Has anyone tried Maxon OD808?

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

thunder970

Has anyone tried Maxon OD808?

Post by thunder970 » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:48 pm

I have my amp set for a good rythm crunch and wanted something for a gain boost for heavier stuff. I had a sd-1 and it sounded to processed to me so I ditched it. Maxon seems to be a good mass produced pedals but I haven't tried them. My brother did and said that all the Maxon pedals sounded good and fell in love with the Analog delay :shock: I would just like more input on this please. I'm particularly interested in the OD808, Thanks

dosmun

Post by dosmun » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:18 pm

I tried one about a year ago and it sounded pretty much identical to my vintage TS-9.

The new MXR Zakk Wylde pedal is supposed to sound pretty good with Marshalls. I believe it is a based on the SD-1 though.

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:46 am

I usually find Tube Screamers/TS clones to have too "hot" a midrange for my tastes with a Les Paul.
One of my faves is by Marshall themselves, though. The old original BluesBreaker pedal, while not having a lot of gain used through a clean amp, is great for a solo boost on an already distorted Marshall. Again, since it was designed by Marshall (to some degree at least) the EQ curve matches perfectly, you just get a bit more gain and volume stomping on it, as if you just kicked in another channel on the Marshall you already have.
Worth tracking one down. Or maybe the original Guv'nor pedal. Either would probably work great.
I haven't heard terribly good things about the newer series of Marshall pedals though.

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:25 pm

Yah that Maxon OD808 sounds like an old TS-9. Another cool od pedal is the old Dean Markely Overlord. The old Marshall Guv-Nor is nice. I have that jackhammer thing which is pretty good as a clean boost using the OD section. tends to get a bit muddy and the drive on it is a bit grainy. Not bad if you are looking for a Randy Rhoads type thing. The Dist side of the pedal is completely worthless. All it sounds like is a bassy Whoosh no matter how you tweak the eq on it.

dosmun

Post by dosmun » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:02 am

I have one of each of the Overlords. I have the tube Overlord which is the same thing as the Butler/Chandler Tube Driver. BK Butler built the Overlord. I also have a later Overlord III which is a solid state overdrive but it is not very impressive.

dosmun

Post by dosmun » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:05 am

A pedal you may want to try is the BJF Dyna Red. I got to use one this weekend. It will turn a already cooking amp into a High Gain Monster without getting muddy.

Check out the Music Toyz forum for more info on peds. Tons of great info there.

www.musictoyz.com