Building an RM Axis Fuzz

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mathd

Re: Building an RM Axis Fuzz

Post by mathd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:09 pm

If you need help making pcb, am pretty new to it but i did a bunch yet(axis, ff, neovibe, valve preamp+PS). so maby i can try to help you :).

I also started making solder mask :O. (pcb making is easy, so long your not making solder mask loll)
and yes i did solder the 12ax7 directly to the pcb :O, am too poor to afford socket.. :(
http://www.mediafire.com/view/rjq05djdt ... N1672p.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/view/12y49e7su ... N1671p.jpg
Mathieu

mathd

Post by mathd » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Am curious, are you going to try and mod this pedal?
Am asking because, its the only pedal i did not try to mod, so am curious to see what can be done :0.
Mathieu

mathd

Post by mathd » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:56 pm

OMG, i just did something.
I was looking at the octavia schematic.. and thinking the axis is too bright on the lower fuzz setting and on the higer fuzz setting the high get too fuzzy..
I removed the 0.1u on the drive pot... WOW,, just WOW. i mean that creamy tone and punchy mids and glassy highs.. right into woodstock territory and with the univibe am feeling it will get close to BOG too.

While am talking about the neovibe/univibe.. i leave it on all the time, just use the cancel switch so it color the sound, and with the axis and the wah.. it will get really interesting :). Can't wait to have more time to play.
Mathieu

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Xplorer » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:37 pm

hi mathieu ! i'm sorry, i didn't see your message here, didn't get noticed about it.

well, what is this pcb with a 12ax7 on it ? sounds cool.

i didn't mod the axis fuzz, but i'm using it all the time. the bright tone well ... i think it dépends of the amp you're using. with a 45/100 it's going very well.

removing the 0,1 uf on the drive pot ? better fuzz then ? hm, i could perhaps give a try . really ? creamy etc ?

i don't know if the neovibe features an offset bias mod, but really, it's a must ....
you can find it on the forum vibe.

mathd

Post by mathd » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:36 am

the pcb with the 12ax7 is a preamp, i use it to change customer line level to pro line level for my console. Also for the coolness of a valve preamp :P. (but its doing mono only right now, i ran out of parts.) its using a smps at 150khz-250volt.
I did mod the power supply(for better stability and ripple rejection and lower startup current), with the use of my oscilloscope and its working really good.
here is the page of the stock circuit, if you want to build it i can take a look and tell you what mod i did.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/12AX7_Preamp/

Well, short story on the axis, neovibe. why i got there.
I moved my neovibe to another better pcb.. after this i could not crank my axis fuzz drive, it was sounding horrible... :/
So i set the axis fuzz drive to a lower setting so it work with the neovibe, now it was too bright.. so i removed the 0.1 uf on the drive pot and i can tell its worth a try.
Then (beacuse i like experiencing), i reduced the amp volume setting from 8-9 to 4-5(where my amp start to breakup), and i added a fuzzface after the neovibe(yes thats 2 fuzz in the signal chain), ff that i build with some mod using some low hfe silicon transitor i got out from an old radio. This one set to almost max fuzz, and i set the overall fuzz setting with the axis drive. both are set for a very little volume boost.

The neovibe was still sounding bad(neovibe do not have the bias offset mod, but i did play with the bias a little).. was still sounding bad with fuzz... so i removed the little bias offset mod i did and moved the (little light sensor,, i forgot the name) closer to the bulb, and now it sound wonderfull.. tryied again with some bias offset and did not like it.
Mathieu

spaceace76
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by spaceace76 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Xplorer, have you tried an octavia circuit without the octave (transformer and diodes) section?

this is supposedly the original Axis fuzz, and looking at the latest RM axis schematic, you can see there are lots of similarities