Wow!

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

54strat
Just the numbers in order: 7

Wow!

Post by 54strat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Bass player in my band gave me a couple of large boxes full of tubes he got from some old ham radio guy.
One box is mostly old TV/Radio stuff, radio transmitter tubes, rectifiers, all kinds of weird looking stuff, but I did find a bunch of JAN 6SN7 power tubes in the original boxes...mostly RCA. So far I know they are still popular in stereo/hi-fi amps. Any guitar amps use these?

The second box had a bunch of loose junk tubes on top...old 6 series pre-tubes, sub minis...but when I got that stuff out of the way I hit pay dirt. Two cigar boxes FULL of pre-tubes.

40 or so 12AT7's RCA/GE/Sylvania AND three GE labeled Mullards. They are all used and a few obviously look used up with little or no flashing left, but the large majority still look like they may have some life left. I did find one, still in the box, Sylvania 6201 Gold Pin 12AT7.

I also found a couple dozen 12AX7's RCA/GE/Sylvania and three Tung-Sol's. AND I have three Sylvania 5751's. Same condition as the 12AT7's; used, a few obviously shot, most appear to have some life left.

I do not have a tube tester so I can only try the better looking ones in an amp. Of the stuff I mentioned who likes what in what positions?
73 Marshall 1987
76 Marshall 1936 cab w/Celestion V-30's
54 Fender Stratocaster hardtail
87 Fender Stratocaster

Big Mike
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Wow!

Post by Big Mike » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:55 pm

12AT7's can be nice in the PI's.

Any of those old 12AX7's in V1 will kick ass. 5751's are decent there, but better in V2 or PI of a Marshall.

The 6SN7 might work int he old 50's fender deluxe (pre-5e3)

nice stuff.
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee