1956 Bassman purchase

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

bluze81
Just the numbers in order: 7

1956 Bassman purchase

Post by bluze81 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Recent purchase of a 56 all orig bassman Chassis only but got all four orig, speakers with it, will need to do at least filter cap replacements, but all else looks good,transformers are orig, my question is who is building a good tweed cabinet? this is one of my dream amps and will restore as a player for me, Thanks in advance for any help on cabinet and parts

Lefty Lou

Re: 1956 Bassman purchase

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:07 pm

http://sourmashguitarcabs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AND
http://swansoncabinets.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AND
http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/cabinets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bluze81

Post by bluze81 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:50 pm

thank you lefty

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:04 pm

You're most welcome bluze, and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

bluze81

Post by bluze81 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:05 pm

Merry Xmas to you and family, Have not posted on this great forum in months, learned so much here from cool members, thanks to George M, Steve

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:11 pm

That's what I love about this website as well, in that there is a wealth of information to be gleaned from just about anything music equipment related. If I'm not sure about something, I can always "drill down" so to speak, on this website to get the real "skinny".

ezs

Post by ezs » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:02 am

If it has Astron caps, check for leakage.

bluze81

Post by bluze81 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:17 pm

It has Astron caps and I have checked them, they are in good shape, I am lucky for that, The guy I bought this amp from his sixteen year old nephew had his hands on it and tore the cabinet up and they trashed it, cab, is long gone, I bought the Chassis and four orig, speakers for thirty dollars! so I am great shape for restore.

bluze81

Post by bluze81 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:33 pm

After a bit more research I found out my bassman is a 1958 model, also did some cleaning up and refloated solder joints that looked bad, I variaced it up slowly on power and it works great, two of the filter caps under dog house have leaks so need to replace, I put a replica cab on order with mojotone[all i can afford] so very pleased,when complete i will post pictures, also have to get orig, speakers reconed.

OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Looking forward to seeing this.
Thinking about building one, or picking up a reissue '59. These amps sound so cool.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down' " - Bob Newhart

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:39 pm

Always change out all electrolytic capacitors, especially in an amp of this age. I'd even recommend a cap kit explicitly for this amp model. Just contact these guys and tell em' you've got a 5F6-A Bassman that you'd like a capacitor kit for.

http://vintagefenderamprepair.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bluze81

Post by bluze81 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:53 am

Thanks Lefty, I have changed many electrolytic caps out, Just trying to keep as orig, as possible. all filters will be replaced, Just happy this amp works and sounds ok, thanks for the link, Steve

wyatt

Post by wyatt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:07 pm

bluze81 wrote:Thanks Lefty, I have changed many electrolytic caps out, Just trying to keep as orig, as possible. all filters will be replaced, Just happy this amp works and sounds ok, thanks for the link, Steve
The electrolytic on the bias supply is crucial to replace if you want to keep that original power transformer for the long-term.

But trying to retain any of those old electrolytics is just neutering the amp...by now bass and output (filter caps) and gain (cathode-bypass caps) are probably a fraction of what they were stock.

The problem with vintage amps is people obsess over originality at the sake of function. While I don't recommend overzealius rebuilds, eating cake is better than having cake.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:27 pm

wyatt wrote:
bluze81 wrote:Thanks Lefty, I have changed many electrolytic caps out, Just trying to keep as orig, as possible. all filters will be replaced, Just happy this amp works and sounds ok, thanks for the link, Steve
The electrolytic on the bias supply is crucial to replace if you want to keep that original power transformer for the long-term.

But trying to retain any of those old electrolytics is just neutering the amp...by now bass and output (filter caps) and gain (cathode-bypass caps) are probably a fraction of what they were stock.

The problem with vintage amps is people obsess over originality at the sake of function. While I don't recommend overzealius rebuilds, eating cake is better than having cake.
Wyatt is correct as it's the vintage blue astron caps you should be thinking of keeping (if they are still working). Most people (even collectors) know that all electrolytic caps need replacement after so many years of usage and your 58' is way past due. Again to reiterate, swapping out old electrolytics are good but not swapping out old electrolytics are bad particularly for vintage transformers. What's more valuable, old leaky electrolytics or old vintage transformers?

bluze81

Post by bluze81 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:37 pm

The caps are yellow astron.I have cheked them for leakage and they are good, Will replace bias supply caps and other two on board, did do the all filter caps and does sound better, still have a distortion on low end both channels, Some noise at inputs,I retensioned all tube sockets and used deoxit cleaner ,it helped but still noisy,any help is welcomed, thank you, Steve