Tubes everywhere but don't touch

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Tubes everywhere but don't touch

Post by rgorke » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:12 pm

There is a guy who has a small TV/radio repair shop in my town. He has played at the Grand Ole Oprey, so he gets music and tone. I have asked him for over a year if he had any 12AX7s or even 6CA7s laying around. He said he would look. Everytime I peak my head in he says he hasn't had a chance. You can barely walk in this place with the literlly 1000s of old radios, etc. in there. Last week I poked my head in and he said he had found a few but wanted to test them before giving them to me. I looked on a radio just to my left and there was a 12AX7 sitting there. I said, "Here's one." He said, take it and see how it works. Turns out it is a GE labeled Mullard I61. Sounds fantastic...AND JUST SITTING THERE IN AN INCH OF DUST.

UGH. I want him to give me 30 minutes in there. I have seen 6 or 8 boxes of tubes just sitting there.

Just need to vent.....
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

master keeper

Re: Tubes everywhere but don't touch

Post by master keeper » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:44 pm

That's just insane!!!

I've got a guy here that is just the same way. He even told a friend of mine (he doesn't know we're friends) that managed to pry a few old EL84 from his hands, specificly not to tell me that he had a shitload of NOS tubes! :scratch: :fight: :fight: :stars:

That guy has his store about half a mile from my house... :twisted: I've been trying for 3 years to get into his stash... :evil:

Rockbert
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Rockbert » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:58 pm

:mrgreen: I think there is a certain personality type, who is likely to stash a huge pile of tubes, and keep hoarding them even if not needed...

I know a guy like that, his garage is packed solid and I think you can't walk through his house either except on very narrow paths. Tubes, old radios, test equipment, etc. But he's a nice guy and doesn't mind selling stuff, so I get some good tubes from him occasionally.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:39 pm

I think what bugs me most is his hot and cold personality. If he just said, No stop bugging me. Then that is fine. But the, here are some, no not for you. I feel like I am in line for the soup Nazi.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:27 pm

He just hooked me up with a bunch of Telefunkens both Fisher and Dynaco labeled. The rest are GEs, 5751, etc.

He tested them for leaks and shorts so, it worked out. It only took 3 YEARS!!!

master keeper

Post by master keeper » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:02 pm

rgorke wrote: only took 3 YEARS!!!
:lol:

I'm still waitin for the guy over here to get it. In the meantime I just got 2 blackburn EL34 double getter, absolutely pristine for 100usd shipped. Also got a pair of '72 RFT for 50usd last week.:toast:

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:35 am

My "guy" also says he has some EL34s in there somewhere. Mullards he says. I have also been asking him for Sylvania 6CA7s. Maybe another 3 years. :palm:

bobtec

Post by bobtec » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:47 pm

I got a bunch of Muls from my next door neighbor,His dad was into radio and has box unopened I walked away with $2,000 worth of NIB NOS Muls, RCA and Sylvania's.I have tubes until I die..... :D