Wah in Front of Fuzz

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Zoso
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Zoso » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:01 pm

I tried the resistor thing, and it did pretty much what I thought it would do. TOOK AWAY MY FUZZ!! But that's cool, cause I didn't alter anything and I learned something. I also messed with the internal bias pot on the '70, but I still couldn't find a comfortable median. But I did find a good solution for the wah buffer. I found a schematic for one at a site called fuzz central . So I picked up the necessary components for about six bucks. I will be putting it together and installing it in the wah hopefully by the end of the week, so I'll post a report. It looks just like the foxrox one, and if I can get it to work, I'll have saved about 25-30 dollars. After some study of my wah, I think I know which part of the ribbon wire to cut to insert the buffer, so I guess we'll see.
What good is my wisdom
When there are no words to say
How I feel everday ?

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:07 am

I was going to post some info about guitargadgets.com and some other sites that have tiny DIY boards to make little buffers that are pretty cheap to do but I didnt think of it. I was probably going to get the one from GG and heat shrink it up just like the FoxRox one for my wah.

Zoso
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Zoso » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:01 am

Well, I built the buffer and after some slight trouble finding where on the circuit board to solder the power wire for 9V, it is a complete success. Definitely fixes the problem and the wah sounds no different(by itself I mean, it sounds much different with the fuzz) Great little project and I saved about 35 bucks.

I bet Hendrix did have the 2m2 resistor in his fuzz, cause my buddy has an Axis fuzz and it is by no means tame. He doesn't use a wah, but after having this issue I took my wah over to his place the other day and tried it. It had very little problems in front of the Axis, it was still a little noisy and a little of the wah range was lost, but no where near the problems I was having with my fuzz. Mayer must do domething else to the circuit, cause when I tried the resistor on my '70 fuzz, it took some life out of it. But the Axis can go full out fuzz with no problem. So I'm guessing Mayer put the resistor in Jimi's fuzz to help his wah problem, and then modded the circuit more to compensate for the resistor. Just my two cents. I'm just glad I got my problem fixed, since I don't have Roger Mayer around to mod my stuff for me. :lol:
What good is my wisdom
When there are no words to say
How I feel everday ?

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:37 am

Zoso wrote:I bet Hendrix did have the 2m2 resistor in his fuzz, cause my buddy has an Axis fuzz and it is by no means tame. He doesn't use a wah, but after having this issue I took my wah over to his place the other day and tried it. It had very little problems in front of the Axis, it was still a little noisy and a little of the wah range was lost, but no where near the problems I was having with my fuzz. Mayer must do domething else to the circuit, cause when I tried the resistor on my '70 fuzz, it took some life out of it. But the Axis can go full out fuzz with no problem. So I'm guessing Mayer put the resistor in Jimi's fuzz to help his wah problem, and then modded the circuit more to compensate for the resistor. Just my two cents. I'm just glad I got my problem fixed, since I don't have Roger Mayer around to mod my stuff for me. :lol:
Yeah. I thought about that possiblity. The axis is a bit intense. Im sure there is some way to 'make up for' the loss on the input by increasing the intensity at some other point in the circuit. I beleive thats probably how it was done as well.