Clinch EP-PRE .022 bypass cap removal update

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

harddriver

Clinch EP-PRE .022 bypass cap removal update

Post by harddriver » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:12 pm

Hey guys it's been quite a while since the last posting about the earlier brighter and darker evolutions of the EP3 echoplex. I have two of Peter's original EP-PRE's from the very first run of pedals #2 and #32. He had since improved and added a switch to switch in the .022 bypass cap on the 3.3K or switch it out.

I have a later model EP3 echoplex and I wanted to get that darker growl that it has by comparison. I wasn't too good at the SMD component removal(meaning I buggered one up) so I sent both pedals to Peter to the land of OZ and he reworked both pedals to have the switching ability that all his new pedals have.

I finally got around to plugging them in and wow the darker tone of switching the .022uf bypass cap out is pretty much in line with what I hear with my actual EP3. It changes the low mid frequency attack compared to the brighter selection. I can see why if you have a darker tone the brighter selection would be the way to go but for me when running in front of my bright 12 series Metro and my bright 72 Superlead I definitely prefer the darker later EP3 tone it gives my amp alot more low mid growl that I have when I dig my Echoplex out from storage now and then to keep the caps charged up.

Anyway I want to thank Peter for retrofitting my pedals to current spec I love the ability to swap between specs, the darker tone is definitely for me! :hairband: