Overdrive and distortion pedals

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

daniel

fulltone

Post by daniel » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:32 pm

I use a fulltone fulldrive 2 in front of my 79 2203 mv head. I use it to boost my signal for solos using the clean boost mode. It adds more harmonic character to the sound, a touch more gain, and makes the amp more touch sensitive. I love it. The two overdrive modes are pretty good. You will notice a little loss of bass with a les paul and they don't like really high output pickups either. But, the best way for you to use an overdrive is to clean boost the front end of your amp anyway. I would recommend the fulldrive because of its versatility. Its a great value if you can find a used one too. I scored mine for 100 bucks.

dosmun

Post by dosmun » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:17 am

$100 is a great deal for a Fulldrive

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:46 pm

Thank the lord for eBay, unless you know a friend who just likes to get rid of everything!
Just Feel it MAN! -Shane Gorski "Country Boy Shane"

www.flickr.com/photos/shanegorski

Aaron0602

Post by Aaron0602 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:55 pm

I don't know if you guys have heard of a site called fuzz central:

fuzzcentral.tripod.com

It has schematics, layouts, parts lists, and PCB board drawings for many vintage effects (sure, they weren't originally made w/pc boards, but it's a hell of a lot easier to make a pc board than to figure out the layout of an eyelet board). I just built an awesome solasound/colorsound tonebender MKII for about 80 bucks, in a few hours. If you want to learn how to make a PCB, search on google for "Press 'n' peel Blue." It's basically just a print transfer for PCB's, but you can look on their website for how it's done. In any case, if you want to build a fuzzface, tonebender, or one of many other pedals, all your info is there. Hope this helps at least 1 person

Aaron

Bluesbishop

Cheap...But Great overdrives

Post by Bluesbishop » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:15 am

I'm 41 yrs old, having been playing along time, and have used alot of pedals in my day. I find the current trend of overpriced pedals to be alittle crazy when there are some great pedals for under $100.00.

The Secret to a GREAT tone has already been said many many others: use the overdrive in front of a already slighty overdriven amp. If you are using a OD correctly, best bang for the buck are the Boss SD-1 ( $50.00 or less), the Nobels ODR-1 ( again $45-$55) or the Barber Direct Drive ($99.00)

I would put the Barber or even the Nobels up to any pedal costing two or three times it's price. Both are flexible enough for Page, SRV, Hendrix to much heavier. Both sound great with both Marshall and Fender amps. The SD-1 with a overdriven Marshall can get you Wylde, Lynch, EVH with ease..If it can't, then you got nothin in the fingers...

Ken