New Tubes vs old Tubes

The good, the bad and the ugly.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Just Mike
Just the numbers in order: 7

New Tubes vs old Tubes

Post by Just Mike » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:16 am

Just thinking out loud here...They don't make tubes like they used to. That's a given. But we have the specs on both so we know the differences. Can't the surrounding circuitry be changed to compensate for differences in the tubes?
Maybe I'm missing something here. Are old tubes coveted because they sound better than current production or because of their unique unobtanium sound?

Joshabr1
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: New Tubes vs old Tubes

Post by Joshabr1 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:26 pm

Old tubes do sound better. But I think one of the main reasons they are so coveted is they last way longer than current production tubes.

Haze13
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: New Tubes vs old Tubes

Post by Haze13 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:43 pm

I've asked same question less than 2 hours ago on "Nos Tubes" tread... The answer was that radioactive chemicals like barium and strontium were used to create a coating on the cathode.
Nothing is impossible, but you need a room that is shielded so the radiation won't leak to the outside and a educated people with a proper equipment just for doing a shielding on the tiny thing that goes to the small vacuum tube.
Even If this will be the most desirable tube that every one will wont to buy, just the whole setup for this kind of work will cost a fortune! In the Saratov (where EHX, Thung-sols, Gold Lions, new-SED's, Sovteks and probably the Mulards and every other tube that are Russian Made) in the Reflector factory, there is no such equipment and it's not possible to build there such a thing.
May be some where, where the plutonium or some other nuclear or radioactive thing are being made, "they" can do the these cathodes :rock:

Well if "THEY" will do some of the sort, may be THEY'll change the filament too, from tungsten to ceramic:) Same heat just more efficient!