I'm thinking of getting a Randall. Am I crazy!!?

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:50 pm

I remember those!!!

I remember trying to decide between a Randall, the Mosfet Marshall, and the 30 watt Artist head. I ended up getting the Randall because I didn't have enough money for a cab. I remember liking that Artist ... I think it was a hybrid with a SS preamp and a tube power section.
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

myker

Post by myker » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:39 pm

those were the bad ol' days. yuk!
those randall amps sound so brittle and shitty! but back in the day i thought they were cool because they had so much damn distortion!! there are a couple of metal touring pro's with big names that still use those..and those crate SS amps too... :lol:
diarhea!
mike...

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:10 pm

Well I got the amp and I'm really impressed with it. It doesn't take the place of any of my Marshalls, but it's about 90% there at low volumes to say that it's a keeper! At higher volume it starts to sound harder and less sweet. It's got a bit of JCM800 flavor but it's also got a loose quality that's a lot like my amps with the lower filtering. I was afraid it would be overly tight and sterile.

I've heard that the combos didn't sound as good as the heads and that the 100 watt Celestion speaker wasn't the best. I'm plugging into my G12H30/Greenback cab and I'm sure that's really helping!

Back in the day I used to max the gain and all the tone knobs, so that definitely contributed to the lousy tone. Now that I have real Marshalls to compare it to, I only have the gain on 5-6, the bass on 0, the mids on 10, the treble on 7, and the presence on 4. It's sounding VERY Marshally.

I really need to get my recording gear up and running again so I can make a clip.
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

myker

Post by myker » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:06 pm

yeah do that, man. i'd really like to hear some clips of someone that got a SS amp to sound that good. that would be dope.
mike

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:27 pm

myker wrote:dont tell anybody, but my first half-stack was actually a marshall mosfet lead 100, and it sounded like horse-turds smackin' in the mud.
mike..
Damn My first half stack was one of those too but mine sounded pretty good for what it was. I used an mxr 6 band through the effects loop and an ibanez tube screamer (mid 80's era one) in front of it. Was good for thrash metal but that was about it.

myker

Post by myker » Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:57 am

sorry if it seems like i am bashing the amps that you like, but i have never heard a solid state amp or solid state tube hybrid that sounded good to me at all. the thin harshness and odd order harmonics fatigue my ears and they get lost in the mix when you rock with your friends. but i want to hear some sound clips of gnugears set up. he's got it dialed in to rock
mike..