Tung Sol Reissue 12AX7 not for CF stage !!!

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

brujo
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Tung Sol Reissue 12AX7 not for CF stage !!!

Post by brujo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:12 pm

I recently auditioned Tung-Sol 12AX7s for my new plexi style builds, they're not really bad soundwise (noy my favourite though, a bit on the dull side for my taste).
I tested them in my tube tester, and the emission test reads lower than every other 12AX7 I compared to (NOS and new production). I don't know if it is a regular issue on them, but the 6 units I had on hand measured really low,.
In the other hand, Tung-Sol Reissue 12AX7 Gold Pin seems to be one of the finest new production 12AX7 available, along with the Mullard reissue ECC83.

Perhaps this has something to do with the CF issue you had. I tried them in CF stages and behaved so-so, but never died, well they died in a Mesa Stileto Deuce ST2, but that amp needs an ugly chinese 12AX7 in CF anyways...
Argie Amps - Argentina

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:45 am

Anyway it seems, that they've changed the insulation around the filament inside the cathode meanwhile - but nonetheless I don't trust TungSol's in CF stages, because it's simply embarassing, if at a life show the amp dies suddenly during the nicest solo.

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

darkbluemurder

Post by darkbluemurder » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:57 am

novosibir wrote:if at a life show the amp dies suddenly during the nicest solo.
Speaking of dying, meanwhile 3 of the 4 Tungsol RIs I bought have died - one in the phase inverter spot, one in the preamp caused the amp to jump up and down in volume, and another in the preamp died after just one month. The last one alive - I don't really know where to use it:

- you cannot use it in cathode follower stages so V2 is out
- you cannot use it in phase inverter stages so V3 is out, too
- I cannot use it as V1 because it hums - other preamp tubes do not hum

So the only place I could use it is in a 4 gain stage amp without a CF - pretty limited use for my taste.

You may say that a sample of just 4 tubes is not representative - but with a 75% definite failure rate which can only go up I am not going to take any more chances. I stick to what I wrote earlier and keep on running from them.

Cheers Stephan

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:22 am

Stephan, check the date code on the tubes!
Maybe yours were from 2009 or early 2010 production?

Larry

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Spam still here then I see...
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

novosibir

Post by novosibir » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Thanks demonufo!
User banned, post removed.

Larry

darkbluemurder

Post by darkbluemurder » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:05 am

novosibir wrote:Stephan, check the date code on the tubes!
Maybe yours were from 2009 or early 2010 production?

Larry
Hi Larry,

Too late, I already tossed them except for the last one. They could have been early 2009 ones, I would need to check the purchase bills but definitely not from 2010.

Cheers Stephan

Lefty Lou

Post by Lefty Lou » Sat May 12, 2012 4:02 pm

It's strange about this issue with Tung Sol Reissue 12AX7 tubes, which kind of reminds me of the old Groove Tubes 12AX7M (Mullard) tubes pre-Fender acquisition, that I had pretty good luck with. Somewhere around the time of Groove Tubes acquisition by Fender the quality of the GT 12AX7M's suffered. On the other had (with regards to Tung Sol re-issues) I have had great luck with their 5881 re-issues. I am currently using the 5881 re-issues in my 94-95' Fender VRRI amp with great results and am aware of the 450 Volts max. handling on the plates, and some warnings not to use in amps with SS rectifiers. I've never measured the plate voltages of my VRRI, but I wouldn't doubt one bit that the tubes are meeting or exceeding that max. rating however, these tubes are doing the job quite well for me so I'm satisfied. I love the old Saratov KT-66's and use an unmatched Silver Series GT version pair in my Black Flag JTM45/JTM50 custom built head. I lucked into finding another pair of Silvers Series GT Saratov KT-66's at my local Guitar Center before they became hard to find (these tubes are consistently great). My JTM45/JTM50 head has a Heyboer JTM45 PT and a MM JTM50 OT meant for EL-34's so I run the head at half the impedance of what the cabinet(s) (is/are) rated at.

This favorable review was given by John Templeton @ thetubesstore.com regarding the Tung Sol 12AX7 reissue, " There are only so many ways to describe tube tone and most have become cliches. The Tung-Sol 12AX7 has the gain and drive of a Chinese 12AX7 and the pure tone of a Mullard or Brimar from the U.K. I've had two people come to me recently with amps they thought were in need of complete overhauls. In both cases, careful examination revealed no serious problems and all the tubes "tested" as good. At the end of the day, I replaced the NOS Mullard and RCA pre-amps (one in each amp) with a reissue Tung-Sol 12AX7. In both cases the owners were very impressed and thought that their amps had been restored to full health. Believe it or Not."

It's just too bad that there is no consistency among tube brands and types these days which makes it a crapshoot when selecting tubes, not to mention the costs involved if you have to eat tubes due to non liberal return policies.