Bassman one wire "hot wired" mod?

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Bassman one wire "hot wired" mod?

Post by mightymike » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:16 pm

I've been on the road since Sept 6. I'm in Ontario, Ca.. Then LA tomorrow. I probably should be back by 2 weeks... They're there waiting for me.

I think we should see what Hoffman is doing. I found out some amazing things about him today. No wonder that Bassman was Wait'n on the Bus/Jesus just left Chicago tone all day.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:43 am

mightymike wrote:I've been on the road since Sept 6. I'm in Ontario, Ca.. Then LA tomorrow. .

Practically around the block! I work in Fullerton.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:25 pm

I used to Live in Anaheim...Near Lakeview and La Palma.. Picking up Ice Cream in Bakersfield tonight, and comming back through that way tomorrow enroute to Indy... Weird route to keep product from from expanding at high altitudes.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:43 pm

mightymike wrote:I used to Live in Anaheim...Near Lakeview and La Palma.. Picking up Ice Cream in Bakersfield tonight, and comming back through that way tomorrow enroute to Indy... Weird route to keep product from from expanding at high altitudes.

Ha, used to work on La Palma between Kramer and Tustin, next to the bowlng alley.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:38 pm

Loved living there back in 79/80, but the free firework show every night kinda ruins 4th of July for you.

syscokid

Post by syscokid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:34 am

Lefty Lou wrote:I still have (2) EV SRO 12"s that are in a friend's Fender 2x12" cabinet that was lent to another friend. I didn't have a cabinet and the speakers were in storage, however my buddy Chris had an empty Fender 2x12" cab so in they went. One of the best impressions that I have of these speakers was when I hooked the aforementioned cab to my THD Bivalve w/2 Mullard 12AX7's and 2 Philips/Sylvania ECG 6L6GC tubes with a Les Paul using the THD amp's built in Hot Plate. My friend Chris was playing through his early Fender SFSR amp (which was/is no slouch for tone or power) and my rig was that much more impressive especially for tone AND power.

One thing about the SRO speakers, I believe these came out in the 70's to early 70's which would've meant that Hendrix wouldn't have been able to use these particular EV speakers. The SRO speakers have what appear like big coffee can covers over the magnets from outward appearances and are also very heavy speakers. The weight of these speakers are enough that they'll bow a subquality baffle board. AND the magnets are alnico!!! which is no doubt a primary reason why the SRO speakers sound so sweet. I once had a telephone conversation with Andy Marshall CEO for THD Amplification about these speakers telling him of my 2x12" cabinet and Bivalve hookup and that he should try to acquire some for himself as well if he ever came across any.
:twisted: He he he...:
Ampeg VT-22, 12-2-12 (1).JPG
Ampeg VT-22, 12-2-12 (1).JPG (90.69 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
Ampeg VT-22, 12-2-12 (7).JPG
Ampeg VT-22, 12-2-12 (7).JPG (58.94 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
IMG_3653.JPG
IMG_3653.JPG (57.25 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:01 pm

Has the baffle board in your Ampeg combo warped yet? Unless one has thick plywood or particle board, the SRO's are muthas on baffle boards.

syscokid

Post by syscokid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Lefty Lou wrote:Has the baffle board in your Ampeg combo warped yet? Unless one has thick plywood or particle board, the SRO's are muthas on baffle boards.
As far as I know, it hasn't shown any sign of warpage. I've only had this amp for a year. According to a sticker inside the cab from Orange County Speakers, these speakers have been in this amp since 1978. Amazing speakers, and these old Ampegs are well built. This combo weighs 113 lbs.... :shock:
"When I'm on stage and first plug in, and I feel a rush of air in my balls... That's when I know my guitar is sounding good!" -Leslie West

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:33 am

I think what makes SRO's so great is that: 1) They're alnico speakers and 2) They're rated at 200 watts. Weight and speaker dimensions would have to be on the negative side of the list however.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:02 pm

mightymike wrote:Loved living there back in 79/80, but the free firework show every night kinda ruins 4th of July for you.

Didn't get here 'til '94 and I can't see Disney's "works" but I can hear them every night around 9pm!
Last edited by NY Chief on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:06 pm

syscokid wrote:
Lefty Lou wrote:I still have (2) EV SRO 12"s that are in a friend's Fender 2x12" cabinet that was lent to another friend. I didn't have a cabinet and the speakers were in storage, however my buddy Chris had an empty Fender 2x12" cab so in they went. One of the best impressions that I have of these speakers was when I hooked the aforementioned cab to my THD Bivalve w/2 Mullard 12AX7's and 2 Philips/Sylvania ECG 6L6GC tubes with a Les Paul using the THD amp's built in Hot Plate. My friend Chris was playing through his early Fender SFSR amp (which was/is no slouch for tone or power) and my rig was that much more impressive especially for tone AND power.

One thing about the SRO speakers, I believe these came out in the 70's to early 70's which would've meant that Hendrix wouldn't have been able to use these particular EV speakers. The SRO speakers have what appear like big coffee can covers over the magnets from outward appearances and are also very heavy speakers. The weight of these speakers are enough that they'll bow a subquality baffle board. AND the magnets are alnico!!! which is no doubt a primary reason why the SRO speakers sound so sweet. I once had a telephone conversation with Andy Marshall CEO for THD Amplification about these speakers telling him of my 2x12" cabinet and Bivalve hookup and that he should try to acquire some for himself as well if he ever came across any.
:twisted: He he he...:
Ampeg VT-22, 12-2-12 (1).JPG
Ampeg VT-22, 12-2-12 (7).JPG
IMG_3653.JPG
The ones I had didn't look like that. They BIG magnets that heat sink fins built right into the magnet housing.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

syscokid

Post by syscokid » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:02 pm

NY Chief wrote:The ones I had didn't look like that. They BIG magnets that heat sink fins built right into the magnet housing.
You wouldn't happen to have a pic of those, do ya?

BTW: Lived in Fullerton for 3 months in 1971. The back alley view was a straight shot to the Disney fireworks. I love fireworks...but not from my amps though... :stars:

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:58 pm

syscokid wrote:
NY Chief wrote:The ones I had didn't look like that. They BIG magnets that heat sink fins built right into the magnet housing.
You wouldn't happen to have a pic of those, do ya?

BTW: Lived in Fullerton for 3 months in 1971. The back alley view was a straight shot to the Disney fireworks. I love fireworks...but not from my amps though... :stars:
Don't have a pic handy and I can't seem to post pics anymore. Check EBAY. I saw a couple of 12" and 15" yesterday.

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:09 pm

My (2) EV SRO 12"s look exactly like Syscokid's SRO speakers. I also have (2) alnico Altec 10" speakers that I need to recone at Great Plains Audio (GPA) in OKC. Bill at GPA has all the old Altec Lansing cones, as he used to work at Altec Lansing in OKC for years and acquired their parts stock. Bill @ GPA is the guy who has reconed all of Carlos Santana's Altec Lansing 12"s as used in Carlos's Mesa Boogie Mark I amps JFWIW.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:39 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Late-1962-Fende ... 4616415%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;