Taming a vintage vox v846

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Mattbarszcz95
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Taming a vintage vox v846

Post by Mattbarszcz95 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:00 pm

Hey everybody, i stumbled across this forum looking for wah mods, so i figured id sign up and talk to some cool guys.

Ive got this bizarre issue with two old made in italy vox v846 wah wah pedals. They had bad pots, so i sent them of to Geoffrey teese to be repaired. And since I got them back they sound so bright when the pedal is depressed that they start to feedback. Even when the amp is clean. The one that was operational before i sent it never did that. Ive tried adjusting the pot to turn down max travel to knock it down some but then the peadal is half way down before the squak kicks in. I just really want to get these pedals working so i can use them. Any help would be appreciated.

I am perfectly willing to alter the circuits of these pedals and mod them myself. They both have the trash can inductors, geoffreys replica icar pots, wired for true bypass, but all the caps , resistors and transistors appear to be ofiginal.

Signal chain is 87 strat with 60’s pickups, into a tc electronics dual parametric eq, into the vox wah, into ts-88 tube screamer, into 59 bassman. Tried pedals in every combination. Tried a telecaster which led to instant feedback. And all 4 chanels of the amp. Still the same results.

Sorry for being so long winded, just wanted to provide you guys with all the information that i could.

Thank you,
Matt

bobtec
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Taming a vintage vox v846

Post by bobtec » Mon May 10, 2021 10:47 pm

Go to GeoFX you need to look around.. It tells you everything Also measure the pots ohm some are more then 100K By 1978 crybabys pot was 120 K made it very bright I read what to change And made it good,

axeman
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Taming a vintage vox v846

Post by axeman » Wed May 26, 2021 3:53 pm