Bridge Pickups in a Gibson SG Standard

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Lefty Lou
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Bridge Pickups in a Gibson SG Standard

Post by Lefty Lou » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:23 pm

I was reading up on Gary Moore researching speakers for Yngwie308, when I found that Gary (at least from 98' to 03') was using Marshall DSL 100s. I know Gary used humbuckers with A2's in them such as the first Gibson BB's but, it is pretty evident in his later sound that his pickups were A5 whether he was using Gibson, Tom Holmes, Bare Knuckles, or Hamer DiMarzio's not counting the PJ Marx or EMG 81 actives. Gary liked a 4 x 12 cab with Celestion Century speakers and a 4 x 12 cab with Celestion Vintage 30s with his DSL 100 live and the same setup when recording with the exception of a 4 x 12 cab with Celestion G12-75Ts in place of the Vintage 30 cab. Supposedly, the 75 watt loaded cabinet was considered his "Most Essential" cab according to Graham Lilley. Gary claimed the reason he liked the DSL 100 is because it could give him a modern Marshall sound, as well as vintage Marshall tones.

I don't think you'll have any problems with your BB3s personally. The 3 in BB3 denotes a hotter wound bridge with A2s right?

maltone

Post by maltone » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:54 am

Yes Lou, at least everything I could find out says it's basically a hotter more biting version of 57 classic + which I like, but always found it to be too soft, and spongy. But when the amp is turned up, classic gain setting on a Marshall, it had that snarly upper mid Peee-owng thing that to me is so classic rock. I get the impression that the bb3 has more cut, more upper mid bite, but we'll see.

Someone from Gibson - on the Gibson forum said that if a bb3's A2 is replaced with an A5, then you basically end up with a BB Pro - only with mismatched coils.

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:06 pm

maltone wrote:Yes Lou, at least everything I could find out says it's basically a hotter more biting version of 57 classic + which I like, but always found it to be too soft, and spongy. But when the amp is turned up, classic gain setting on a Marshall, it had that snarly upper mid Peee-owng thing that to me is so classic rock. I get the impression that the bb3 has more cut, more upper mid bite, but we'll see.

Someone from Gibson - on the Gibson forum said that if a bb3's A2 is replaced with an A5, then you basically end up with a BB Pro - only with mismatched coils.
Whether you leave the A2 magnet in, or swap it out with an A5, you should be set.

maltone

Lou, RE: BurstBucker 3 verdict.

Post by maltone » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Lou, I put the BB3 in the SG tonight. The verdict is a resounding awesome.

It's got a lot more output than I thought it would. It has all this upper mid bite, lots of mids, has some thickness and punch, and yet it seems clear. The low end is tight, punchy, crisp.

Gibson definitely got it right with this one. This is a keeper for sure.