Ernie Isley ('That Lady' tone)

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone Slinger

Ernie Isley ('That Lady' tone)

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:14 am

I ran across this on Youtube.It's as close as I've heard, but,maybe not what Ernie used. I think the Big Muff and wha are what ernie used, but the rotovibe is substituting a certain Maestro phase tone I believe. Regardless, this guy nails it.
http://youtu.be/f9DlmZrVTx8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Ernie Isley ('That Lady' tone)

Post by garbeaj » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:54 pm

I saw this clip before too and he does get pretty close. I know he was using some custom Roger Mayer effects, but I'm not sure what exactly was used on the record. I got pretty close using the Roland Jet-Phaser setting on my old Line 6 Distortion Modeller...

This guy is using a reissue Big Muff, a Rotovibe (which is a clone of the Uni-Vibe) and a cocked wah.

Interestingly I have an original early 70s triangle knob Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi and an original Shin-Ei Uni-Vibe plus a late 60s/early 70s Vox wah...I don't remember getting a "That Lady" tone with those effects together, but I could try it and see how it comes out. I don't have an Octavia, but I think he only used it briefly towards them end of the tune. I'll go back and listen to the full-length "That Lady Parts 1 & 2" track and see when I hear the Octavia.

There are so many cool Isley tunes with great guitar parts, and of course the incomparable lead singing of Ron and the great harmony backing vocals...just great songs! The way the keyboards mix with the guitar to form this one great sound on "Footsteps In The Dark" is really killer...same kind of keyboard guitar/interplay on "Groove With You".

I think the easiest tone to capture is on their version of "Summer Breeze"...it is the "other" really long guitar solo driven Isley recording and as far as I know it is just straight Fuzzface or Big Muff-nothing too esoteric.
Last edited by garbeaj on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:15 pm

So true, I love those guy's, just wished they would have rocked out a bit more, but I'm happy with what we got :rock:

I can get decently close with my jet phaser, but not as close as that guy. I also used to have a boss flanger that I could get 'nose bleed seats' close with. I've always wanted a Rotovibe,so I think it might be a future prospect. I like how it can do a 'cleaner less thick/colored' uni-vibe thing. Close enough,but maybe a bit more clarity. Also, 1 to 2 hundred bucks cheaper than actual uni-vibe clones :thumbsup: . The Big Muff is also a pedal that gets great results with single coils,I remember liking a Muff better than a fuzz face.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:46 pm

That's right...I completely forgot that you have an actual Roland Jet Phaser! I think the Rotovibe is a good cost effective Uni-Vibe clone. My original Uni-Vibe sounds great, but it does suck some signal and volume-same problem that Jimi and Robin Trower had, but it didn't matter because they played through maxed out 100 W Marshalls.

I'm a huge Isley fan...saw the modern version (just Ron & Ernie) twice live and they were great. I love the R. Kelly collaboration "Contagious"...R. Kelly may be a child molester, but he can write a hit song for sure..,

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:46 pm

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-705.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AND

http://www.kitrae.net/music/Fuzz_Big_Muff_Timeline.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (1973)

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:10 pm

Cool stuff there :thumbsup:

The Isley's were all musical dudes,capable of handling one of the others roles if needed.Ernie played drums in the studio, etc.

Here he is in 2009 handling the vocals (probably can 'sing' better than his brother can 'play' the guitar :D )

http://youtu.be/TKsBEg9pp1o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Most of the info in the "Jimmy Page 1968-1969" segment discussing the Solasound Professional MKII Tonebender and Gary Hurst and Roger Mayer comes directly from posts I made on the D*A*M forum a few years ago about my research on Jimmy's Yardbirds/Zeppelin I MKII Tonebender...it would be nice to get some credit! But at least I got some good information out there for everyone:)