For Those Using EH 6CA7s

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Ted B
Just the numbers in order: 7

For Those Using EH 6CA7s

Post by Ted B » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:32 am

One thing I've noticed about these tubes is when the volume is turned up, I can definitely see the screen grids glowing brightly along as heavy chords are played. This seems a bit odd to me, or I just don't recall that being so conspicuous. I didn't note this with the EL34s I used to get the amp going initially, so I'm not inclined to think it's an oscillation issue. It's probably just the physical design of the tube makes this more visible than others, and it predictably occurs most prevalently in the most inboard power tube (fed by the 82k side of the PI), but I'm curious to know if others have had a similar observation with these. It's probably normal, but ...

Anyone else get the same thing?

axeman

Re: For Those Using EH 6CA7s

Post by axeman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:31 am

That is completely normal; a lot of brands do that.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Whats your opinion on the 'tone' of these EH 6ca7's Ted. Your 12xxx looks killer by the way :thumbsup: .
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Ted B

Post by Ted B » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:44 pm

Glad you like it. I just wanted something a lil' different. :wink:

As for the EH 6CA7s, they definitely have a harder edge than EL34s, which should be the case with a true 6CA7 beam power tetrode. I can't say they are an exacting dead ringer for the original RCA/Sylvanias, but they appear to be a big step in the right direction - definitely good enough to do the job and sound convincing.

DaveMcLain

Post by DaveMcLain » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:05 pm

One of the guitar players in my band uses a Sovtek Mig 60 head and some pedals and we've been using the Electro Harmonix 6CA7's in that amp for the last couple of years. For a very long time we had used the JJ E34L's and we switched to these tubes because they gave the amp a bit more bite and headroom which is great in his setup. We also tested the Electro Harmonix KT88's which really kicked but were more "brassy" sounding and thus the 6CA7 seemed to be the best overall compromise.

The Mig 60 runs about 600 volts B+ but it's been a very reliable and great sounding amp that I've only repaired a couple of times.

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Really? I have read many bad things about these tubes in such awesome threads across the interweb as "MY AMP SOUNDS SICK WHAT HAVE I DONE" and "HELP WITH BIARTONG MY NEW AMP WITH ^CA&S!"

600 volts? I used to use the 6ca7s in my supers, but haven't bought a set in many years. I am VERY interested in these tubes. It's what is missing at the frets between my fingers. If I could just get in the ball park, I'd be overjoyed.

Really? I will take your word for it, and pick up a few.
not kicking the dead horse

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:42 pm

These are decent tubes. EH preamp tubes suck and their El34 isn't anything special, but these I like.
Walter

"There's no great thing in being a soloist. I think the hardest thing is to play together with a lot of people, and do it right." - Angus Young, 1984