New JJ 6CA7's

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

axeman
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: New JJ 6CA7's

Post by axeman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:34 pm

You are absolutely correct that's my mistake. I'm still waiting for JJ Electronics reply on several of my questions. When they shipped my order I was under the impression they were tetrode type tube.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:15 pm

The JJ is probably not gonna be as tight and 'glassy' sounding as a Sylvania 6ca7, nor have as much high end. The sylvania tubes of the '70's were/are very stiff and (to some) sterile sounding. Very powerful, clean and clear, and DEPENDABLE. Fender liked that part, but alot of players prefered the previously used GE brand (for the 6l6 anyways)in thier Fender amps

Like mentioned earlier, the Sylvania/phillips 6ca7 is a tetrode, basically a 6l6 in design and sound, but manufactured to run at the higher voltages of an el-34. This produced a slightly bolder and compressed sound in certain amps.

I think that the JJ 6ca7 is probably a better sounding tube, overall, as compared to original Sylvania/Phillips 6ca7's, in most situations, especially when warmth is concerned, but hey, that tight, glassy big bottom high end of Sylvania 6ca7's is actually desirable for many (mainly EVH tone hunters, and old Hiwatt and Music Man amp owners).

The EH 6ca7 is as close as it gets as far as a new version of Sylvania/Phillips 6ca7 is concerned. In other words, if you aint likeing EH 6ca7's in your 12xxx spec Marshall, then you wont like the Sylvania's either.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:37 pm

I'm seriously thinking of getting a quad of these to try for my Super Bass. If they have a hint of 6L6 in them even if they ar not true Beam Tetrodes I think I would like them versus a True EL-34. :rock:

The only variant EL-34 I tried that I liked were MOValve KT-77's years ago which are Kinkless Tetrodes. I haven't read much more on these, has it been confirmed that these are Power Pentodes from Eurotubes? :what:

I seen one site called them Beam Tetrodes?

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:11 am

Yeah, I've seen them referred to as tetrodes as well as hearing they are pentodes ? One of the guy's at Eurotubes told me on the phone that they are pentodes. It wasnt the owner though. Also, this JJ 6ca7 isnt designed to be like a pre-existing tube, like most other tube companies shoot for (EH especially).

JJ is sort of like a tube company that isnt basing everything on the past. They take liberties in manufacturing and design, just like a tube company would have back in the day.

This 6ca7 is probably what your after, the guy told me that it has charectoristics (damn I cant spell anymore ) of an el-34, in that it has a slightly smoother mid response, BUT, he said it has a big full, round bottom, with slightly extended highs, which are more in the 6l6 family.

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:39 pm

I picked up a quad to see what these were like. Just inspecting them I really like them, the glass envelope is very thick, the tube has substantial weight to it, which I like, it has two getters and the plate seems very 6l6 ish, everything about them feel heavy duty to me so that is encouraging. I will report back once I hear them but I like the build quality so far.

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:36 pm

Anybody do any side by sides with Sylvania's? Eurotubes has a matched quad for the price of one Sylvania on fleabay. Did they clone the Sylvania or GE type with three round holes or square holes?

Just curious.

Thanks
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

axeman

Post by axeman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Huge Difference Sylvania's are Tetrode ant the JJ's are Pentodes.

54strat

Post by 54strat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 pm

I had a Winged C give it up recently and decided to try the new JJ 6CA7's...not bad at all!!! I'm not one to wax poetic about sound and tone like some. The bottom end is tighter than the Winged C 34's. They don't break up as early as 34's but still have nice harmonics. Some have said they are a little dark, I've been running the treble on 2 with the Winged C's so turning it up to 3 or so took care of the JJ's "dark". Nice sparkle, not shrill. I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Easier to get feedback than the Winged C's. I've been driving the neighbors crazy all week but will get to take it out for a real test drive this weekend. Matched quad at Amplified Parts for 68 bucks, free shipping, so what the heck, right? Not disappointed at all.
73 Marshall 1987
76 Marshall 1936 cab w/Celestion V-30's
54 Fender Stratocaster hardtail
87 Fender Stratocaster

54strat

Post by 54strat » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:03 pm

Played first gig last night with these tubes. Plenty of low end, but tight. Great harmonic content when over driven and nice, almost Fender-ish sparkle when guitar is backed off for rhythm. No sound check so I started off with volume knobs where I used to set them with EL34's and had to turn down after the first song. I really like these tubes.
73 Marshall 1987
76 Marshall 1936 cab w/Celestion V-30's
54 Fender Stratocaster hardtail
87 Fender Stratocaster

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:48 pm

Cool, great info there !

jcs

Post by jcs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:25 am

See how long they last.

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:47 am

I'm with jcs on this i've always found jj to be matched pretty well, however they bias drifted or became microphonic and lasted less than 5 hrs for the money they sound like a good tube I am very tempted to get some and try em out but i am not putting near any of my vintage amps until i've tried them in a replica least if a replica goes it's easier to replace parts than a vintage marshall.

I am very biased to chinese tubes how do they compare as the chinese use thicker glass and extended the plates (not sure what that means but that was what a tube expert told me) it's nice to see companies start to catch on to thicker glass etc.

if these tubes hold up well i'm very interested. does anyone know how long they take to burn in yet?
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall

thetasigma

Post by thetasigma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:25 pm

I have been using a pair of JJ 6CA7s in my 68 spec 50 watt combo now for about 5 months and I've been quite pleased with them. At first I thought they were going microphonic, but it was a PI tube. I use a PPIMV but the tubes sound quite good when the volume is cranked up to ten. To me, they are a good mid point between an EL-34 and 6L6. They're not sterile, though I have noticed that they take a little longer to warm up than an EL34, and this may just be me, because I notice when I first take the amp off standby the lowend is not there, but after about five minutes all the frequencies start to come through.

Just my $.02.
-Nathan

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:55 pm

I'd like to know how these compare to the EH 6CA7...similar? better? worse?
Walter

"There's no great thing in being a soloist. I think the hardest thing is to play together with a lot of people, and do it right." - Angus Young, 1984

stef

Post by stef » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:21 am

wdelaney72 wrote:I'd like to know how these compare to the EH 6CA7...similar? better? worse?
me too :scratch: