I bought a Hot Plate.....

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

I bought a Hot Plate.....

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:53 pm

Last week. I've taken it to a few gigs and used it in the shop a bunch.
Very cool. Definately better than the power brake in the more attenuated settings. The extra features are sweet, too. I've got lots of ideas for the line out.

For the amount of attenuation I use (not more than 8dbs), it's not really better the the PB. Different, but I wouldn't say better. Where it really shines is at lower settings.

I took it apart (of course) and it's not a good candidate for modification.
Which is a shame, I'd like to add a second level control like I do on my PB's.

I'm going to try a wet/dry effects setup tonight at my gig. Using the line out on the HP. This should be fun!

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:40 pm

The HotPlate is a doozy on the inside. Lots of quality made intricate work. I'm in love with mine.
Just Feel it MAN! -Shane Gorski "Country Boy Shane"

www.flickr.com/photos/shanegorski

rjgtr

Weber MASS

Post by rjgtr » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:56 am

George,

You ought to look into a WeberVST MASS. It looks like it would be a modifier's kind of box. I have one and it allows the amp to sound good. Plus WeberVST offers all kinds of cool options, or you can buy the parts and roll your own! Plus he offers multiple Ohm selection options.

Richard
Richard Johnson

Playing an instrument doesn't make you a Musician ... Listening does...

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:16 pm

Doesn't the Weber have like 4 knobs... i don't know that is too complex for me. HA HA! :P

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:17 pm

Dang my HotPlate gets insanely hot at -16dB settings. All that resistance could thaw me a chicken breast out of the freezer.

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:47 pm

george,
Talk to gnugear,he likes his mass better than the hotplate at low volumes..or even a better idea,build your own with the features you want.you could use the hotplate and mass as a building reference!
stan

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:07 pm

I think the problem with the MASS is that it can't really take the pounding of a 100 watt Marshall. Sounds like a design flaw to me. Works great with my 50 watter though.

Yeah George, I think a Metroamp attenuator should be your next project!!!
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:36 pm

You might want to take that up with Flames. He's voting for a JTM45 kit.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:08 pm

Your call George. Flames may be broke soon.
Came home yesterday afternoon to water all over my basement, thank God the Marshalls and my Music Man have casters, but my freakin' 1966-very-clean-Fender Bassman was sitting on wet carpet. The water hadn't made it to the '67 Bandmaster, but man was I pissed. I snuck home today while I was running errands to check things out and the same thing had happened again (I'd moved the Bassman) so I get to call out the sewer guys and see what the hell the deal is. Should be a simple cleanout of the lines but you never know until the "pros" try to hose you out of a load of cash. Last plumbing job I had done turned into a $3000 nightmare of digging up my yard and replacing the whole line into the house. :x :x :( :(

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:11 pm

PS Shane, the knobs on the MASS are almost all for the DI output. If you're using it as an attenuator the only knob you adjust is the speaker output volume.
But it won't hack it with a raging 100watt Marshall. Only highly recommended with 50 watters. Which I guess leads full circle back to that JTM45 kit, George......funny how it all ties together like that. :D

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:55 pm

Yea that is a good point! Oh man, check out this reply from Ed DeGenero at THD about my HotPlate. I'm sorry, but i think i know how to hook this baby up by having used it 2 years already!

What you describe I'm asked about once a day. This happens when the Hot Plate is hooked up backwards. Swap the cables from in to outpu in the Hot Plate and it'll be fixed.
On Apr 14, 2004, at 11:34 AM, Shane Gorski wrote:

Hello fellas,

I've been a loyal THD 16ohm Hotplate user for about 2 years now using it to hush my '69 Marshall SuperLead into my 4x12 cab loaded with G12H-30 watters @16ohms. Everything was going good with my head set on 16ohms and the cab in mono was on 16ohms. However, the time came when i wanted to upgrade my setup so it included another 4x12 cab at 16ohms.

I e-mailed you guys before about doing this and you said that ideally i would have to get an 8ohm HotPlate but that there was another way around it. You guys told me that if i set my amp on 8ohms and wired it to the HotPlate with 2-16 ohm cabs attached that there should be no problems. On the other hand, i've think i've noticed something real fishy.

When i'm running my amp at full volume and have the HotPlate at -16dB for small clubs with my new setup, at about 20 minutes through my set the volume of my whole rig totally divebombs and i have to set the HotPlate up a notch to -12dB which can be too loud for the situation at times. I don't know what the heck could be doing this. I was hypothesizing something around having a tiny power surge at the time and the HotPlate didn't like it, but turning it to -12dB really kind of showed that up. Do you think that the HotPlate could be overheating since its at such a high load? Either way this is definitely not cool. I sure hope this isn't damaging my new Mercury Magnetics Output Transformer that i paid so much money for!

If you can help me out as fast as you can that would be fantastic.

Thanks gentlemen,
-Shane Gorski

dad99_2000

Re: I bought a Hot Plate.....

Post by dad99_2000 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:29 pm

VelvetGeorge wrote:Last week. I've taken it to a few gigs and used it in the shop a bunch.
Very cool. Definately better than the power brake in the more attenuated settings. The extra features are sweet, too. I've got lots of ideas for the line out.

For the amount of attenuation I use (not more than 8dbs), it's not really better the the PB. Different, but I wouldn't say better. Where it really shines is at lower settings.

I took it apart (of course) and it's not a good candidate for modification.
Which is a shame, I'd like to add a second level control like I do on my PB's.

I'm going to try a wet/dry effects setup tonight at my gig. Using the line out on the HP. This should be fun!

George

What kind of mods do you perform on the powerbreak??

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by flemingmras » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:00 pm

George performs a mod that makes it "gig ready". Basically it's a second stepping switch that he adds. You set one for your rhythm volume, then you set one a few clicks higher for your solo volume, then you can footswitch between the two so that your solos cut through. There's even a dual color indicator LED to let you know which mode you're in! WAY cool mod! I tried it out when I sat in with George's band Jedi Mind Trip and it totally works great!

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:14 pm

Damn you guys! I wish i could do a mod like that on my HotPlate! :? ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr

dad99_2000

Post by dad99_2000 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:12 pm

So How can I do this with mine????