EP-3 Echoplex preamp circuit in pedal UPDATE/CLIPS!

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

spaceace76
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: EP-3 Echoplex preamp circuit in pedal UPDATE/CLIPS!

Post by spaceace76 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:03 pm

bmf5150 wrote:i dont know whats up with peter,but im getting tired of waiting..
he's had some health trouble in the past, i hope he's doing alright

Herec

Post by Herec » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:22 pm

He's always been prompt with updates for me in the past if he was able, still waiting though. Hope everything is alright!

Toad

Post by Toad » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:09 pm

Just curious. Has anyone taken there EP-3 apart to see what it looks like inside? Lets see some pictures. Todd

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:02 am

Toad wrote:Just curious. Has anyone taken there EP-3 apart to see what it looks like inside? Lets see some pictures. Todd
Just spoke to Peter, he wont be doing anything till early 2010. Im sure the list is pretty long so he's saying he will contact people when there is one available.
12000 Metro Kit

Tone-Freak

Post by Tone-Freak » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:36 pm

thks i will be waiting for mine :D

dazzlindino

Post by dazzlindino » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:33 pm

the ep-3 pedal by clinch is most f'n awesome......it does add to your tone.....makes it thicker in a most musical way.......
Thanks to Peter I have 2!!!!...........yeah! :D
I want my music waking up the dead...
Dont tell me to turn it down

if its not loud enough you must be really old...huh,what,what did you play?

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:59 pm

It seems these are not the easiest pedals to get...shame... I'd love to get one. I wish Peter a healthy return. Lot of positive feedback on this pedal. I'd love to try it.
Walter

"There's no great thing in being a soloist. I think the hardest thing is to play together with a lot of people, and do it right." - Angus Young, 1984

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:46 pm

I have a few of questions.

1. Does the tone everyone descibes about the original EP-3 happen when the delay is on, off or both?

2. Does the EP-2 have the same boost circuit? I like what mine does to my tone but I usually keep the echo quite low, just enough to add some ambience, like adding a touch of reverb.

3. If the EP-2 is different, has Pete experimented with it? I know EP-2's have tubes but are the tubes in the boost portion of the circuit.

The clips sound good, similar to what my EP-2 does for me. When I kick up the volume for a lead the EP-2 adds some gain and high end sizzle or presence to my tone. I have never noticed if this gain/sizzle happens when I have the delay switched off. That's why I asked the first question. In other words, does the delay have to be on to hear the effect with my EP-2 or any original EP-3?

I'm very interested in getting one of these pedals, but frankly, I'm concerned with ordering from a small builders like this. I've read this complete thread and there seems to be a few anxious people waiting for product and some on going health issues with the builder.

I inquired not to long ago about another former forum member's boutique business, glad circumstance interfered with placing an order there. Can someone help build my confidence?
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:01 pm

Unfortunately effects building is not Peter's full time venture so future orders are at his discretion of how many and when. On the plus side I use use mine in conjunction with my EP-3 echoplex and I have been more than satisfied with the tone effects as compared to my actual EP-3 since receiving mine back in 2008.

The EP-2 circuit is tube driven and not by a JFET like the Solid State EP-3 version that is the main difference. Peter Clinch EP-PRE's occasionaly show up for sale on The Gear Page if you cannot wait for Peter's production run.

The only alternative is the Exotic EP-Booster, but it seems it is more of a boost and I seems a little murky as to how exact the pedal is to the actual EP-3 circuit. People seem to be happy with them so far.

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:56 am

The forumthatshallnotbenamed reversed the Xotic EP-booster, and it's not really much like the EP-3, or for that matter the EP-Pre. There are some value differences, but it does use an equivalent, i think 2N5457, for the original TIS58 that was in the EP-3, which is probably what Peter uses, as it's about the closest thing available today. The biggest difference in the Xotic is that the circuit doesn't run on 18v. The EP-Pre achieves this internally with the use of a charge pump, and is closer to what the preamp section of the EP-3 would be running off of.

So yes, it's worth the wait for Peter's version if you've got the patience. If you don't, the circuit and charge pump aren't that hard to build!

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:52 am

spaceace76 wrote:So yes, it's worth the wait for Peter's version if you've got the patience. If you don't, the circuit and charge pump aren't that hard to build!
Does a layout exist? I'm not good a deciphering schematics. :oops:
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:23 pm

Mars Hall wrote:
spaceace76 wrote:So yes, it's worth the wait for Peter's version if you've got the patience. If you don't, the circuit and charge pump aren't that hard to build!
Does a layout exist? I'm not good a deciphering schematics. :oops:
Pre amp is in blue. Cant remember who posted this first?

The Xotic version also runs on 18v as well as 9v. They made some changes in order to add bass and treble boost switches inside that you can adjust to your like. It sounds really good IMO. I have not tried the Clinch yet, but have ordered one. There will be an A/B comparison.
12000 Metro Kit

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Scroll down to Delay(tape). Every version is there.

http://www.schematicheaven.com/effects.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
12000 Metro Kit

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:46 pm

PM'd him some info, hope it pointed him in the right direction.

And I believe Good Guest first posted that picture.

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:04 am

spaceace76 wrote:PM'd him some info, hope it pointed him in the right direction.

And I believe Good Guest first posted that picture.
Thanks for the PM spaceace. There really is not a lot to the circuit. Looks like it could be a nice winter project once I get my bench cleared of a couple things. Funny thing is, I had an EP-3 that didn't work years ago. Wish I knew then what I know now. :lol: