Recomend me great tubes for a *(1986)Bass 50 Metro Kit

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

sdlogan9

Recomend me great tubes for a *(1986)Bass 50 Metro Kit

Post by sdlogan9 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:58 pm

I have a really nice Metro Bass 50 Watter -

I am looking for some really good advice one what tubes sound best in something like this!!

Peace
Shane

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Recomend me great tubes for a *(1986)Bass 50 Metro Kit

Post by demonufo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:14 am

Current production?

New Old Stock?

Price range?
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

54strat
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by 54strat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:37 am

Current production....
For power tubes I am absolutely sold on JJ's big bottle 6CA7. I have not heard about any one trying them and NOT loving them. If you just have to have EL34's then Winged =C= are generally considered to be the best...but a little pricier. I used Winged =C= EL34 until I tried the JJ 6CA7.
For pre-amp tubes I'd go with JJ ECC83 gold pins. Some will chime in about gold plating being $nake oil...the quality of these tubes really has nothing to do with the gold plating. JJ really does appear to pick out their better tubes for plating. I have gold pin and regular and there IS a difference. Plenty of gain and less noise.
Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7A is another great choice for V-1. A little more 3-D/vintage sounding than JJ. Lots of reports about some Russian tubes not being able to survive over 250v in V-2 position so be careful there. For V-2 stay with JJ or Chinese.
But I am perfectly happy with JJ 6CA7/gold pin ECC 83 combination in my 73 Marshall 1987 converted to Bass specs.
73 Marshall 1987
76 Marshall 1936 cab w/Celestion V-30's
54 Fender Stratocaster hardtail
87 Fender Stratocaster

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:58 am

Pretty sure the Tung-Sol issue is all in the past.
But they do make more of a difference in V1 than anywhere else.

The JJ longplate ECC803 is a real nice V1 tube too.

54strat

Post by 54strat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:31 pm

I want to try JJ's 803 just haven't got around to it yet. Demon have you tried the 6CA7 yet? I've been running them for over a year now. After I first put them in for a couple of weeks, I put a good pair of Winged C 34's back in just to compare again, and could not get the 6CA7's back in fast enough!
73 Marshall 1987
87 Fender Stratocaster

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:20 pm

I must admit, I haven't. I haven't had anybody request anything that would require them as yet. Mostly I fit Winged C or JJ EL34 (when requested) in EL34 amps. I have tried EH EL34's in the past, and wasn't impressed on their lifespan, or the tone for that matter. I don't use any CP stuff for myself either since I have a very nice stash. Including a pair of mint triple getter Sylvania 6CA7's that I haven't even brought myself round to trying in my amps yet. Really must get round to that. :lol:

However, the price for the EH 6CA7 is quite attractive on this side of the pond, as a good alternative to EL34's. Perhaps I'll talk somebody else into me trying them out in their amp... :lol: (with a little sneaky test in my amp first, for safety reasons, you understand :wink: )

54strat

Post by 54strat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:48 pm

I know a lot of guys like the EH 6CA7's. For less than the price of a pair of Winged =C= 34's I bought a quad of JJ 6CA7's when they came out just to try them and have spares...still using the first pair over a year and a half now and haven't touched the spares. They still have not wavered bias or sound wise! I gig two or three weekends a month and am curious to see how long they'll go...
73 Marshall 1987
87 Fender Stratocaster

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:22 am

Ahhhh, of course, you were referring to the JJ's. Apart from Watford Valves, nobody in the UK stocks the JJ 6CA7 (or at least, out of the three other suppliers I use). And and Watfords prices, uh, I'll pass. The only time I'll go back there is if I'm desperate for more Brimar 6V6GT's. And again, at the prices, I'd have to be really desperate. (Their quoted prices are without VAT. Everybody else charges about the same with VAT INCLUSIVE)

I have tried JJ KT77's with good results though. Just not my sort of thing. I normally keep a pair of those in stock, just in case anybody a bit heavier brings an amp in.

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 am

Well... I can get a quad of these for 53 pounds excluding shipping so it's not much better here. But I'll probably get them anyway because I'm too curious. :)
demonufo wrote:Ahhhh, of course, you were referring to the JJ's. Apart from Watford Valves, nobody in the UK stocks the JJ 6CA7 (or at least, out of the three other suppliers I use). And and Watfords prices, uh, I'll pass. The only time I'll go back there is if I'm desperate for more Brimar 6V6GT's. And again, at the prices, I'd have to be really desperate. (Their quoted prices are without VAT. Everybody else charges about the same with VAT INCLUSIVE)

I have tried JJ KT77's with good results though. Just not my sort of thing. I normally keep a pair of those in stock, just in case anybody a bit heavier brings an amp in.

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:34 am

Haha, after you add the VAT from Watford Valves a quad is £67.20 + shipping. Definitely best avoided.

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:25 am

DEFinitely 6CA7s for a 1986, it will only accentuate the round bottom and keep the top tight. I love the EH ones. Cool tip on the JJ Golds, I gotta try them in my preez. :thumbsup:
dave

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:44 pm

:idea: Terry ships overseas and packs bomb proof.
I like the JJ's, but haven't tried the EH's yet.
Shuguang's are good in both power & pre's.
How 'bout E34L's since it's a *(1986)Bass. The y have a fraction more headroom...

The hardest to find, atleast for me; I would love to try a metal base, but finding a quad or even a pair (manufatured in the 50's), would be futile.... and $$$ wow ! I'd be happy with any fat bottle Sylvy or G.E. My choice 6ca7

demonufo with a super rare pair of mint triple getter Sylvania's. FRICKEN AWESOME ! What's the candidate amp ? A JTM or a 1987 ?
Play 'em ! Don't look at 'em ! :wink:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:06 pm

JimiJames wrote:demonufo with a super rare pair of mint triple getter Sylvania's. FRICKEN AWESOME ! What's the candidate amp ? A JTM or a 1987 ?
Play 'em ! Don't look at 'em ! :wink:
Haha, yeah, I'm a 2204 nut (well, basically 2204's anyway) so they're not the best match. I'll get round to trying them eventually, but I suspect they'll probably have to wait till I do a '68 1987 build to REALLY appreciate them. Even then, I really like XF2's, so I probably won't keep them in for long. :whistle:

But they're mine muuwaaaahaaahaaaa... all mine........

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Bastage ! :lol:
Yeah, I'm thinking for a serious build, those are great choice in a pair or the XF2's like you say. You win both ways :D
The OP is targeting a *(1986)Bass so I'm guessing a tube with headroom... :shrug:
I had an amp with a plexi-type circuit that was biased for 6550's which gave me nice cleans and enough dirt for blues.
Then biased for EL34's and lost the cleans at near same levels and break up was much sooner. Works both ways and makes it easier to decide which direction ↨ to go with a target tone.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

demonufo

Post by demonufo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:36 am

Indeed. For a few more pointers to the OP...

Winged C EL34 - Classic Marshall-y crunch. Compresses nicely. Nice thick mids.
JJ E34L - EL34 style with a little less top, a little more bottom end and a little more punch. Not quite as compressed or gainy.
JJ KT77 - again, similar-ish to EL34, a little less mid, quite a bit more tighter bottom end.
6CA7 - will have similar character to EL34's, with a smidgen less mids, tighter bass, slightly more headroom/less compression and a tad less gainy.
6550 - Bolder, punchier, more top end, solid bottom end, less mids, less gain, less compression, much more kick in the chest.

Your mileage will vary, however, but it should give you some food for thought. Not that we've heard back from the OP, mind...

Pre's, I highly recommend searching for a NOS Sylvania Long-Plate for V1 (clearer, fuller tube than many, not so fat in the mids), and just slam a couple of decent CP tubes in V2 and V3.