Speed pedal for KR Megavibe???

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Freedom
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Freedom » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:54 pm

RACKDOCTOR wrote: I'll experiment and see if it is possible.

David
Thanks...i have already bought a second EXPII to mess around, i havent modded it yet...
Freedom of Music <=> Music of Freedom

K Randall

Post by K Randall » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:51 pm

Freedom wrote:
RACKDOCTOR wrote:But if you feel so strongly about it, I will tell Kevin to credit you.
David I dont need any credits...what i'd like (=honestly i don't demand anything) is just a link to either the TGP thread or this thread...
RACKDOCTOR wrote:Does it really matter? The info on modding the pedal is from the instruction sheet that comes with the unit since he started making them. But if you feel so strongly about it, I will tell Kevin to credit you.
Yes the schematics comes with the pedal...but he didnt post the schematics, did he? He posted something that he didn't spent any time on...when i find a piece of information on the internet and want to copy paste it to another place i always give the source link because it just seems right to me...

Crediting my name means nothing to me or to anyone else because i am nothing but a nickname for everyone...giving the source link (either TGP or Metroamp) means that a whole community(=the nest of the info) published a useful info that he honored by posting it in his site...cant explain it better...

Tell him i love his stuff, i ve got 5 of his pedals (Megavibe, Doubler, Killer wah, Gypsy Fuzz and the The Fuzz) although i live in the EU (so i gave an arm and a leg to buy his stuff second hand since i cant order them directly) and please tell him that it would be nice to answer some mails here and then...its a bit embarassing to wait for a reply (any reply) for almost 4 months...
For the record folks,Dave sent me the guts shots of the Korg and wording,however unlike Freedom's gut shot,the one Dave sent me didn't have Freedom's name pasted over it so I assumed that dave took the gut shots then sent it to me with the wording,I have not been on Metro for a while and didn't notice Freedom's post until last night,Thank you Dave for stating that you sent me the pics and wording,And thank you Freedom for posting the shots-I can give you credit for posting the gut shot but also that your original source for the wiring of your Korg gut shot is copied from my schematic of how to wire it and you state my schematic as the original source in your first post-I have no reason to steal anything or someone elses works and the fact is that you took my schematic then took a gut shot of your korg then accuse me of like as if I'm stealing your info and not giving credit when in fact the original source was from my schematic in the first place,so I will give you credit and metro but you can't just accuse me of copying when that is what you did with my schematic then complain here that I'm not giving you credit when in fact that i didn't know where dave got it. as far as emails go I have had problems with my emails and it is posted on my website and I got hundreds and hundreds of emails and things take time so it's not like I am intentionally not emailing you.Again freedom thank you for posting the korg guts shots and i am glad that you like my products,I just ask that you not try to make me look like a thief or bad person because i just didn't give you or any forum the credit from something that is copied from my schematic in the first place! You didn't come up with the wiring-you took my schematic from which you then took pictures of the korg and added wording then wanted me to give you all the credit-i will only give you credit for your wording and pic but I can also state that you took my schematic wiring and copied it.

K Randall

Post by K Randall » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:05 pm

Freedom wrote:
RACKDOCTOR wrote:I copied the post and sent it to Kevin to put on his website. Thought it would be helpful to others........didn't know that acknowledgment was needed.
Did you write it mate? Did Kevin write it?

Yes its just an info on the internet...still, since you found it on the internet it should be fair to just give the link of the source (the post metro or tgp) and thats because neither of you wrote it...
Freedom,I gave you credit,Thanks again for complimenting my pedals,Kevin
Last edited by K Randall on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K Randall

Post by K Randall » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:51 pm

Freedom-i just wanted you to know that I gave you credit on my website for the korg EXP II gut shot and wording and that you posted it on forums like here,i also stated that your original source for how to wire the Korg EXP II and wording came from my original Megavibe speedpedal wiring schematic-thank you,Kevin

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:05 am

Kevin, i have edited both the threads and added this:

"This "guide" is just a materialization of Kevin's schematic that comes with the Megavibe."

About everything else you wrote, i think i've already made my self clear with all the previous posts of mine and i wouldn't like to repeat myself again and again...

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:02 pm

At the recent Philly vintage show, I was at JH Fuzzface's stand, Ray Garza, he having the Ross compressor I was interested in, but passed on for $350..He had never heard of K.R. Megavibe interestingly enough..
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shakti
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Speed pedal for KR Megavibe???

Post by shakti » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:09 pm

Reviving this thread as I just wired a pedal for my Megavibe. I had an older Dunlop Uni-vibe speed pedal that I originally got for a Foxrox Captain Coconut 1st version. It had a dual 100k pot, not sure if that was originally in there for the Dunlop, as the speed pedal was supplied by Analog Man for use with the CC. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was originally wired by Analog Man for the CC similar to the wiring for the Mega, but I had changed the wiring to use it with a CC2 which I upgraded to at a later point. Now I put it back the specs posted in this thread, and it's doing a great job of controlling the speed.

However, I also don't get the full speed range, and seem to lose a little both in the slowest and fastest settings. It struck me that maybe this is because the actual pedal rocker travel does not allow me to use the full range of the point? The Dunlop shell is like a wah pedal, which made me think it's probably similar to a wah in that it has some adjustment range by setting it to another tooth gear inside to get more of either the beginning or end of the pot's travel. I haven't tried to adjust this yet, but will do. Just thought I'd mention it as a possible answer to this problem?
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:30 am

shakti wrote:However, I also don't get the full speed range, and seem to lose a little both in the slowest and fastest settings. It struck me that maybe this is because the actual pedal rocker travel does not allow me to use the full range of the point? The Dunlop shell is like a wah pedal, which made me think it's probably similar to a wah in that it has some adjustment range by setting it to another tooth gear inside to get more of either the beginning or end of the pot's travel. I haven't tried to adjust this yet, but will do. Just thought I'd mention it as a possible answer to this problem?
You can check if the prob is the actual rocker travel in your case ...all you have to do is to "free" the pot and try the max and min setting of the pot itself (so you don't use the rocker, just the full range of the pot)...

In my case it seems that the prob is the value of the pot and not the travel of the Korg...actually i bought a second one just to be 100% sure, so i modded it and gave me the same results...

I don't know if its relative but i was reading Fulltone's notes about his new Dejavibe2, i think he says somewhere that his vibe by using an 100K dual pot didin't give the full range so he used a 150K dual pot and problem solved...but as i said this may have nothing to do with my prob...

shakti

Post by shakti » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:47 am

Interesting info! I was going to try it with the tooth gear removed so I could move the pot by hand, but haven't had time. I think I was getting from about 3 to 9 on the speed dial with the current setting, which was fine for me except I wanted just a tiny bit more of the fastest setting.

If you decide to try the dual 150k pot, let us know how it works with the Megavibe!
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:58 am

shakti wrote:Interesting info! I was going to try it with the tooth gear removed so I could move the pot by hand, but haven't had time. I think I was getting from about 3 to 9 on the speed dial with the current setting, which was fine for me except I wanted just a tiny bit more of the fastest setting.
Yup, thats the spirit... ;)

If yours by moving the pot by hand can give you the whole range (min speed to 10) then its your Dunlop's rockler's travel...if not then both of us have to deal with the same issue...

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:11 am

[quote="FreedomI don't know if its relative but i was reading Fulltone's notes about his new Dejavibe2, i think he says somewhere that his vibe by using an 100K dual pot didin't give the full range so he used a 150K dual pot and problem solved...but as i said this may have nothing to do with my prob...[/quote]

Here's the link: http://www.fulltone.com/stpframe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Lastly, some have expressed concern about not having super-slow speeds being that "true bypass" is activated when the treadle is in full heel position...NOT TO WORRY, I found a way around the problem by I increasing the "value" of the dual speed pot from 100K to 150K and now there are slower speeds available than any other Univibe clone as well as the super fast speeds!"

Still i don't know how relative that is with my prob...

shakti

Post by shakti » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:22 pm

Well, I just tried it, and while I can get to the fastest setting with the dual 100k pot, I can't get it all the way down to the slowest speed. I'd say the range is something like 2 or 2.5 to 10. However, the pedal's rocker doesn't allow me to get slower than about 3.5 if I want it to all the way to 10 in the toe down position. That's slow enough for now, though.

What I did notice, or rather *think* I notice, is an ever-so-slight darkening or murkening of the tone when the speed pedal is attached. Almost like I lose a tiny, tiny bit of vibe intensity or rather clarity. I can't swear that I'm not imagining things though, as it's really subtle. I don't think it's impossible though, as the cable to the speed pedal is essentially inserted into the circuit, and that's a lot of wire compared to having short runs inside of the pedal. I had accidentally wired the pedal wrong at first, and I got an interesting effect; I could control the speed within a certain range, but it was ramping up and down, and in the heel down position, the intensity would gradually decrease until the effect cancelled out. So it seems that when you insert something into the speed jack, you insert something into the whole circuitry of the pedal. At the end of the day though, it's nothing to sweat. The KR Megavibe still reigns supreme in the vibe world for me!

heiwa

Post by heiwa » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:53 pm

hello

I would like to have the tutorial in picture for understand. the picture are no longer accessible on the site. :(

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:21 pm

This "guide" is just a materialization of Kevin's schematic that comes with the Megavibe.

(Korg EXP II)

I unscrewed and unsolder everything i didnt need...the only thing i didn't unsolder were the 3 wires of the stereo input, black, yellow and gray (white in the picture)...

I soldered:
1)the black wire from the #7 lug of the input lug to the #2 lug of the pot
2)another black wire from the #7 lug of the input lug to the #5 lug of the pot
3)the gray wire from the #8 lug of the input to the #3 lug of the pot
4)the yellow wire from the #9 lug of the input to the #6 of the pot

Here it is ready:

It was my decision to remove everything else that was not needed for this mod so its pretty empty now...

Works like a charm!!!

EDIT: ...the expression pedal does not give the full speed range of the MegaVibe, not in my case at least...it seems that the minimum speed setting when using this express pedal (korg connected, heel down) is as the megavibe has the speed set at 4.5...the maximum speed with the Korg connected (toe down) is pretty fast though, can't even count...

:toast:

heiwa

Post by heiwa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:28 pm

thank you very much . Freedom