Power Attenuators!

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

LoudStroud
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Power Attenuators!

Post by LoudStroud » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:43 pm

Been on a tear over the past year trying out different power attenuators. Thought I'd share where I've landed and see what other units out there you guys like. Without boring you on the units I didn't like, here are my current faves, all of which I'm using...

Fryette PS-100 Power Station - Probably would've been fine with the original single channel 50 watt version, but went with the 100 watter for more options and headroom. This unit is my current favorite. It delivers the truest sound and feel of the amp, with plenty of EQ options to further tailor tone. Retains the punch, dimension and pick attack and is super versatile. For me, the big litmus test with any attentuator is how well it delivers clean tones, without adding that slight hazy fuzzy artifact and this unit stays really clean until you get to dropping to really low levels. But even then it's tolerable. Can mix/match impedances

Harley Benton 250 Watt Power Attenuator - For the price of $178 shipped, you might as well just buy it. It has the features you need, plenty of gradual level drops and feels good under the fingers. A slight bit of tone degradation as you drop to lower levels, but acceptable and totally fine at stage volume levels. And for the price and size to just have around the house? Hard to beat. Only has 8 & 16 impedance settings

De Lisle Power Attenuator - built into his Amp/Speaker cabinet switchers - Builder Jer Lisle will include a power attenuator in his switchers as an option. It has limited functionality, but for it's purpose, recording primarily, it does really well. It has one significant attenuation level and then from there you can bring it down gradually with a volume control. At time of ordering and expressing my concern about clean sound reproduction with high wattage amps, he said he has 200 watt inductors custom wound for that very purpose and it seems to do the trick. Tone, punch and feel is intact. Allows impedance mismatching as long as you have the amp set at 8 ohms and attenuator engaged.

Ultimate Attenuator - Up until lately, these units have been hard to beat and had been my go-to. Not sure if Mark Gregg is still making them, but you can find them out there used. The first reactive attenuator made, I'm pretty sure. Allows for impedance mismatching. When engaged you set the volume at any level.

UA OX - Decent, but not as good as the above units functioning as a stand alone attenuator. As a D.I. from amp head into recording system or board, using their speaker/ cab/ mic IR's, it's excellent.

And there's the trusty ol' THD Hot Plate. It's tone quality has been surpassed by the above, but I still have em and use em.

OK, the few I've tried recently or over the years and don't like....
Rivera Rock Crusher - First level of attenuation is a significant drop, more than I wanted. Didn't deliver clean tones well.
Tone King Iron Man - A lot of variety in attenuation levels, but didn't deliver clean tones well. Fuzzy distortion floating on top of signal.
Koch LB120 - Clunky unit, tone degradation, didn't deliver clean sounds well.
Marshall Power Brake - Pew! Stanky

What other units other do people like??