Marshall with the big Ohmite across the primaries. That acts as a load and significantly reduces output. Now a speaker out runs directly into the front of his 100W. :shock: Not kidding. Heard this yesterday from a highly regarded source.

BTW, the modeler clip that started this thread is pretty killer. I think that could be further EQ'd to hit home plate. :thumbsup:
________________________________
I SEE THINGS BETTER, WHEN I LISTEN


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnnybgoood
Senior Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:32 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by johnnybgoood » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:05 pm

jnew wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 am
Try this on for size. The 50W Marshall with the big Ohmite across the primaries. That acts as a load and significantly reduces output. Now a speaker out runs directly into the front of his 100W. :shock: Not kidding. Heard this yesterday from a highly regarded source.
This sounds really really interesting. What is the value of the resistor? Can you post a schematic that shows the best place to connect the Ohmite?

jnew
Senior Member
Posts: 1554
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:34 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Front Row Seat From the Outer Continental Shelf

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by jnew » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:08 pm

I don't know the value of that resistor but Mr Twisty neck did this experiment with a number of values, and loaded a video on YouTube. And you don't really need a schematic. It's just a resistor that would go between Pins #3 on Valves 5 & 6 (or 4 & 5 for a 50W) So my best guess would be a value that would be pretty darn quiet in the room since that would still be a hot signal compared to a line level, or instrument level. But yes, it is very interesting and I can see this adding that serious scratchy hair in the tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7HAknjipE0
________________________________
I SEE THINGS BETTER, WHEN I LISTEN


http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jape88
Senior Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:55 am
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: England

Re: VH I Tone (revisited)

Post by jape88 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Twisty's clip does look a bit hair raising not only in sound but the way it's appled!!! My fave is his '71 variac clip... he certainly knows how to get a tone that's on the edge of melt down.

Post Reply