Tape Echo Pedals who uses what?

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Capt Vemo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Tape Echo Pedals who uses what?

Post by Capt Vemo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Ive decided Im not gonna get the Ep booster as Im not using my tape echo pedal like EVH did to drive the amp. My amp is already being driven hard enough especially with the eq pedal. I dont need another boost pedal I needed a good echo. My friend explained it well.

Sure the EP pedal would allow you to drive the amp harder, but that isn't going to make the echo pedal sound any closer to a real echoplex....it's just going to make the amp sound like a real echoplex that has been set to overdrive the amp.

Tons of guys have used echoplexes as just echo units without driving the preamp, and Wampler preset the output in that pedal so that it's just normal and not driving the preamp.

But the EP isn't going to make it sound like a "real echoplex"...it already DOES sound like a real echoplex...it just doesn't sound like real echoplex that is driving the preamp.
A wise man once said:
"There is no right piece of gear, only the next piece of gear."
He eventually went broke, but his tone was incredible

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:49 am

Capt Vemo wrote:Ive decided Im not gonna get the Ep booster as Im not using my tape echo pedal like EVH did to drive the amp. My amp is already being driven hard enough especially with the eq pedal. I dont need another boost pedal I needed a good echo. My friend explained it well.

Sure the EP pedal would allow you to drive the amp harder, but that isn't going to make the echo pedal sound any closer to a real echoplex....it's just going to make the amp sound like a real echoplex that has been set to overdrive the amp.

Tons of guys have used echoplexes as just echo units without driving the preamp, and Wampler preset the output in that pedal so that it's just normal and not driving the preamp.

But the EP isn't going to make it sound like a "real echoplex"...it already DOES sound like a real echoplex...it just doesn't sound like real echoplex that is driving the preamp.
So I guess that the Wampler has some sort of EP-3 pre-amp in it already? The circuit as I understand it acts like a compressor, not a distortion unit. Not really driving the amp harder, just more signal getting through without the noise.

Capt Vemo

Post by Capt Vemo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29 am

So I guess that the Wampler has some sort of EP-3 pre-amp in it already? The circuit as I understand it acts like a compressor, not a distortion unit. Not really driving the amp harder, just more signal getting through without the noise.

No EP-3 preamp in it just has a echoplex echo sound to it. What Im saying is my amp doesnt need that extra preamp thats not why I bought this. My amp doesnt need to be overdriven anymore. And I have a preamp clean boost in my Empress eq pedal. What my friend was saying is its not gonna make it sound anymore like a real echoplex by adding the EP boost. Im getting the boost elsewhere. I think the 2 boost pedals would be way to much and just create abunch of noise. Maybe your hoping by doing this it may get that brown sound thats so sought after on this forum. Im not into EVHs sound myself way better tones out there to me than that. But the fact is I dont see any amp doing what EVHs doing to get that sound even Eds didnt get that sound Ive heard recordings of the songs before Ted Templeman mixed it and added his touch. Then his amp sounded like that. And he ran through so much shit load boxes into a power amp and droppin his voltage down to 90volts. Hes not just pluggin into a plexi and getting that sound. He definatly knows tone and how to get a great tone but it was a huge process for him to get it. And even after all that his amp on stage didnt sound like that till live. I like his sound Im just not shooting for it. I purchased this pedal as a echo unit not a preamp.
A wise man once said:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:50 am

Capt Vemo wrote:
garbeaj wrote:So I guess that the Wampler has some sort of EP-3 pre-amp in it already? The circuit as I understand it acts like a compressor, not a distortion unit. Not really driving the amp harder, just more signal getting through without the noise.
No EP-3 preamp in it just has a echoplex echo sound to it. What Im saying is my amp doesnt need that extra preamp thats not why I bought this. My amp doesnt need to be overdriven anymore. And I have a preamp clean boost in my Empress eq pedal. What my friend was saying is its not gonna make it sound anymore like a real echoplex by adding the EP boost. Im getting the boost elsewhere. I think the 2 boost pedals would be way to much and just create abunch of noise. Maybe your hoping by doing this it may get that brown sound thats so sought after on this forum. Im not into EVHs sound myself way better tones out there to me than that. But the fact is I dont see any amp doing what EVHs doing to get that sound even Eds didnt get that sound Ive heard recordings of the songs before Ted Templeman mixed it and added his touch. Then his amp sounded like that. And he ran through so much shit load boxes into a power amp and droppin his voltage down to 90volts. Hes not just pluggin into a plexi and getting that sound. He definitely knows tone and how to get a great tone but it was a huge process for him to get it. And even after all that his amp on stage didnt sound like that till live. I like his sound Im just not shooting for it. I purchased this pedal as a echo unit not a preamp.
I understand now...you just want the "tape" sound out of your echo unit. I see that you already have a pre-amp boosting your signal in the EQ pedal, so it makes sense to avoid the EP-3 style pre-amp.

I've never used an EQ or a pre-amp, so I would want to try the EP-3 style pre-amp pedals, regardless of the tone (EVH or not) just to get the nice clean boost that Pete Thorn gets with his Clinch F/X EP-3 pre-amp pedal. I've also never used any other digital models of tape delay besides the Line 6 DL-4 modeller, which was OK, but too complicated for me to figure out how to use...thus I would like to try the Wampler or Strymon tape delay simulators.

Capt Vemo

Post by Capt Vemo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah thats all Im using it for Im not opposed to tryin one of the EP3 boost pedals. Im like George Lynch always searching and tryin new things. Like he says I usually go back to what I used in the early days but that tone searchin sure is fun. There was a local band years ago here in detroit and all he used was a 69 superlead with a furman PQ-3 parametric eq. And Ive never heard a amp have more balls and grit than that amp. Im not a effects kind of guy my pedalboard consists of a Vox wah this tape echo and a parametric eq pedal. I was gonna get a furman PQ-3 but rack mounted stuff is outdated.And Empress pretty much nailed it with this paraeq pedal. Im more about tone pedals and not effects I got a 50 watt plexi with a Gibson flying V and a wah and delay. A simple set up like my man Michael Schenker.
A wise man once said:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:21 pm

Cool! :thumbsup:

Capt Vemo

Post by Capt Vemo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:08 pm

Heres my pedal board as it stands and Im probably gonna keep it this way other than maybe adding a spring reverp pedal for the bluesy stuff. I just need to build me a board to put them on oh I decided to post a pic of my guitar and rig too.
IMG_2176.jpg
IMG_2176.jpg (62.72 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
IMG_2080.jpg
IMG_2080.jpg (35.76 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
A wise man once said:

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:55 pm

I know the el cap is awesome but if you can find a used cheap echo park from line 6 you may like that as well.
Downside is it doesn't have analog mixing and adjustability like the el cap but its a damn fine sounding tape emulation. I love it.
Its not the same as the algo they use in the DL4- this one is their best one to my ears. I just wich it had the adjustable grit and bias and saturation like el cap. Somehow though its still set up with a cool amount of all elements even if not adjustable.
Has this killer thick midrange with dirtiness to it and sounds pretty fat.
Check "shnobel" for delay demos on youtube. He gives it a good demo and a a/b with other delays like the flashback.

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Xplorer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:12 pm

why not getting the real deal ? the echo on it can't be simulated good enough, at least for me.
Tape is tape.
even among the other tape echoes, it's unique. it transform the sounds in a way that all these wamplers etc couldn't achieve. so hard to describe.
it is not only an echo and a preamp. there's something more, on the good ones, well tuned.
it brings some kind of frequencys, very soft, cotton, and the sounds seems to be elastic, gum pulled on each side ... a super musical unique effect, subtle, and i'm not talking about the preamp or the echo.
But yes, it can be a lot of work sometimes, depending on the units. but all units can be restored.
get a vintage electric mistress or a univibe with that and it's total heaven with a nice plexi and strat.

Capt Vemo

Post by Capt Vemo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:52 pm

Xplorer wrote:why not getting the real deal ? the echo on it can't be simulated good enough, at least for me.
Tape is tape.
even among the other tape echoes, it's unique. it transform the sounds in a way that all these wamplers etc couldn't achieve. so hard to describe.
it is not only an echo and a preamp. there's something more, on the good ones, well tuned.
it brings some kind of frequencys, very soft, cotton, and the sounds seems to be elastic, gum pulled on each side ... a super musical unique effect, subtle, and i'm not talking about the preamp or the echo.
But yes, it can be a lot of work sometimes, depending on the units. but all units can be restored.
get a vintage electric mistress or a univibe with that and it's total heaven with a nice plexi and strat.
Well one they cost to much to fuck up all the time and apparantly the guy that owns fulltone is completely full of himself. He dont have a number to call only email and he never responds to them. How the hell do you run a buisness like that? And the few guys I know that actually got one from him they screwed up right away and he will fix them once then he basicly tells you to piss off your on your own. Just the customer service alone that companies like Wampler Lovepedal Strymon has makes it worth it especially since the pedals sound great. May not be a real echoplex but when someone like George Lynch who can afford anything he wants said there just to unreliable to even take on the road then that makes me think its not worth the headache. And I wouldnt want one of the tube versions either and I doubt fulltone will ever complete the solid state version. I just bought a Xotic EP Booster and frankly its going back first thing monday. I dont need any more gain than this amp already delievers especially with my Empress paraeq. It also has 30dbs of clean boost if I need it. But Im not impressed with the EP booster at all. If thats the true sound of the echoplexes preamp section I no likey the sound. I said it before EVH went through a ton of shit to get his amp to sound the way it did.And it still didnt sound like that until Templeman mixed it. The echoplex was only a small part of it and again Im not into the brown sound myself. Im a Michael Schenker kind of guy plug a Gibson flying V into a 50 watt superlead with only a wah and delay and go.
A wise man once said:

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:22 am

And what do you guys think of Roland RE-201 Space Echo? I'd like to get one. The problem is it only appears when I don't have the money and vice versa. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_TNCSztAFQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I often watch this video. It made me go crazy about this unit. And this guy can play!

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:20 am

i hate fulltone, just like you. i didn't mean a fulltone tape echo. i meant an ep3, you can grab it for as much as your clone pedals. just a tad more maybe. there are good deals.
and once it's set properly, it's still reliable don't worry ..

yes, this video is great, thanks for posting. nice lick to play with it, nice tone.

Capt Vemo

Post by Capt Vemo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:54 am

Xplorer wrote:i hate fulltone, just like you. i didn't mean a fulltone tape echo. i meant an ep3, you can grab it for as much as your clone pedals. just a tad more maybe. there are good deals.
and once it's set properly, it's still reliable don't worry ..

yes, this video is great, thanks for posting. nice lick to play with it, nice tone.
I thought the EP3 was just the solid state version of the tube echoplex. In which case there over a grand and as far as I know not being made anymore.
A wise man once said:

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:00 am

In which case what ? I didn't understand, sorry.

The ep3 is the solid state version, yes. Not made anymore. Mike battle passed.
I got one of mine for 150 $ ...

My point is : an ep3 preamp pedal + an echo pedal... It won't bring you there for sure.

Capt Vemo

Post by Capt Vemo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Again thats not really what I was going for I just wanted a nice delay pedal. That simulated a tape echo pedal as close as possible. I found a ep3 on ebay for over 500 and it was beat to shit. Another thing is I dont like buying stuff they no longer make if it becomes a main part of your tone and it breaks down your kinda screwed. I wanted a old furman pq3 parametric eq like I had in the day. But are no longer being made so I got the empress paraeq instead. Good company and great sounding pedals.
A wise man once said: