Water damage?

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Mars Hall
Just the numbers in order: 7

Water damage?

Post by Mars Hall » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:25 am

Being vacuum tubes, is there anything to be worried about, 75% of my tube collection got soaked last night? I took everything out of the boxes and dried them off. :palm: :help:
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

Brian Wallace
Supporting Advertiser

Re: Water damage?

Post by Brian Wallace » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:01 pm

If water was to get into the tube, it wasn't any good to begin with. No worries IMO.
Patience is a virtue.

Wallace amps

Wallace forum

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Brian Wallace wrote:If water was to get into the tube, it wasn't any good to begin with. No worries IMO.
As I figured, thanks for the reply Brian. The only thing I thought might be an issue would be corrosion on the pins. They were thoroughly dried. Still sucks all those old tube boxes are soaked. Hopefully they will stay in one piece when they dry.

Had a towel over it, but my current project, a Magnatone M15 amp chassis got a little wet. I immediately put a blow dryer on it.

I thought all of my basement water wars were over when I had Permaseal do my house. This water came from the bathroom above! :what:
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

Guitar-Sam
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Guitar-Sam » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:23 pm

If the water came from the bathroom above sounds like you better start lookin for leaks. Hope it aint the wax ring on the toilet or your gonna have some nasty smellin tube boxes. :palm:
I would think the tubes would be fine especially 12ax7 el84 types that have the pins come right out of the glass base.I'd be a little worried about the el34 6l6 types with the fiber bases as they may retain water between the base and glass and could cause corrosion. Just a theory but something to think about.
74' Stratocaster
Several Frankenstrats
Orange Tiny Terror & PPC 1x12 cab
Marshall 2210
69' Marshall 4x12 "B" cab
Dean Markley CD-60