MXR Vintage 74 Phase 90 review

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

MARCO

Post by MARCO » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:27 pm

Hey Guys,

This is what I dont like about companies that make 300 versions of one piece of gear!! I realy want to nail the EVH old script phase tone so which one do I get?? I have a custom made one which I will never sell, had a EVH Phase 90 (sold for the same reasons you guys mentioned) and need to settle on a phase that is as close to the original script phase as possible. Is the 74' it???

WHat are differences between all of them??
MARC34

nitro

Post by nitro » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:18 pm

If you can find a original vintage mxr phase 90(if you have the funds) that would be the way to go,i have 2 original vintage phase 90 from 1974 they sound amazing,i havent tried the new reissue vintage phase 90 so i cant compare,mxr has to many reissues of the phase 90,that crazy.......

Ruben

Post by Ruben » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:19 am

I've had 2 original Scripts, but like I posted before, I think they weren't as good sounding. They were very hard to track down and paid (to much) money for it. To me (but that's just my opinion) the Vintage 74 is the way to go ;)

MARCO

Post by MARCO » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:24 pm

I will try to find a 74' Reissue then because $200+ for someone's old gear that you have no idea how it will sound is a chance I am NOT willing to take. Now I was lucky on my Boss GE-10 as it was orginally found by BRONCO from this board and he mentioned it to me since the guy was in Chicago. My bro picked it up and it looked like it never left the box, it was mint/like new!! I think I have the original box. Same goes for my original early 80's MXR Flange....mint and sounds incredible.

Am I wrong in saying that MXR is f-ing with peoples minds with all of these reissues of the Phase 90?? C'mon already MXR!!??
MARC34

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:05 am

MARCO wrote:I will try to find a 74' Reissue then because $200+ for someone's old gear that you have no idea how it will sound is a chance I am NOT willing to take. Now I was lucky on my Boss GE-10 as it was orginally found by BRONCO from this board and he mentioned it to me since the guy was in Chicago. My bro picked it up and it looked like it never left the box, it was mint/like new!! I think I have the original box. Same goes for my original early 80's MXR Flange....mint and sounds incredible.

Am I wrong in saying that MXR is f-ing with peoples minds with all of these reissues of the Phase 90?? C'mon already MXR!!??
Yeh the 74 reissue is the real deal..and what was it years ago ..the r 28 mod and then the evh one that switches it out , and then the cloners with unmatched fets....go with the reissue ..they finally got there shit together and build them with matched fets for a rich tone without feedback gimmicks. It took them years to finally figure out what diy pedal builders have been doing for years....matching them fets. :wink:

MARCO

Post by MARCO » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:39 am

didnt they put a true bypass on there too on the 74???
MARC34

blueboxer

Post by blueboxer » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:15 am

No "true-bypass"... it has a Carling SPDT footswitch just like the original had in '74.
"Amp guy from Cowtown."'

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:51 am

blueboxer wrote:
No "true-bypass"... it has a Carling SPDT footswitch just like the original had in '74.

That's why originals are notoriuos tone suckers....and benifet from an output buffer addition..something present diy effect builders add also that will probably appear in a future and better version of the original..mark my words. :D

matttornado

Post by matttornado » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:28 pm

I actually like the fact that the 74 reissue isn't true bypass because it takes some of the high end harshness away making my amp tone a lot better. :wink:

blueboxer

Post by blueboxer » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:52 pm

That's why originals are notoriuos tone suckers....and benifet from an output buffer addition..something present diy effect builders add also that will probably appear in a future and better version of the original..mark my words.
Just do what I did... install a Carling DPDT footswitch in the '74 Reissue and you're good to go with no tone sucking. It's that simple...it doesn't need a buffer!
"Amp guy from Cowtown."'

Good Guest

Post by Good Guest » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:44 pm

blueboxer wrote:
That's why originals are notoriuos tone suckers....and benifet from an output buffer addition..something present diy effect builders add also that will probably appear in a future and better version of the original..mark my words.
Just do what I did... install a Carling DPDT footswitch in the '74 Reissue and you're good to go with no tone sucking. It's that simple...it doesn't need a buffer!
The buffer serves a secondary purpose as well...driving the next effect in line without any tone sucking....however a lot of commercial products have a buffered front end anyways, albeit like someone pointed out , tone sucking might be something desirable.

Ruben

Post by Ruben » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:23 pm

Mine came with a true bypass switch. I don't use it THAT much, so why would anyone tone suck if the pedal's off?

blueboxer

Post by blueboxer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:24 am

The buffer serves a secondary purpose as well...driving the next effect in line without any tone sucking....however a lot of commercial products have a buffered front end anyways, albeit like someone pointed out , tone sucking might be something desirable.
I agree with you that it is wise to use a buffered pedal at the front of your pedal chain to drive other effects and long cable runs (in my case I use an Ibanez TS-10). The '74 Phase 90 reissue however, is just fine with a DPDT switch to prevent "tone sucking". :wink:
"Amp guy from Cowtown."'

MARCO

Post by MARCO » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:16 am

I learned that the EVH Phase 90 and Script Reissue are not that different. If you look at the interior of both phasers, the only difference is probably going to be that the EVH has a push button to activate it to "Script" where the reissue already has that feature built in. Also, the sweet spot for the EVH phase is around 9 o'clock. If any of you like the versatility and dont need a vintage looking phase, the EVH will do just fine. From what I hear, the 74' Reissue is dead on, the EVH blends versatility with some style and the Script Reissue is just a later version Script. I know.....confusing, but thought I'd share that with you on the EVH. Its not a bad Phase to have and has true bypass. I also heard the older or more you use them the better they get with age.
MARC34

whiteeagle

Post by whiteeagle » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:25 am

Hello there,
I'm dreaming owning a Phase 90 since I saw Donald Fagen from Steely Dan using one with his Rhodes piano.
I tried the EVH Phase 90 in a music store and I liked alot the "script" mode.
But what confused me is why Dunlop didn't made the 74 reissue earlier:
they could save a lot of trouble to got this right: let's count:
1) block logo reissue requiring the famous r28 mod.
2) EVH edition.
3) Custom shop "script" reissue with LED indicator or not.
and finally
4) 74 vintage script reissue.
So why they invest a lot of money to face many frustrated buyers and a lot of debate doin' all those versions?
They would avoid the hassle, if they had issued the 74 vintage version in the first place.
I think the 74 vintage reissue is the way to go when I'll have the money.
What do you think?
Thanks, cheers
Nick