DIY pedal site!

Everything between your guitar and amp.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

gnugear

DIY pedal site!

Post by gnugear » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:46 pm

http://www.bigtonemusic.com/CloneMainPage.html

I just got their Rangemaster treble booster clone. I ran out of solder so I won't be able to build it until tomorrow. Gainfreak put one together and said it sounded terrific.

If all goes well, I'm going to build a silicon Fuzz and a TS808 clone next. :)

This is a great time for do it yourselfers!!
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

dosmun

Post by dosmun » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:43 am

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:17 pm

Hey GnuGear let me know how that sounds when you are done. Ive been thinking about the same kit myself. Possibly some clips would be cool too.

gnugear

Post by gnugear » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:17 pm

I put it together last night and it sounds fantastic! Very recommended!!:)
Gear:
'74 Super Lead rebuilt with '68 metro board and old stock mustards.
'73 Super Lead
'68 Basketweave with pre rola G12Ms
'70 Basketweave

bvmjethead

Post by bvmjethead » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:50 am

COOL!

I think I'll order a Tubescreamer clone and build that before I tackle the JTM 45 head kit.

Probably be good practice and cheaper to make mistakes on. :oops:

dosmun

Post by dosmun » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:23 am

Update of Best places for the DIY FX builder

www.generalguitargadgets.com has schematics and sells PC boards.
www.tonepad.com has schematics and sells PC boards.
www.runoffgroove.com has schematics
www.geofex.com great info
www.muzique.com great info
www.diystompboxes.com best info on the web for DIY FX and a forum with lots of Very knowledgeable people
www.smallbearelec.com best place to buy NOS GE trannies fx parts
www.mouser.com parts galore

I have bought pc boards from both GGG and Tonepad and they really make the more complicated fx a lot easier.

bvmjethead

Post by bvmjethead » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:38 am

Got my clone kits from http://www.buildyourownclone.com/ in the mail today.

I started with the Tubescreamer kit and it's done, AND the things sounds great.

Keith's site is such an excellent resource. The on-line instructions with detailed close up pictures really set me at ease. I was a little nervous about starting a Marshall JTM 45 kit with ZERO electronics building experience. I decided to start with a couple of stompboxes.

Very nice quality kits, excellent customer service. I'll be buying more from Keith in the very near future.

stevieraymock

Post by stevieraymock » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:42 pm

This is a great site!!!!! Thanks for sharing :D ...too bad u have to email for prices! :roll:

stevieraymock

Post by stevieraymock » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:42 pm

how much was the kit??

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:17 pm

Fuck it doubled in price!!! I was going to pick this kit up about a month back and it was just shy of $40, now its $70 I will probably just etch my own pcb for that then and get all the parts at ratshack or mouser.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:17 pm

I've always been a little leery of those kits because the minimal sound examples he has on his site sound pretty terrible, IMO (tonebender being a good example). I'd be curious to hear some clips from those that have built and used his diy tonebender or ranger. Any takers?

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:28 pm

Its funny how rare it is for a pedal manufacturer to get it. They always record horrible sounding clips that I would think would turn everybody off and I dont think its the sound quality because most clips floating around good and bad are shitty quality. These guys can build exact replicas but they dont know how to use them :D

Take fuzz for instance. Most manufacturers record clips with the fuzz full up and a Les Paul. Some even into a clean amp. Its just the most aweful sound. Then you get Mike Fuller (who I have no love for) or Dave Fox and a small number of guys who can really nail some of those sounds because they know how to use the pedals and make great sounds. I have a Bender clone and a homebrew Bender from GGG. I can easily hear how that sound clip your talking about sounds just like it but I would NEVER use that sound as an example :evil: If your gonna promote your stuff with sound clips then at least get someone to make a quick clip for you. Dont half ass it. I tend to never go by clips anyway though I love listening 8) That BYOC site looks like a really great site with great products. Best to not have any clips at all then clips you put there just so you can have something.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:02 pm

I agree with you. I just like to hear decent clips because it assures me that I'm not wasting my time and money on a project.

"Hey Pete, what's that?"
"Oh...that's just my $70 rangemaster paperweight."

Even as a kit provider, if you can't provide decent clips, you can go the route of a site like this which offers a variety of clips from users.

The clip I mentioned on the BYOC site reminds me of when I taste-tested my friend's axis fuzz through my blues deluxe at max fuzz....bloody awful. I'd love to hears some samples of the GGG bender if you have any.

Aaron0602

Post by Aaron0602 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:30 pm

http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com has awesome pages on the classic pedals. By far the best DIY pedal site I've seen for the pedals offered.

AL

Post by AL » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:22 pm

Go to one of the sites listed (GGG and Fuzz Central have parts lists) and then order the parts from here http://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html One stop shop.

AL