solo/overdrive boost for a 45/100

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tenderfoot
Just the numbers in order: 7

solo/overdrive boost for a 45/100

Post by Tenderfoot » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Hi, this is my first post, although I've been a long time reader for a 2 or 3 years. I have a 45/100 clone and use a Axis fuzz,on at all times to go from clean to crunch with my guitar's volume knob. I also use an overdrive pedal, drive and volume on 10 to give me the solo drive and sustain but it does not increase the volume for solos which is what I need. My question is, if I put another Axis behind the other and run it's volume a little above the other will that give me the volume boost and especially sustain I'm looking for?
Thanks, any help will be appreciated..

Tenderfoot

Re: solo/overdrive boost for a 45/100

Post by Tenderfoot » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:29 am

Well, I think i have it figured out. Will try a quality, transparent clean boost at the end of my pedal chain. Hopefully something like an xotic ep3 will do the job. Thanks.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:57 am

Good call. Another Axis in the chain could bring lots of noise.

I love clean boosts with all old Marshalls and my replicas. Which one just depends on how they handle low end, sometimes you need them to roll off a bit.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:20 pm

Finally got the xotic and it is just what was needed. More than enough clean boost on hand for solos, and it makes the notes,for lack of a better word richer. I have to do everything I can to keep from just leaving it on all the time.

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:47 am

Wanted to give another update and ask a question. although the ep boost/axis fuzz combo is great with my strat, the axis is almost unusable with my new Flying V with EJ pickups. The lower freq. are wooly and overall its fizzy. Does anyone have a cure? I'm willing to look into another fuzz or overdrive if it will handle humbuckers,something I can dial in the amount of fuzz/overdrive with my guitar volume pot. If there is not a quick fix for my axis I might have to look into the Dunlop JB fuzz or the Paul Cochrane Tim pedal.
Thanks for your help.

Reg