Rebuilding a Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

yngwie308

Rebuilding a Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Post by yngwie308 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:21 am

Came across this nugget on the Gear Page, any thoughts?
http://deluxereverb.waynereno.com/
Thanks
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

darkbluemurder
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by darkbluemurder » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:38 am

I think this is a great informative article. It provides a good overview of the work involved with such a conversion.

worldoftone
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by worldoftone » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:10 pm

Just buy a silverface and save your time and money.

- WOT
I smell tubes.

darkbluemurder

Post by darkbluemurder » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:48 am

worldoftone wrote:Just buy a silverface and save your time and money.

- WOT
WOT,

You are correct but silverface fenders are becoming increasingly difficult to find these days. I would definitely prefer them over the PCB reissues if I wanted to tinker.

Cheers Stephan

GUITARmole

Post by GUITARmole » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:15 pm

I'd rather build a MOJO kit than buy a silverface but that's me and my DIY nature...

electricskychurch

Post by electricskychurch » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:13 pm

yes, a Mojo kit + mercury magnetics transformers and a good 50's or 60's speaker and your there !

i had a very late 70's deluxe reverb in mint condition (should i say new !) , it was the worst amp i had in my collection !
i even prefered my stock deluxe reverb reissue (except the speaker that i had replaced) !

choose some polyesther / mylar caps , maybe some NOS ones if you can afford them.
don't use the orange drops 715P / 716P , they are polypropylene and sound much brighter.
pay attention to the speaker you will choose and buy one in good shape.
you can buy a 60's c12n .
chances are you will blow up the c12q as the voice coil and speaker get hot easily in the deluxe reverb; 22 watts is already too much when you push the amp (so you get more than 22 watts in the end ! ) .
or you can try a weber speaker , they are good speakers even if they don't sound like the original ones .
you can also try an eminence , i think some can sound good in some amps but you have to find which one (i don't know which could be nice for a deluxe reverb ) ! LOL
good speaker, caps and OT and you have a nice deluxe reverb that will last until your death (chances are it will even survive you as they last very long ! )

budubum

Post by budubum » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:35 am

darkbluemurder wrote:
worldoftone wrote:Just buy a silverface and save your time and money.

- WOT
WOT,

You are correct but silverface fenders are becoming increasingly difficult to find these days. I would definitely prefer them over the PCB reissues if I wanted to tinker.

Cheers Stephan
nope ! not in my place. too bad i never jsut like fenders for some reason

Compulsor
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re:

Post by Compulsor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:05 pm

electricskychurch wrote: had a very late 70's deluxe reverb in mint condition (should i say new !) , it was the worst amp i had in my collection !
I'd hesitate to write of SF's just based on one bad one; despite the fine state of preservation of your DR, as with any piece of equipment, (or anything period), you could line 5 of them up in a row and have 4 stellar/good examples, and one dog.
In my experience and gear list over the years, a pre-ultralinear/pre-'77 SFDR can be one of the greatest sounding amps on its own, and a modder's paradise.
They can be hot-rodded with the best of them, some great ballsy, gut punchers out there, which is kinda surprising given the 'chime and sparkle' they're normally known for.
Just look at what Mesa MK___ are the same basic set up (even simpler, Princeton), and I think most would agree Boogie's have rattled their share of fillings loose over the years. :shock:
This is the first of a four part-er, great stuff regardless of opinon of my post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_UCsE3es9s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;