Any OR120 users out here?

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

VintageCharlie
Just the numbers in order: 7

Any OR120 users out here?

Post by VintageCharlie » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:32 am

Hi there,

i recently got my hands on a 75ish OR120 - all original apart from the electrolytics that have been changed out. It has become my main go to amp and my JTM 45/100, however beautiful it is, has taken 2nd place. To my ear it takes pedals better, is way more versatile and predictable in regard to the EQ, has more gain on tap, is even more dynamic and can go from very clean to flat out overdriven just by pick attack - better than the JTM45/100. It has also great cleans. It is maybe a tad bit less punchy (but currently i am running it as an OR80 - with only 2 from 4 tubes). But it also does fall apart differently than the 45/100 when completely dimed, but tfor this it has good options to keep the bass under control and hence get the amp to a much more civilised sound.

In my experiments it sems like the Or120 can be set to sound very similar to a JTM45/100, but the Orange's resonant peak (if i may call it that - a certain accentuation in the mids) seems to be a tad bit lower in the frequencies than the JTM.

Currently it seesm like i have found my sound - can't imagine what might be improved. The only thing is that i was somewhat used to the erratic moments of the Marshall, while the Orange seems a bit more cleaner, even when overdriven hard.

I'd be very interested to hear what hard-core Marshall users have to say about their experiences with the vintage Orange amps. PReviously it seemed to me like they have very different sounds, but they seem to live very much in the same family after all.

Regards,

VintageCharlie