1967 Super Bass Build

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

kats
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: 1967 Super Bass Build

Post by kats » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:14 pm

Well keep in mind that the speakers weren’t apples to apples as the g12m heritage are the 20 watt spec (at least their version of it).

The obvious difference is that the mid peak is lower and a little better bass response on the vintage speaker, so automatically you’re going the get the impression of “smoother”. The vintage ones still bite though (in a good way) - they are not a soft dark speaker. I still think the modern Celestions are stiffer (even though my quad had been hammered on for 10 years) and don’t ride the line between bite and harsh quite as well as the older cones.

kats

Post by kats » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Funny thing, I put the Heritage G12m quad in a ‘69 B cab, and what a difference. Much smoother and closer to the Pulsonics that are now in the A cab in tonal balance. The higher mid peak is balanced out by a better low end for an overall smoother presentation.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:20 pm

kats wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:22 pm
Funny thing, I put the Heritage G12m quad in a ‘69 B cab, and what a difference. Much smoother and closer to the Pulsonics that are now in the A cab in tonal balance. The higher mid peak is balanced out by a better low end for an overall smoother presentation.
Glad that worked out. I have a few prerola quads but they seem to be thin on the ground except at prices I am not prepared to pay. So I bought a pair of Heritage Ms for a BB combo resto.
Home they come up with the goods.
Neil

kats

Post by kats » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:51 am

It would be interesting if you would pass on your impressions once you’ve had a chance to compare!