What would you pay? What's greedy?

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

What would you pay? What's greedy?

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:24 am

Yesterday, I listed a "rare" :roll: pedal on ebay that's new in the box and mint condition. I set the starting price at what I paid for it. So far it only has 1 bid but I've had countless email messages to end the auction and sell for a much larger price. "How much do you want?" "How bad do you want to sell this?" :lol:

Anyway, bounce that around. When does greed take hold for what you think something is worth?
12000 Metro Kit

Tone Slinger

Re: What would you pay? What's greedy?

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:49 am

How bad do you need Money ? I know you dont have any children,but if you have a parent,siblings or friends who depend on you in some way,then THAT is reason enough to consider things beyond yourself. I wouldnt get in trouble with Ebay,but I'd think that the MOST interested people in your pedal, have already contacted you. The only way to be fair is to 'pull down' your offer, and privately negotiate amongst the most interested 8) . That way,you wont be nervous wondering how the Ebay sale unfolds, and you can close the deal quickly. If you have a vintage,mint in the box pedal, then that could very wellbe unprecidented. Your asking price would have to reflect that as well :D . Then again, you could sell it for what you have in it to a friend, or someone that would enjoy it. I guess it comes down tomy first question.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:57 am

Thing is I don't need the money. I'm just slowly getting rid of stuff I don't use. Its not vintage. Its a limited run pedal thats very popular. Someone already bid what I paid for the thing. I expect $400-$500 pretty easy for it. I paid $269.00. I waited until there was none for sale as well. There is another there for 30 days. I listed mine for 10. It's just odd seeing people fall over each other for what I think is a very over rated item.

Man...I have a lot of stuff I don't use.... :roll:
12000 Metro Kit

mightymike
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by mightymike » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:25 pm

I had a Gold Klon Centaur I paid 300, and sold for $600. They bid it up to that. No greed involved. Get what you can for it. Not every time will you make a profit selling off ur stuff. My .02

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:54 am

mightymike wrote:I had a Gold Klon Centaur I paid 300, and sold for $600. They bid it up to that. No greed involved. Get what you can for it. Not every time will you make a profit selling off ur stuff. My .02
What did you think of the Klon? I just don't get it.
12000 Metro Kit

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:45 am

My take on them (Klon centaur clones & modelers) is they need this prerequisite:

single coiled strat & clean,lower gain fender amp. They very much 'colored' the tone, but in a good way for the single coil/fender amp scenario.

For hb'ers and crunch,not so good. A TS kills them in that dept imo, but, I've never played through an AUTHENTIC Klon Centaur :hide: :D
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:04 pm

The thing with pedals is that you have to know what the market will bear. If you see how well and for what price other pedals like yours have sold on eBay, then you have a pretty good idea of how much you could or should get for it. You can also see what the buzz is on the gear forums as well.

I sold an incredible replica of the Solasound Professional MKII Tonebender that David Main of D*A*M* pedals made for me in the UK. These can be bought from David, but there is generally a very long waiting list and it is pricey. Plus my pedal was built inside a perfect replica of the original pedal's housing (the housing came from a 90s Colorsound reissue of the pedal that I sent to David to build the correct circuit onto) I sold it for what I paid for it...around $950. And it sold quickly because there is a huge demand for it.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:55 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:
mightymike wrote:I had a Gold Klon Centaur I paid 300, and sold for $600. They bid it up to that. No greed involved. Get what you can for it. Not every time will you make a profit selling off ur stuff. My .02
What did you think of the Klon? I just don't get it.
It was a good pedal, but dimed sounds so much more dynamic to me.. The guy that sold it to me was a Fender Amp guy, who liked Fulltone pedals better. For Marshall I like the Marshall Shredmaster 2 Pedal better than the Klon, but I like dimed better, but it did do a really good crunch tone, and was great for sweep picking type players.
Tone Slinger wrote:My take on them (Klon centaur clones & modelers) is they need this prerequisite:

single coiled strat & clean,lower gain fender amp. They very much 'colored' the tone, but in a good way for the single coil/fender amp scenario.

For hb'ers and crunch,not so good. A TS kills them in that dept imo, but, I've never played through an AUTHENTIC Klon Centaur :hide: :D
They must be better for Fenders, because the gain structure was tight, but I felt it rolled off too many high on my Marshall builds.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:43 am

Let's see. I played through 2 Golds & 1 silver, but the silver was of the first transitions. Bill says there's no difference. (99.9% agree.)
You guys are right about playing through Fender's & Marshall's.
Centaurs compliment the Fender Blonde's, Black's, & Silver's very nicely. Very transparent and adds bloom to your notes.
IMO Best & smoothest overdrive for that scenario, but for a Marshall you have to back off on the volumes and use more of the
pedals level control.
I don't like or care for it with a Marshall (dimed as well), but is Magic with Fenders & Fender style amps.
So, great for Fender amp players less about the guitar...

Personally I would prefer (to build) a clone since I've heard some good ones that are 90% in the ballpark. :wink:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:45 am

My fav for a Marshall is a Blackstone Appliance.
12000 Metro Kit

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:28 pm

I have a KTR. Jury is still out but it's def better with single coils and Fender amp but Beck doesn't seem to have a problem with the Marshalls. Then again does he a have problem wiht anything? fukker...
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:41 pm

I know Bonamassa sets his with all 3 knobs on the 11 o'clock position. I tried it through a Fender Twin and it sounded just like Eric Johnson.

James Hetfield has one in with his rack effects. :what:
12000 Metro Kit

Froumy

Post by Froumy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:30 am

For the original question, get what you can. If someone agrees you've done them a service, by locating said pedal. If it's worth it to them, you just made their day. We both know that that pedal isn't going to make them a guitar god, or make their line 6 sound awesome.

You know that, and it seems your sketching on that, profiting of a fool. Good man. But you'll never convince a fool. If you represent the pedal for what it is, and note that it may not work for everyone based on their setup, you've done your part.
Demo it through a proper amp, so they are fully aware of what they are getting, and not the fantasy they think they are buying. And don't forget that there are actual players that will be completely happy to give you a finders fee on the pedal. Hope you find that guy. If you find the right guy, I'd sell it to him for slightly less. I'd also try to talk the fool out of it. Finding something for someone is not greedy. It's mutually beneficial. Talk down the fools.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:43 am

Sold!

KA-CHING!

Yup...greedy.
12000 Metro Kit

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:01 pm

I don't feel it's greed. The market will determine the price every time.
~guitar007