Faustine Phantom attenuator.. Pete Thorn demo video

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

sinasl1

Re: Faustine Phantom attenuator.. Pete Thorn demo video

Post by sinasl1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:54 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:Dave's "MARSHA" sounds really good to me. Kinda wish someone would do a vid comparing the top 5 or so attenuators side by side. Its really tough to tell if one really has a sound advantage over the other. Some have some different features but is the sound quality really that much better in one? I've used a Hotplate for 2 years now and it works and sounds great to me. Just would be nice to know if all the extra cash is really giving you that much more.

back in 06 I did a similar comparo (just audio), with an airbrake and a Hotplate. You can download it here:

http://files.me.com/petethorn/f4q9v9.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

same deal, volume matched the clips. first the Airbrake with FTR37, Emplexador, and Concorde, then the Hotplate with the same amps (Hotplate starts at 3:30. Try and listen carefully on nice monitors/headphones. Hope this helps you decide. IMHO the Faustine is the best.

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:08 pm

sinasl1 wrote:
vanhalen5150 wrote:Dave's "MARSHA" sounds really good to me. Kinda wish someone would do a vid comparing the top 5 or so attenuators side by side. Its really tough to tell if one really has a sound advantage over the other. Some have some different features but is the sound quality really that much better in one? I've used a Hotplate for 2 years now and it works and sounds great to me. Just would be nice to know if all the extra cash is really giving you that much more.
back in 06 I did a similar comparo (just audio), with an airbrake and a Hotplate. You can download it here:

http://files.me.com/petethorn/f4q9v9.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

same deal, volume matched the clips. first the Airbrake with FTR37, Emplexador, and Concorde, then the Hotplate with the same amps (Hotplate starts at 3:30. Try and listen carefully on nice monitors/headphones. Hope this helps you decide. IMHO the Faustine is the best.
Thanks Pete, that will help. Keep doing this stuff. It helps us lot!
12000 Metro Kit

Structo

Post by Structo » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:17 pm

Man, I just wish these attenuators didn't cost as much as a guitar or amp themselves! :shock:

I know, I'm cheap! :mrgreen:

I wasn't until just a few years ago I actually started using good speakers....... :lol:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!

redlir

Post by redlir » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:33 pm

*drool* I put myself on the waiting list for production run 3... I wonder how long that will be.. I can't wait for one of these!

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:18 am

An old thread, but Pete's demos are still among the best i've heard of the Phantom. I'm looking into attenuators once again and am thinking about the Phantom. But, honestly, i do hear the phantom clearly affecting the tone of all the amps it was used on, even on the -2 db setting. For some reason i didn't hear it the effect that clearly on the Marsha amp, but with all others something changes about the tone a bit. I suppose none of the attenuators is 100% transparent (this would somehow go against laws of physics i guess).
I suppose it's either motherload elemental or, if i get crazy about it, the aracom or phantom. The prices on the latter 2 are huge, but i guess they might be justified. Am trying to find some good comparison clips.

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:32 am

I think i hear in the clips that even at -2 some of the top end is taken away, giving a softer sound - it just takes the edge off. Might be a good/bad thing depending on what you are after.

toner

Post by toner » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:07 pm

VintageCharlie wrote:I suppose it's either motherload elemental or, if i get crazy about it, the aracom or phantom. The prices on the latter 2 are huge, but i guess they might be justified.
Or get Alex's attenuator for much less $$$ if you don't need foot-switchable levels. I use one regularly and it sounds excellent. I also use a master volume (PPIMV in one amp and a normal 2203 MV) so I don't use a lot of attenuation (-12dB max). I think ANY attenuator will color the tone/feel of a cranked non-master 50 or 100w to some degree. I also use mine with an 18w Block Head without an MV and it works great there too.

I haven't tried the high priced ones you mentioned but I can't imagine any attenuator being much better. It may cut a little treble (that's not bad with a Marshall, IMO) but it doesn't squash the amp dynamics like some (Hot Plate, Power Brake, etc.).

redgtr
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by redgtr » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:13 pm

I just have to say I am very happy with mine.

AJW

Post by AJW » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:54 pm

I just got an Alex's attenuator yesterday, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I can't compare it to the Faustine, Aracom, UA, etc. since I have no experience with those. I can say it is much better sounding than my THD Hotplate for sure. I'm very pleased.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:05 pm

AJW wrote:I just got an Alex's attenuator yesterday, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I can't compare it to the Faustine, Aracom, UA, etc. since I have no experience with those. I can say it is much better sounding than my THD Hotplate for sure. I'm very pleased.
Good to know, I'm thinking about an Aracom and ditching the Hotplate myself. But the $$$$$.... :scratch:
12000 Metro Kit

paulster

Post by paulster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:20 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:
AJW wrote:I just got an Alex's attenuator yesterday, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I can't compare it to the Faustine, Aracom, UA, etc. since I have no experience with those. I can say it is much better sounding than my THD Hotplate for sure. I'm very pleased.
Good to know, I'm thinking about an Aracom and ditching the Hotplate myself. But the $$$$$.... :scratch:
They are expensive, that can't be denied, but they open up completely new realms of flexibility to your non-MV amps, so you should really weigh it in that context.

I thought the Phantom was massively expensive when I bought mine a couple of years ago, but I've had so much use out of it that I'm seriously considering a second so I can use a multi-amp rig when I'm trying things out without having to constantly re-patch.

AJW

Post by AJW » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:19 pm

I would own a Faustine Phantom, but for the wait list. I was willing to pay the price. The Alex was cheaper than the deposit on a Phantom, and I had it in a couple days.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:44 pm

I scored a Weber Mass 100 a few weeks ago off of Craigslist. I like it so far. Much better than the HotPlate. Also much better than the L-Pad attenuator I built. Anyone compare the Webers to the Faustine or Alex or the UA?
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Darden

Post by Darden » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:49 am

I've had all of those in-house for direct comparisons, and the Alex's Attenuator is as good as it gets.

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:04 pm

+1 for Alex. :thumbsup:

As Charlie Sheen would say, "Winning Attenuation".

Big Time Tone and Interactive Dynamics Retainment Unit. 8)
dave