dunlop jimi hendrix fuzzface

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

pancri
Just the numbers in order: 7

dunlop jimi hendrix fuzzface

Post by pancri » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:53 am

hi, is there someone who have the blue fuzzface by dunlop?
i have few questions,somebody knows why when i turn down the fuzz knob fuzzface sound really "dark" and it has too much bass frequency?
when i use the wha whit the fuzz and the fuzz knob is at 10 the fuzz sounds good,but when i turn down the fuzz and i turn on the wha there's a very big volume increase ?

AJW
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: dunlop jimi hendrix fuzzface

Post by AJW » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:56 pm

The Fuzz Face has always had impedance problems when used with a Wah. The MXR M-173 Classic 108 Fuzz has a buffer just for that reason.

Tone seaker

Post by Tone seaker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:59 am

AJW wrote:The Fuzz Face has always had impedance problems when used with a Wah. The MXR M-173 Classic 108 Fuzz has a buffer just for that reason.
It worked great for Hendrix :jimi:

pancri

Post by pancri » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:50 am

and how hendrix could play with wha and fuzz?

AJW

Post by AJW » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:13 am

Jimi could play through anything and sound good! I own the blue fuzzface in question, and I use it with a Teese RMC wah through a 45/100 I built. You can still get an awesome sound through it, especially if you are Jimi Hendrix :jimi: , but I'm sure he struggled with the impedance problem too. If not manufacturers wouldn't offer fuzz and wah pedals with buffers (and buffer mods). Here's an example: http://www.analogman.com/foxwah.htm

BAinFL

Post by BAinFL » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Yeah lol I laughed when I saw a dunlop package insert that said to use the fuzz face in front of the CB :palm:

From what I understand Hendrix fuzz was modded to include a buffer circuit so the wah could be used in front. Not sure what exactly is involved, but I'm sure a schematic can be found on the internet someplace. I'm guessing none of the current Dunlop fuzz series include this feature.

As far as the red reissue fuzz face by itself goes...I couldn't dial in a sound I liked with my SG - too muddy, but holy crap yes...with a strat and a good amp...really really nice tones. I might look at some mods for the pedal when I have time later this summer. But for right now it's collecting dust. My liquid lead deluxe (w/ '73 boost) from Lumpy's Tone Shop is giving me every sound I need for my SG.
79 Tokai Les Paul Reborn
68 12000
Bray 4550
Scumback M75 PVC 20w 4x12
Scumback BM75 LD 65w 4x12
Celestion G12M-65 Cream 2x12
1960A RR w/ Altec 417-8H

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Tue May 01, 2012 6:10 pm

for your SG, look perhaps for the joe bonamassa fuzz. it's nice with humbuckers too, and it's a nice fuzz.
i ordered the blue fuzz two days ago, mainly because of the enclosure lol. but it doesn't sound bad anyway, from the clips i heard. i'll maybe tweak it though.

you need to work directly on your wah, not necessarly on the fuzz.
it's impossible to play especially a germanium fuzz with a wah in front of it, unless you mod the wah. But some sources talk about some specific gfermanium fuzz that can work wioth a wah ... almost by chance, not a constant thing.
Jimi either had his wah modded by RM ( and yes, i think he did it, or mentioned it ) , or he had some chance with a choice of the right fuzz to go with a wah.
also, remember : jimi's wah, a vox 846 or mc coy or king wah .... not the same as modern wahs ..... not aggressive like the modern 847 etc . and more musical.

for the basse, when the fuzz knob is turned down, you may need to change some values on the fuzz, that's all. perhaps use a 100k vol pot instead of a 500k, and it'll have a bit less basse. brighter, ( basically, eric johnson's mod ).

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:34 am

So what sort of thing would you do to the Wah? I've got a germanium Analog man Sun Lion fuzz and a BBE wah and as you said they just dont work together. I've got a Coloursound wah but I baught the BBE 'cos it's non buffered on Analog Man's advice since they said the germanium fuzz dosen't work as well with buffered pedals but these two don't work together at all. I'd love to be able to use them together but don't know how to fix it.

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:18 am

adding an output buffer to the wah ?
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/mccoy.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:10 am

Cheers Xplorer, very helpfull. :thumbsup:

yladrd61

Post by yladrd61 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:46 pm

BAinFL wrote:Yeah lol I laughed when I saw a dunlop package insert that said to use the fuzz face in front of the CB :palm:

From what I understand Hendrix fuzz was modded to include a buffer circuit so the wah could be used in front. Not sure what exactly is involved, but I'm sure a schematic can be found on the internet someplace. I'm guessing none of the current Dunlop fuzz series include this feature.

As far as the red reissue fuzz face by itself goes...I couldn't dial in a sound I liked with my SG - too muddy, but holy crap yes...with a strat and a good amp...really really nice tones. I might look at some mods for the pedal when I have time later this summer. But for right now it's collecting dust. My liquid lead deluxe (w/ '73 boost) from Lumpy's Tone Shop is giving me every sound I need for my SG.
Jimi didn't have any buffers on his wah or fuzz faces, a friend who has the Hendrix sound totally nailed, showed me a tip kick the Wah on full toe down and turn the fuzz control down until it stops squealing. He has a real non bypass wah, a real 69 fuzz face and a real '69 univibe and he sounds just like Jimi

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:39 am

Oh that's why .. ! Have to try it, can't believe i didn't, or maybe it didn't work.

KevinC

Post by KevinC » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:45 pm

fuzzfaces are awesome pedals but they generally have a few problems. #1 they are too bassy, I mean sometimes you want that but usually you don't. #2 the ones that sound good have super rare pnp germanium transistors only available in places like Bulgaria. #3 they sound awesome with a wah pedal on Hendrix albums, but none you buy workright with a wah pedal. #4 wah pedal buffers don't sound right either. #5 they usually don't have enough fuzz, #6 they don't have enough gain. #7 the fuzz face is meant to be used with your guitars volume knob constantly fiddled with. between 2-9. on two or round abouts it should sound exactly like castles made of sand, little wing etc.. hell I play stairway to heaven through my fuzz face on 2.
on 9 it should sound like purple haze, fire, foxy lady etc. if not your fuzz face is a piece of shit. which is almost all of them. #8 it should work with a wah pedal infront of it, Hendrix's did, and you couldn't buy jfet transistors and other buffer circuits
in 1966! #9HINT: look im trying to make money off of my fuzz face mods or id just tell you the 3 simple things you do to fix all of these problems. I spent like 2 months trying to make the perfect fuzzface. :bang: :arrow: :jimi:

Xplorer

Post by Xplorer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:05 am

that's totaly right.
in some cases where the fuzz doesn't work with the wah in front of it, i'm putting an input bias on the fuzz.
the axis fuzz works right with a wah in front of it.
i love to get all the shades of tones you're describing, with castle made of sand, little wing etc ... playing a lot with the strat volume and tone controls. and you don't want to have your amp at max volume for these ...
with my rangemaster clone i can get some great tones too, still hendrixy , but i play with the tone control from 0 to 1 - 2 max . great great tones. fantastic for such tones like red house, and i suppose he might have used it, but an early marshall alone can get there too.

Haze13

Post by Haze13 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:52 am

If you need a buffer, use high quality "unity-gain stable" IC with symmetrical power supply and DC connection. ICL7660 makes negative 9 volts from a regular 9v (battery or adapter). Good filtration, couple of 470uf on power supply line, 0,1uf for decoupling... 1k-10k in the front of the IC, 220ohm-470ohm on the output, and no caps in signal line. It is the most transparent buffer that you can get, does not effect the tone and works like a charm. DC offset will be much less than 1 millivolt and will be blocked by the input cap of the fuzz.