Tube Screamers/clones and others with plexis

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Tube Screamers/clones and others with plexis

Post by rgorke » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:06 am

the more I play the Joyo, the more I like it. It is NOT the VH tone we have been chasing but it is a good thick overdrive tone. If you keep the volume down on the plexi to about 3 or so, it works well. However, some may argue that doing that is defeating the purpose. But, if it is a good tone that inspires one to play...THAT is the purpose.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:21 pm

I highly doubt anyone would argue a good OD slamin' the front end of a Marshall.
The Eddie factor is something completely different and they would be out of character
since this is all about the Topic title.
Many, many great guitarist used OD's in their tone. (and in songs that are famous.)
Not all are made/built the same, but I would trust my ears knowing what I'm comparing the tone to.

Back to the Joyo; as cheap as it is, the engine which is a Texas Instruments RC4588, is a good thing...
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Man, that sucks big time. I think your right about Digitech. They base that stuff on existing models I'd say. The 'Bad Monkey' is great ON TOP of a hot amp, but imo, if its used to fetch up the bulk of the dirt,it isnt as good as Ibanez TS models. Just not as warm and alive to the touch.The caps and resistors are like SUPER micro spec small.
I'm actually VERY impressed with the insides of that Joyo pedal. Looks to be a great bargain :thumbsup:
So TS, what was your opinion of the Digitech iStomp "Redline Overdrive"? did it sound anything like your Digitech "Bad Monkey" pedal? I agree about the "transparency" issue of a Bad Monkey as opposed to a Tube Screamer or TS clone like my Sparkle Drive. Before I won my Digitech iStomp pedal (and 46 effects), I was seriously looking into all of Joyo's pedal line of effects (especially the overdrive and dirt boxes). I like the Harley Benton version graphics better that the units meant for sale on the U.S. market.

For those who would like to check out a comparison between 8 Joyo (OD/Distortion) pedals, this video provides an impression of what each pedal sounds like (start at 4:12 in the video):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8s66JIXY1A[/youtube]

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:43 pm

Yeah, it did sound a bit like my Bad Monkey, except, that Red Line had more gain than What I get with my Bad Monkey. Maybe they did the 'turbo' thing like Ibanez did (added another gain stage) to the tube screamer ?
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:33 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Yeah, it did sound a bit like my Bad Monkey, except, that Red Line had more gain than What I get with my Bad Monkey. Maybe they did the 'turbo' thing like Ibanez did (added another gain stage) to the tube screamer ?
That very well could be, I've been very happy with the idea that I can instantly "morph" my iStomp pedal into one of 46 quality sounding free pedals. It comes in very handy as a backup for a well used pedal, or when you need a pedal you may not have in your arsenal. I also like the fact that there is absolutely no "noise" from the pedal other than the effect itself. Even analog and digital pedals with discrete electronic components can't match that, AND there's little to no latency whatsoever. The iStomp may very well be the next evolution in the way of guitar effects pedals. One recommendation for Digitech would be allowing for download of effects through one's PC or Mac as opposed to only the iPhone or iPad devices.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:34 am

Lefty Lou wrote:
vanhalen5150 wrote:Show us the insides. Is it modable?
I'm to understand that with the newer Joyo pedals, they're using surface mount technology (SMT) such that if you've got a pair of tweezers, a soldering station, and some SMT parts then it becomes entirely feasible to mod. Other than that, Joyo pedals are modable just like any other pedal.
Yeah some are micro comps. Im not sure if they have switched to that or not. The black 6 band I have does have micro comps. Its identical sounding to the vintage blue 6 band I have though. A/Bing them I couildnt tell the different in sound. The Joyo was actually quieter though.
12000 Metro Kit

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:57 pm

What got me looking at Joyo was that I was trying to find a good Marshall-In-A-Box (MIB) pedal similar to either the Wampler Plexi Drive or the Xotic SL Drive pedals. The JF-32 pedal wasn't like the Wampler Plexi Drive, it was more akin to the newer Carl Martin Plexitone pedal. I ended up liking the JF-03 Crunch Distortion (MI Audio Crunch Box) and JF-36 Sweet Baby (Mad Professor Sweet Honey) pedals the most.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:05 pm

FWIW, is a list of Joyo pedals and their counterparts. I don't agree with some assessments (like the Wampler Plexi Drive f.e.)

Joyo Pedals:
JF-01 Vintage Overdrive = Ibanez TS-808
JF-02 Ultimate Drive = Fulltone OCD
JF-03 Crunch Distortion = Mi Audio Crunch box
JF-04 High Gain Distortion = Marshall Shredmaster
JF-05 Classic Chorus = Boss CE-2?
JF-06 Vintage Phase = MXR phase 90
JF-07 Classic Flanger = ?
JF-08 Digital Delay = ?
JF-09 Tremolo = Diaz Tremodillo
JF-10 Dynamic Compressor = MXR Dyna Comp.
JF-11 6 Band EQ - MXR 6 Band EQ
JF-12 Voodoo Octave (Fuzz Ultimate Octave) = Fulltone Ultimate Octave
JF-13 AC Tone = Tech 21 Character, Liverpool
JF-14 American Sound = Tech 21 Character, Blonde
JF-15 California Sound = Tech 21 Character, California
JF-16 British Sound = Tech 21 Character, British
JF-17 Extreme Metal = EHX Metal Muff
(JDI-01 DI Box)
(JF-30 A/B Switch)
JF-31 Noise Gate = ?
JF-32 Plexi Drive = Wampler Plexi-drive (???)
JF-33 Analog Delay = ?
JF-34 US Dream = ?
JF-35 Pocket Metal = ?
JF-36 Sweet Baby = Mad Professor Sweet Honey
JF-37 Analog Chorus = ?
JF-38 Roll Boost = ?
JF-39 Deluxe Crunch = ?

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:13 am

My Japanese sourced Maxon ST-01 Super Tube Screamer with the 4 knobs and the dual chips gives me the Gary Moore rock tone for days, through the front end of my 2005 1959HW. A little verb and delay and of we go.
Take the song"Dunluce" an instrumental on Gary's "After the War" LP, which starts and finishes the album.
I love that tone for days and that I can get with a HB passive and said verb and digital delay.
I was lucky to get this European/Japan only mid eighties in immaculate condition for $200 from my friend in Tokyo.
I know Gary had a TS-10, but this is damn close!
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:33 am

As far as getting the Gary thang going on, I prefer my Keeley modded Boss BD-2 Blues Driver pedal when using Les Pauls, and I've found that my Digitech iStomp Boss DS-1 simulation (Rock It Distortion) works well with the strats. I've got quite a few other pedals but for an accurate representation of Gary's tone, these two pedals really do the trick for me.