Mullard Xf2 vs. Xf4

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Brandon
Just the numbers in order: 7

Mullard Xf2 vs. Xf4

Post by Brandon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Hey everyone.

I have been on a mission to find Mullard EL34 xf2's and have had no luck finding them from a reliable source.

I have on the other hand found a quad of xf4's from a reliable source for a good price.

My question is, what differences, if any, are present between the two?

My source says there is very little difference and the xf2's are over hyped, but I would like to hear what you guys have to say.

Should I go with the xf4's as they will be ultimately similar, or should I keep searching for the xf2's?

EDIT: some info about my amp, metropoulos early 1969 specs, split cathode, into a cab with g12h30s

stump

Re: Mullard Xf2 vs. Xf4

Post by stump » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:49 pm

I find them to be very close and really couldn't tell the difference in the same amp. I had 2 pairs of XF2's, one single and one dual getter pair, that sounded slightly different than each other which is similar to the difference when compared to XF3's and XF4's. The basic Mullard tone is there on all of them. XF4's sound just fine and to me a big price difference wouldn't justify the XF2's.

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Mullard Xf2 vs. Xf4

Post by demonufo » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:13 pm

I find quite a lot of difference between the two to be honest (especially when I had either fitted to a hi-fi integrated EL34 amp I used to have).

The main difference for me, is that I have had XF4 failures, and they are definitely not as well built, or as rugged in use. I've only got 1 working XF4 left now (out of 4), and haven't had an XF2 fail to date despite a heck of a lot of hours on 1 of my quads(actually two pairs). My other XF2's are for rainy days and studio time only.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!