Maxon OD808

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

AJW
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Maxon OD808

Post by AJW » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm

So my wife bought me a Maxon OD808 for Christmas. She and I use the same Amazon account and she saw that I had it in my wish list (I just updated that!). I had been using an Xotic AC booster and a MXR Custom Badass Modified Overdrive prior to that, and didn't think I needed to experiment with other ODs. I've been playing since '84, but I'm relatively new to using OD pedals. I've been enjoying them lately. That is since I built a 45/100 that I fear to modify with another gain stage. I have to say that I love the way the Maxon sounds!

Especially when using the Kinman stacked humbucking strat style pickups. I was actually going to try a different set of those, but since I started using the OD808 the lower strings sound much clearer in a great way. It sounds more transparent than the other two overdrive pedals I have. Less grainy, gritty, or flabby. Much smoother and more clear on the bass side.

The MXR sounds great for metal (gritty and punchy), and the Xotic AC booster is great in it's own way as well (fatter maybe). I think the Maxon is my go to pedal though. I am so happy with how my combination is working right now (guitar, OD808, 45/100 at around 7, Alex attenuator, Marshall HW B cabinet).

Tone Slinger

Re: Maxon OD808

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:15 pm

I really want a Maxon OD 808. EVERY time I drive my son to school it seems to be 8:08 :D . I hear that the Maxon 808 is BETTER than the Ibanez 808.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)