Dead MXR Carbon Copy

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

neikeel

Dead MXR Carbon Copy

Post by neikeel » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:43 am

I prefer analogue delay and wanted to replace the Boss DD3 I usually use, my children bought me an MXR Carbon copy (at my request :wink: ) for Christmas.

I was using it in rehearsal last week and it died, first just the modulation light would come on but no sound and now the whole unit is duff!

Unfortunately as it came for Christmas I have no receipt and did not send the Marketing Research (oops I mean warranty card) off.

Anyone know why these die like this?

I will contact the Dunlop Service people in the UK as it is like new with box and stuff to see if thay can fix it but may just have to stay with my DD3 and put it down to experience. My Dunlop Crybaby on the other hand is 25years old and still going strong although on its 2nd pot 8)
Neil

spaceace76
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Dead MXR Carbon Copy

Post by spaceace76 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:56 am

Assuming you double checked the battery/power supply, it could really be anything from a bad solder joint to a dead component. If Dunlop can't help you post some photos and hopefully someone here will be able to help find the issue.

F#m7

Post by F#m7 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:20 pm

Mine screwed up the first week and had to be sent off for repair. Been fine for months now. Good luck.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:48 am

Thanks

Sounds my email to the vendor has come off. He will replace it FOC under warranty without chasing Dunlop.

Will see if new one is any good :wink:
Neil

RussB

Post by RussB » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:21 pm

I just bought one last week...and promptly returned it. The switch was crackling and humming right out of the box :?

I bought a Digitech Hardwire DL-8 instead. It has several modes. I like it!

Aquila Rosso

Post by Aquila Rosso » Wed May 20, 2009 7:53 pm

I was about to pull the trigger and order a carbon copy on the merits of the PSG demos.
To my ear it is a really nice short analog delay.
This thread has got me thinking twice about it.

What really peevs me is that I can get one from the USA for $140-150 USD plus shipping, yet here in New Zealand the shops ask for $230-250USD. We get ripped off here.
The RRP on a Gibson Les Paul Standard is now $5499.00 NZD ($3335USD+), Gibson Les Paul Custom is $7649.00 NZD ($4650.00 USD). Sole Distros with brand monopolies.
Most Kiwis are getting really sick of it and either buying used or ordering from the USA.
Ok, that is what we call a "bleat" in NZ. (moaning about stuff)

I like the Carbon Copy so much, that I will probally still get it unless I read of more failures here in the next few days.
Gibson LP Classic/Fender USA Strat Std/GMW Rhoads/ZW Wah/MXR ZW OD/SCOD/TS808 clone/Dist+/MXR 10 band/Smallstone/DSL100/1960a/PDI-03/GX-700

mwm523

Post by mwm523 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:02 pm

I've been stomping on my V1 Carbon Copy for about a year and a half now and have had no problems.
-Mike

pearlrider
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by pearlrider » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:37 pm

I know this is a little late to this thread, but my Carbon Copy went down as well. 13 months after I bought it. It just stopped working. The light comes on, but no sound go,s through. The sound only will go trough on bypass.

Of course it would go down 1 month after the end of the warranty.

Before it died it wasn’t sounding so good any way. It had a high pitched whistle. It could be heard on my recordings. The noise was there on the returns. A bright whistling sound, slight but there.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Shame about yours dying.

I really like mine, I set it up for a natural rockabilly slap back for those sort of songs and my DD3 for more extreme delays so I don't have to fiddle with settings during a gig.

Hope you get yours fixed!
Neil

PlexiMan

Post by PlexiMan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:28 pm

I would contact Dunlop. Mine did the same thing and was also out of warranty. They gave me a return authorization number and told me to send in for repairs. No coat other than shipping charges. Actually the service was nice considering today's day and age. Pleasantly surprised. It was done promptly and haven't had an issue since. I have gigged quite a bit more than before it went down as well. i like the pedal alot

pearlrider
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by pearlrider » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:38 am

PlexiMan wrote:I would contact Dunlop. Mine did the same thing and was also out of warranty. They gave me a return authorization number and told me to send in for repairs. No coat other than shipping charges. Actually the service was nice considering today's day and age. Pleasantly surprised. It was done promptly and haven't had an issue since. I have gigged quite a bit more than before it went down as well. i like the pedal alot
That's good. I'll give that a go.
I did like my CC, when it was working. If I can't get it fixed I'll get another.

stratonenator

Post by stratonenator » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:44 am

Try changing the mix pot, mine crapped out and I swapped in a new one. It hasn't had any problems since.
So you think your Mesa-Boogie is cool? You won't even be able to hear it over my Marshall Superlead