Tung Sol Reissue 12AX7 not for CF stage !!!

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

DNeafsey

Re: Tung Sol Reissue 12AX7 not for CF stage !!!

Post by DNeafsey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:15 pm

The Tung Sol RI in V2 in my JTM45 lasted about 2 months and 12 gigs till it started to go on the last 2 tunes of my gig last weekend. It slowly died. I had to keep turning up the amp. I swapped it out remembering this thread and sure enough the amp was all good again.

What do you guys use instead of the Tung Sol in V2. I am not a fan of the JJ's so what else is there that will hold up besides NOS?

Dan
Hand Built JTM45 with cool stuff inside.

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by novosibir » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:38 pm

DNeafsey wrote:What do you guys use instead of the Tung Sol in V2.
In my own amps I'm exclusively using NOS glass, so there this problem can't arise at all.
But in 'the other amps' of my customers, especially in the Marshalls in the case of an amp service I'm usually using the Chinese 12AX7 or the JJ ECC803S in the V2 spot with good results.

But also avoid the Sovtek 12AX7-LPS as V2, because this tube might have the same issue!
The Sovtek EH IMO is too much compressing and the JJ ECC83S sometimes too brittle.

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

baron55

Post by baron55 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:41 pm

I second the Shuguang 12AX7 from China , great new stock tubes. Get the from a reputable dealer. TAD, and Ruby are good reseller/testers of these tubes.

darkbluemurder

Post by darkbluemurder » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:24 am

I like the Chinese tubes as they seem to have no to few issues. I also had good experience with the JJ803S in the PI. I didn't like them as much in V1 as they tend to be a bit microphonic. Didn't try them in V2 yet.

Cheers Stephan

sunnydaze

Post by sunnydaze » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:10 am

I've got a 5F6A (59 fender bassman) circuit I built - as you know, this circuit became the JTM 45 when marshall built it using Brit parts. But both amps tend to cook one of the cathodes on V2 with around 180 vdc. I had a lot of trouble with tubes here too, especicially the tung sols, which do sound sweet and seem to do OK in V1. The tell tale sign is a loss of volume - means v2 is dying...

But I found the 12ax's with the shortplates do much better in the V2 spot. Also tried those new Techtubes being built in what used to be the mullard factory in England.

http://www.techtubevalves.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -check 'em out. At least they're trying to build new tubes.

So far that one is doing OK, too. I live in Taiwan, and was able to get some old RCA short blackplates, those sound sweet and can take the heat in any spot.

Be it an 5F6A bassman or JTM45, it's one heckuva circuit, sounds amazing, imho still the best after all these years.

Clammy

Post by Clammy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Dredging up an oldie here, but I have a question: I have RI Tung-Sols, I bought a few months ago, in V2 and V3 of my '74 Super Bass (V1 is sporting a NOS Mullard CV4024). Recently, I've noticed that the amp seems to lose volume during practice as the evening wears on. Is this a sign that the tube in V2 is on the way out?

Thanks.

Cheers!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by Clammy on Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:06 pm

More likely the power tubes. The tungsol problem usually involved them dying pretty quick in v2, but I haven't heard of it happening for a while now.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Clammy

Post by Clammy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:35 pm

demonufo wrote:More likely the power tubes. The tungsol problem usually involved them dying pretty quick in v2, but I haven't heard of it happening for a while now.
I hope it's not the power tubes... they're fairly new JJ KT88s.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers!

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:46 am

I had a very similar problem with my '84 4104 for several months before the OT finally went totally dead on it.
I hope for your sake it isn't that! :(

I only mention this because the problem cleared itself after I replaced the OT.

Clammy

Post by Clammy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:41 am

demonufo wrote:I had a very similar problem with my '84 4104 for several months before the OT finally went totally dead on it.
I hope for your sake it isn't that! :(

I only mention this because the problem cleared itself after I replaced the OT.
It's not a major drop in volume, but noticeable after playing for a while. I had the OT on my '73 SB go on me. Got it rewound by Marstran, and the amp sounds better than it ever did. If the OT goes on the '74, I'll go that route again. But, it isn't experiencing the same symptoms as the 73 when the OT was dying on it (which was: MAJOR volume loss and super fizzy sounding).

I have 1 brand new Tung Sol 12AX7, that I'm going to try swapping into V2 tonight, just to see if it makes any difference.

Cheers!

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:56 pm

Clammy wrote: It's not a major drop in volume, but noticeable after playing for a while.
Mine wasn't major either. I had to think quite hard as to whether or not I was imagining it at times.

Clammy

Post by Clammy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:13 pm

demonufo wrote:
Clammy wrote: It's not a major drop in volume, but noticeable after playing for a while.
Mine wasn't major either. I had to think quite hard as to whether or not I was imagining it at times.
Well, I swapped in the new Tung-Sol, and the volume stayed steady throughout the jam. Interesting... I have a bunch of NOS RCA 12AX7s on the way from Tube Tramp, so I'll be removing the Tung-Sols altogether soon.

Cheers!

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:41 pm

Clammy wrote:
demonufo wrote:
Well, I swapped in the new Tung-Sol, and the volume stayed steady throughout the jam. Interesting... I have a bunch of NOS RCA 12AX7s on the way from Tube Tramp, so I'll be removing the Tung-Sols altogether soon.

Cheers!
Good move. Those GE 12AX7's he has are a cracking good deal too.

Clammy

Post by Clammy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:21 pm

demonufo wrote:
Clammy wrote: Well, I swapped in the new Tung-Sol, and the volume stayed steady throughout the jam. Interesting... I have a bunch of NOS RCA 12AX7s on the way from Tube Tramp, so I'll be removing the Tung-Sols altogether soon.

Cheers!
Good move. Those GE 12AX7's he has are a cracking good deal too.
I installed the RCA 12AX7s in my '73 and '74 Super Basses, and WOW!!! What a difference!! it REALLY made a huge difference in the '74. More volume, rounder tone, more sustain, more "balls"!!! :D These tubes sound fantastic!!!

Cheers!

johniss0001

Post by johniss0001 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:28 pm

those rcas are fantastic that terry has i bought 7 of them for my amps, plus 3 rfts and 4 british valves of his selection, the rcas sound not bad in my jtm 45 reissue but then that needs better parts, rft not tried in my 69sl and the other tubes i put in my marshall super pa and jeesus that thing is insane!
John Ross

Respect the FATHER OF LOUD Jim Marshall