Audio Connectors

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Audio Connectors

Post by JimiJames » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:11 am

What do you guys use for ¼" TS phono unbalanced ?
What's the best or best quality. Looking for a tight fit/solid connection for a male-female.
I use Switchcraft but, what's better ? Nuetrik ?
The Switchcraft model shown below is the one I'm using but, I don't like "the fit"
The "tip' terminal is long and I've taken notice that it fatigues over time/usage and doesn't "clamp-on" as good as it was new.
Maybe their other "bullet" style they have is better but, at this point I'm up for Top-of-the-line.

The purpose is I want to make another "Y" cable so it needs to accept 2-¼" cables.

Also looking to buy a few (Top-of-the-line) threaded panel jacks for my pedalboard.
I think if I can't find a decent threaded jack I'll re-design and go with a locking Nuetrik type.
If so, will I have to change out my plugs ?
Depending on brands tips take on different shapes so I realize that it would be best to go with m/f of the same brand...
...but, if I don't have to, cool.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Audio Connectors

Post by 908ssp » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:15 am

My experience is the pin jacks the bottom one in your post above are complete junk. One wrong pull on the cord and they lose contact. The contacts inside are tiny and are near impossible to tighten back up. The Switchcraft at least is easy to fix in the field and seem to last much longer. I like the plastic jacks we see in chassis builds but for cable ends I only have experience with the Switchcraft.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:15 am

Thanks Alex. yea, I know... they're shitty for my application and yes, those cliff jacks are nice for their application. Feels good and seat well in an amp when you plug in...That's what I'm looking for as I previously mentioned. Yea those threaded jacks are touchy. That's why I'm cosidering a Nuetrik lock type.

Here's where they're goin' :
Sounds like you're describing the Hosa brand that's fairly decent but, yes, looking for the female ¼" barrel type in metal.
My main quest...

Hey ! These look awesome ! I must investigate ! :scratch:
ImageImage
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

908ssp
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 908ssp » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:30 am

Cut a larger hole in your wood back panel and put an aluminum plate with standard panel mount jacks then you don't have to find anything special. I don't have a picture of what I am talking about because I make my pedals boards from aluminum. But in the picture below the metal jack is the input for the guitar and the plastic one next to it is an output for a piezo amp.