Rythm Tone and Lead Tone

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

dad99_2000

Rythm Tone and Lead Tone

Post by dad99_2000 » Mon May 31, 2004 3:07 am

Rythm Tone and Lead Tone alot of people say I love his lead tone or Rythm tone but is it not just the same tone.

ie page =His lead tone is the same as his rythm he does not use any boosts other then the volume control yet people say things. You get what I am say

I don't use any boosts because I just want a boost in volume it seems to me if you boost the signal going in u are going to drive the tubes harder and that creates more distortion and thats not a good thing all the time.

another thing is does anybody here use kt-88 tubes like jimmy page did I was wondering what kind traits these have and how much headroom

opinions

dad99_2000

Post by dad99_2000 » Mon May 31, 2004 3:10 am

Rhythm why did I spell that wrong lol :lol:

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Mon May 31, 2004 7:44 pm

KT88's will give you quite a bit more headroom. Pop 'em in, re-bias, and experiment with the new tones you can achieve!
Just Feel it MAN! -Shane Gorski "Country Boy Shane"

www.flickr.com/photos/shanegorski

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:20 pm

I've got some 6550s coming ... I know they're not exactly like KT88s but I got em for free!!

I'll make some more clips comparing them to my KT66s and EL34s.
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

Hassan Chop

Post by Hassan Chop » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:19 pm

Here's my take on rhythm vs. lead tone: It depends on what kind of band you're in. Is there another guitarist? If so, you may need to boost your guitar's signal to override the sound coming from your fellow guitarist's rig. (Even if he turns down a bit for your solo.) If you're the only guitarist, you may not NEED to use a boost or whatever, although you may want to. Also, the type of music you're playing will obviously have a lot to do with it. Jazz? Your bandmates will doubtless have more courtesy than your average punk rocker or Limpkin Kornpone band.

Then there's the question of lead vs rhythm TONE. I personally prefer a rhythm tone that's like the ideal breakfast cereal: crispy and crunchy. Getting too dark and heavy with the rhythm tone just puts you into conflict with the bassist's frequencies and mission objectives. But when it's time to solo, I think it's best to go with an expanded lower frequency sound. You're out front then, you should sound your biggest.

But, hey! That's just MY opinion!
I knew we should've taken that left turn at Albuquerque!

dad99_2000

Post by dad99_2000 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:27 pm

I agree I play with the bass on 0-2 and but I have found when it comes to a solo it sounds better if the bass is up and but how would you do that ???????? a

Its only me on guitar so no worrys :twisted:

Bluesbishop

Post by Bluesbishop » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:53 pm

I was just surfing Barber site(http://www.barberelectronics.com/LTD.html ) , and barber now has a product called the LTD. It claims to be pretty much just a clean boost. May be just what the Doctor Ordered!

I've always found my Ts-9 used as a clean boost does a great job without really coloring the tone.

Ken